FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Jasmine Tree Rumors
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Jasmine Tree Rumors
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-13 12:19 pm   Permalink

Please nobody worry about being ostracised from the tribe, we are all sinners.
I confessed to breaking the FIRST commandment right there in the post, and I am sure many of us are guilty of coveting our neighbours Tiki, but we are weak...

The Tiki Cult does not prohibit the practice of other religions or non-Exotica music listening. I like early Ska, too. Josh Agle is a huge Calypso fan. Just don't say it's TIKI.

Like 'Bahama Mama' and "Sex on the Beach" are NOT Tiki Drinks.

And don't come back with that "Oh, Tiki always was a tropical island mish mash..."

Tiki has a specific iconic tradititon and symbol language that is very complex, but I believe has been adequately introduced in the BOT. The fine balance of Beachcomber, Trader and Polynesian clichees is easily upset by an unsure eye and fickle sense of style.

But as in classic Polynesian Pop, an inventive concept with an intelligent sense of humor can always broaden the rules, off course. Tiki is not a dead religion, but a living tradition.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Selector Lopaka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-13 12:41 pm   Permalink

Interestingly (at least to me) my love of reggae and exotica have formed along side each other. I was introduced to reggae via Peter Tosh on Saturday Night Live in the early 1980s as a youth, and I was introduced to exotica via Martin Denny by a musical mentor friend late one evening at least 15 years ago. I continue to delve deeply into both genres simultaneously, and always have my ears open for more of both. I love other genres of music too, if you can believe it. That said, I am fully aware of what music is appropriate where. You'll never hear exotica and reggae back to back in my DJ set, but select reggae can pop up in the latter part of my set. In a tiki envirnonment nothing else comes close to exotica and it's Polynesian influenced relatives. I'm just shocked that bigbrotiki has two of my loves at odds with each other in a list of commandments no less. I can handle being an iconoclast among iconoclasts . Apologies, for completely going off the course of the original topic of this post.

Edited to add:
Bigbrotiki,
Thanks for your eloquent response. You are so right on! I find it interesting as we all have other interests outside of tiki, it's important to be aware where the lines are when meshing our other interests with it. I just had to defend my reggae.

[ This Message was edited by: Selector Lopaka on 2003-11-13 12:51 ]

View Profile of Selector Lopaka Send a personal message to Selector Lopaka  Email Selector Lopaka Goto the website of Selector Lopaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMaxton
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-14 08:41 am   Permalink

I wonder if we could maybe split the commandments/reggae conversation off to another topic - ordinarily I'm not a stickler, but there's developing news on the Jasmine Tree front so there will likely be more posts that are on topic and of interest to those who don't want to see another tiki bar shut down...

That being said, I've heard a new report on the fate of the JT: Apparently it wasn't a light rail issue, but an expansion plan for Portland State University that was threatening JT. My understanding is that the owners refused to sell, and that now the city is considering condemning the property in order to snag it for PSU expansion. I need to dig more deeply into this. MrTikiBar and I hope to meet at JT tonight or tomorrow to find out more, and I have a reporter friend who might be able to help.

We'll find out everything we can about the status, and if they're going to close, we'll do whatever we can to secure some of the stuff. How many of you would be interested in coming to Portland for an auction, should it come to that?

View Profile of TikiMaxton Send a personal message to TikiMaxton  Email TikiMaxton Goto the website of TikiMaxton ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-15 9:10 pm   Permalink

Tikimaxton, Tikitronic and I visited the Jasmine Tree yesterday evening. I'll let Tikimaxton give you the full story but the good news is Jasmine Tree will stay open at least until 2005. It will definitely be part of the upcoming NW Tiki Crawl II.

View Profile of mrtikibar Send a personal message to mrtikibar  Email mrtikibar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-15 11:22 pm   Permalink

Phew, that's good news for now. Sorry Mark that I went off on that commandments thing, at that point it sounded the situation was not going to develop further...I am all for splitting it of...but now things seem to have righted themselves for a while, anyway.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seamus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-16 09:32 am   Permalink

Thanks for the update. Good work! But don't breathe too easy and turn your back. You gotta watch out for those Metro bastards up there in Stumptown. That nonelected gestapo have more power than the Governor. Once thet get something on their "agenda" theres no telling what might happen.

View Profile of seamus Send a personal message to seamus  Email seamus Goto the website of seamus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMaxton
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-17 4:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-11-15 23:22, bigbrotiki wrote:
Sorry Mark that I went off on that commandments thing,

No problem, BigBro - I do it myself all the time. I just got worried 'cause new news seemed to be coming in daily and I wanted to be able to diseminate it accurately as I got it.

So yes, the bulldozers are at bay until, as we were told, "at least the winter of 2005". So the 2004 crawl is safe. But I'm hanging on to my sources, and I'll post new info as it arises.

View Profile of TikiMaxton Send a personal message to TikiMaxton  Email TikiMaxton Goto the website of TikiMaxton ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-02-16 3:14 pm   Permalink

I came across the following article on Portland's Jasmine Tree. It doesn't look look too good.

In a nutshell, the Portland Development Commission issued a request for proposals last Friday for land developers to rebuild the city blocks that contain the Jasmine Tree. The Jasmine Tree will either have to close or relocate. The Jasmine Tree currently has a lease that expires at the end of April, and nobody seems to know what will happen after that date. There is mention of a lightrail system taking the Jasmine space sometime in 2007, to help serve some mid-range housing that will soon be built in the area.

The full article can be found here
http://www.dailyvanguard.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/02/14/43f35e7334912

After seeing the D.C.'s area's Honolulu Restaurant close down two years ago due to transportation infrastructure expansion, I feel saddened to see this news repeating itself on the other coast.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley

Posted: 2006-02-16 4:15 pm   Permalink

I love the Jasmine Tree! I hope it survives!!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2006-02-16 4:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-16 16:15, mrsmiley wrote:

Where's the razz?

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley

Posted: 2006-02-16 5:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-16 16:37, thejab wrote:
Quote:

On 2006-02-16 16:15, mrsmiley wrote:

Where's the razz?

Jasmine Tree=Zazz
Bulldozer=Razz!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-17 12:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-11-13 12:07, mrsmiley wrote:
I will take reggae over rap/techo in a tiki bar any day!

And most sefinately over Salsa too!

www.cheekytiki.com
http://cheekytikiuk.blogspot.com/

"Don't drink water, fish f*~k in it" W.C. Feilds

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMaxton
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-22 11:27 am   Permalink

Although rumors have been flying for years (this post goes back three), this time it does seem a lot more likely. Maybe we can picket (dressed in our Aloha finest, and carrying signs decorated with tikis), or pass a petition or something. PDC isn't known for its warm fuzziness, though, so it's unlikely anything we do will accomplish much more than generating a bit of noise over the situation.

I'll be headed down that way to talk to management soon, as JT is, as always, part of the NW Tiki Crawl. I'll report back if there's any new news, or if I find there's anything we can do to help.

TM

mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-22 11:28 am   Permalink

Ouch! I thought Jimmy would probably keep it open for a couple more years but now it looks like the end will come this spring. We need that new tikibar to open on NE 28th and Broadway so we have somewhere to crawl to from the Alibi.

View Profile of mrtikibar Send a personal message to mrtikibar  Email mrtikibar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrtikibar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-03-18 02:15 am   Permalink

A final send-off has been scheduled. Critiki.com is referenced by Willamette Week in Portland.
http://www.wweek.com/editorial/3219/7339/
Sketch comedy? Dang......

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation