FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki What is a beatnik?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
What is a beatnik?
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-11-15 1:45 pm   Permalink

That was my 1001st post!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-15 2:01 pm   Permalink

All hail the Honorable Jab!

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-15 2:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-11-15 13:45, thejab wrote:
That was my 1001st post!

like wow daddy-o!
(snapping fingers)

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-15 3:23 pm   Permalink

emspace, I was qouting from the "Free Dictionary" link provided by Freddie. Just quoting what I saw.
I've never heard of these crazy cats that you guys say are modern day niks. Lenny Bruce... wasn't he a comic? Been gone awhile right? Joe Strummer.... who was he? Tom Waits? Geets Romo? Greatest beat ever?

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-15 4:14 pm   Permalink

Fave film about wanna-be-beatniks:

Beat Girl

Fave beatnik quote:

"You're just a simple little farmboy, and the rest of us are all sophisticated beatniks" from Roger Cormans' "A Bucket of Blood"

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-15 4:49 pm   Permalink

jungletrader - jump in the car and drive straight to San Francisco. Upon arriving, go directly to City Lights Bookstore and pick up the following selections:
HOWL - Allen Ginsberg
Coney Island of the Mind - Lawrence
Ferlinghetti (store founder)
On the Road - Jack Kerouac
How to Talk Dirty & Influence People -
Lenny Bruce
Junky - William Burroughs
Hiparama of the Classics - Lord Buckley
and anything recorded by Lord Buckley on any type of medium, particularly "Hipsters, Flipsters & Finger Poppin' Daddies".
Dig Ya Later,
SWJ

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-15 8:34 pm   Permalink

Okay Shipwreck, but can I just go to Borders instead.
Is City Lights an exclusive beatnik bookstore?

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoddess
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-15 8:52 pm   Permalink

The movie Hairspray had a beatnik scene with pia Zadora and Ric Ocasek. Pia wears all black, irons her hair, reads aloud from Howl and asks one og the main characters if she's a "checkerboard chick." Dig?

View Profile of TikiGoddess Send a personal message to TikiGoddess      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-16 01:09 am   Permalink

J.T. - I thought your 'hood was within spittin' distance of San Francisco. My AAA map must be outta scale. City Lights IS the definitive beatnik bookstore! Opened in like 1955 or so, I think Ferlinghetti & his crew were printing a lot of this shit up in the back room as it rolled off the tongues of the angelheaded hipsters. Almost forgot...add Shards of God by Ed Sanders to the list. A lot of people think the hippies were the new beatniks...I disagree, the YIPPIES captured the spirit of the original beats best.

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-16 04:34 am   Permalink

I think "beat" came from the "old beater" cars Neal Cassidy drove. And the "beat up" old clothes they wore on the road, and "beat" old apartments they crashed in, etc.

It's like they saw the beauty in the ordinary things that surrounded them - old and worn out can have an interesting story to tell, and they told it.

The bennies (amphetamines) they took let them stay up and talk all night. Although sometimes they formed a circle and did things I don't go for.

They loved bop. Beat poetry is the jazz of spoken language.

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki  Email kctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-16 05:35 am   Permalink

Oh, and before beatniks and the lost generation were the bohemians, right before the turn of the last century. They were an arty set who sometimes frequented opium dens.

Let's not forget the highly underated hillbilly beat poet, Ernest T. Bass:

I ain't talkin'
I ain't talkin'
The more you're askin'
The more I'm balkin'

Ernest T.'s poems were usually delivered dramatically, tied around a rock thru a glass window.

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki  Email kctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-16 05:42 am   Permalink

Yes, Lenny Bruce was beat I think. Simply because he was so honest.

After being jailed for obscentity, he said something like, "I don't consider anything I've ever done to be obscene, unless you
count the time I jacked off my dog."

SES
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-16 07:49 am   Permalink

Me!
bohemian beatnik hippiechick...
love all that jazz!

[ This Message was edited by: SES on 2003-11-16 07:50 ]

View Profile of SES Send a personal message to SES      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seamus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-16 10:03 am   Permalink

JT !! You and I have got to do some more drinking buddy! Joe Strummer and Tom Waits are two of my Favorite guys. Both are best known and beloved for their musical endeavours, but both were/are known to appear in the occaisional offbeat indy type movie as well. Joe strummer is one of my personal heroes. He was the legendary lead singer of The Clash, and kept on after with a very respectable solo career. Sorta the Johnny Cash of the punk scene, if you will.

View Profile of seamus Send a personal message to seamus  Email seamus Goto the website of seamus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-16 11:30 am   Permalink

I love Tom Waits....I stalked him in the Wacko store on Melrose once. Stalking...thats what the police report called it....J-O-K-I-N-G! Here's an interesting article from The Onion about Mr. Waits. He's beyond Beat.
http://www.theonionavclub.com/avclub3820/avfeature_3820.html

[ This Message was edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-11-16 12:59 ]

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation