FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki tiki cocktail lounge, modesto, ca, (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
tiki cocktail lounge, modesto, ca, (bar)
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-30 12:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-12-30 09:46, bigbrotiki wrote:
Here's the Tiki that stood by the entrance to the bar in the 90s:

I liked the fact that this place was actually called the "Tiki Lounge"- but the hours sign was the only one where it was spelled out. There were few other outright Tiki Lounges: The Hawaiian Village had one, that Motel in Denver, and the Hawaiian Isle in Miami.

I just checked on Google street view, and it shows that Tiki still in place:

Now that's good news! I was assuming that since nobody had photographed it it was a goner, but thank god for the dry desert climate. Plus luckily nobody ever had the bright idea to paint it in party colors.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-31 5:29 pm   Permalink

MoDestO is not dry desert climate bigbro. It's actually pretty wet lately. That tiki is still there for sure. Snugged in real tight.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-09 09:32 am   Permalink

Wild wild west in MOdesTo. 3 men were kicked out at around 12:30 am. They fired shots into the patio area, one man was hit but not critically injured. The 3 were arrested.
I know it's bad news, but people deserve to know the facts. Advice: Get away from angry people as fast as ya' can, no matter where you are. It's just not worth it.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-09 1:03 pm   Permalink

Man, folks are really getting edgy, this economic stress is grinding them down...

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2011-01-10 17:20 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-10 5:04 pm   Permalink

Wow, pretty crazy - here's a news clip:
http://www.news10.net/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=116146&provider=top

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-21 4:36 pm   Permalink

We lost some pics up there, here is the close up of the Tiki Lounge Tiki, and more:

I was going thru my matchbook folder, and noticed how close this matchcover rendering....

... is to the way I found the place in the mid-90s:

abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-21 8:46 pm   Permalink

That is weird how the front became the back patio and the back became the front entrance.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-03 11:09 pm   Permalink

Bigbro,

I like that photo - matchbook comparison. I always wondered where the Rudi Solario's Tiki Lounge matchbook was from.

Here is another nice matchbook Tiki rendering from the Modesto Tropics.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-04 12:55 am   Permalink

And I always wondered if that bowl-holding logo Tiki from the Tropics matchbooks (which once was copied by San Diego's "Mr. Tiki") actually existed in one of their 5 locations...

Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-01 4:21 pm   Permalink

I came across this ad for the Grand Opening of the Tiki Lounge from April of 1964.

Looks like it was started by Johnny Ramos and then Rudy Solario took over later.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-05 07:18 am   Permalink

I found some more great newspaper archive stuff on the Tiki Lounge and the Tropics in Modesto.

Here is an opening day photo from the Tiki Lounge from April 1964. What a great looking place.

And the construction of the motel and restaurant in February of 1962. You can see a big Tiki out front on the right.

An article describing the facilities - 6 large hand carved Tiki Gods!

But wait there's more! The Tikis! A great photo of Ed Crissman putting the finishing touches on one the the Tikis in April of 1962.

Grand opening ceremonies in June of 1962 with Miss Modesto and Mr. Tiki!

Great to see the photos of the Tikis brand new.

DC

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-05 09:21 am   Permalink

Arrgh! How great would it be to have a good quality, glossy 8 X 10 of that Ed Crissman shot!

Tony Monaco sure didn't last long! Wonder why...and what's up with all those Italian names:

Tony Monaco, Johnny Ramos (I guess that's Hispanic) , and Rudy Solario - real classic Americanized immigrant names.

The Blue Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-05 10:04 am   Permalink

Given that it's Modesto, they could be Portuguese surnames as well. Perhaps Hispanic . . .

[ This Message was edited by: The Blue Kahuna 2012-02-05 10:05 ]

View Profile of The Blue Kahuna Send a personal message to The Blue Kahuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-06 7:43 pm   Permalink

DC those are great discoveries! Nice work! This really helps with the history of these two temples. I guess The tikis are about 50 years old now and still standing. That's great.

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-23 12:03 pm   Permalink

Any recent pictures of the inside of that place?
I went by there once, back when I was in college in 2001 Never been back since.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation