FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki tiki cocktail lounge, modesto, ca, (bar)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
tiki cocktail lounge, modesto, ca, (bar)
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-11 10:57 pm   Permalink

Name:tiki cocktail lounge, modesto, ca
Type:bar
Street:932 mchenry ave.
City:modesto
State:CA
Zip:95354
Phone:209 577-9969

Description:
a mile or so down the street from minnie's restaurant lies a small, inconspicuous tiki lounge known as the tiki. it was briefly mentioned in The Book of Tiki, and has remained a staple in modesto for many years. with its VERY strong cocktails and tiki-esque joined motel next door, you are in for a night of fun. the bar is contained within one room, and is fairly small and very dark. there is an outside patio in the front. parking is in the back. as you enter from the front (and this is recommended to see the tiki statues rather than taking the easy route from the back), you will encounter wood carved tiki poles. go inside and see an open fire pit to the left. to the immediate right is the juxebox which has a wide selection of music....popular rock, surfabilly, some lounge, etc. behind the bar are many tiki artifacts....but they are difficult to see in the dim light. the tiki is known for their line of stickers. i have scanned images of the bar but i do not have a host to post them currently. (if someone could help me with this aspect?)

to the right are a few booths with thatch roofs. a fish tank that could use a cleaning is also housed within the bar. a blacklit hallway finishes out the joint...with bathrooms located along this passage.

the drinks are very VERY good. i recommend their mai tais...if you prefer a strong cocktail. they are tall and of a reasonable price. no food menu is offered.

[ This Message was edited by: tikicleen on 2003-11-13 22:59 ]

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-11 11:28 pm   Permalink

okay, i think i figured out how to post a picture. if this turns out right, you will see a few pictures of the tiki, and one of the motel next door. the manager of the motel once told me that the tikis that are placed around the motel are from new zealand. (not sure if he was just pulling my leg) i also scanned one of the infamous tiki stickers that the tiki is always producing. they have many different designs, changing frequently.

i hope that worked!

tikicleen

[ This Message was edited by: tikicleen on 2003-11-13 23:06 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikicleen on 2003-11-13 23:10 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikicleen on 2003-11-13 23:20 ]

[ This Message was edited by: tikicleen on 2003-11-13 23:27 ]

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-22 10:38 pm   Permalink

a couple more images

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-23 08:37 am   Permalink

The above image is a Schmaltz not a Guanko.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-24 10:45 am   Permalink

As far as I know, all The Tropics Motel Tikis (Palm Springs, Fresno, Blythe, Indio) were carved by Ed Crissman for Oceanic Arts.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-24 4:57 pm   Permalink

OH!, Okay, Ed Crissman, he worked independently of OA? Where can I see more of his work?..........BOT?

Thanks for clarifying that Bro.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-24 5:07 pm   Permalink

Hey JT, I took a boatload of pics of the Crissman tikis at Caliente Tropics when I was there in September:

http://public.fotki.com/Humuhumu/la_trip/

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-24 6:55 pm   Permalink

Thanks Humu2. Love his style.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

seamus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-25 11:36 am   Permalink

I love this bar! I had a great time there with Jungletrader. I stayed at the motel, and I do not recommend it- unless you are up for extremely low brow adventure and are looking to be in an episode of Cops.

View Profile of seamus Send a personal message to seamus  Email seamus Goto the website of seamus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-11 10:11 pm   Permalink

I was actually kind of disappointed by this bar. The screamin' jukebox blasting Stone Temple Pilots, Linkin Park, Creed, and tons of other crappy bands was enough to torture my lady friend and I half to death, make our ears bleed, and remind us nothing of paradise lost. The 'riff raff' in the place seemed to be starving to get their freak on... I'm almost sure some of the vixens were tryin' to turn Johns to bring back to the weathered Tropics Motel next door. Lots of thuggish types were eye-ing my girlfriend all night, which increased with their intake of booze. We predicted that there would be a fight during our visit at the bar, and sure enough there was one in the patio area (luckily it didn't involve us). That was enough for us... so we split to the Tropics to crash very uncomfortably. The motel in itself is a whole other story.

View Profile of KAHAKA Send a personal message to KAHAKA  Email KAHAKA Goto the website of KAHAKA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-12 5:36 pm   Permalink

Yeah, there's usually a fight there. I had to dive into a booth as a few guys traded blows past me. I don't go their very often.

In order for The Tiki to make a comeback that entire area would need a clean-up do-over.

Maybe someday.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-10 6:45 pm   Permalink

The Tiki Lounge is for sale, last I heard at 320,000 clams. This is your chance to own a tiki bar.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

KAHAKA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-11 01:37 am   Permalink

Man, someone cool needs to snatch this thing and do it the damn justice it deserves!

View Profile of KAHAKA Send a personal message to KAHAKA  Email KAHAKA Goto the website of KAHAKA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-18 5:30 pm   Permalink

An intriguing update to the Tiki Cocktail Lounge story... it has reportedly become a gay bar recently, and a small rainbow flag behind the bar seemed to attest to that when we were there this past weekend during Hooptylau. The only folks in the bar during our visit were TCers, as it was a little on the early side. Assuming it's true, it's very welcome news.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

[ This Message was edited by: Humuhumu 2005-10-18 17:31 ]

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-19 01:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-18 17:30, Humuhumu wrote:
An intriguing update to the Tiki Cocktail Lounge story... it has reportedly become a gay bar recently, and a small rainbow flag behind the bar seemed to attest to that when we were there this past weekend during Hooptylau. The only folks in the bar during our visit were TCers, as it was a little on the early side. Assuming it's true, it's very welcome news.

That it's a gay bar?

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation