FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Bali Hai, Lynnfield, MA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Bali Hai, Lynnfield, MA (restaurant)
The Granite Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-02-20 3:31 pm   Permalink

It's really great to hear a good report about Bali Hai.

I had the often mentioned bad experience with the food but good experience with the booze, but I was there very late at night, and ordered some typical appetizers that might have had some age to them.

I wind up driving by there quite often so I'm definitely giving it some more chances! I actually drove right by it the night you were there and wondered if you were still there (around 10:00) but I couldn't stop because I drive an '81 VW Vanagon Camper that hasn't been liking this cold much and is never guaranteed to start again.

Thanks for the post, it offers a new hope!

[ This Message was edited by: The Granite Tiki 2007-02-20 15:33 ]

View Profile of The Granite Tiki Send a personal message to The Granite Tiki  Email The Granite Tiki Goto the website of The Granite Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-04 03:27 am   Permalink

A menu from my collection:

When I went there in early 2005 the owner sold me 7 mugs and gave me the menu as a gift. Has a printed price, Souvenir Menu: $ 3.00 Dollars.
I really liked this place, It must have been nicer on it's heyday.

Z

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-29 4:49 pm   Permalink

Spotted this cool old matchbook on ebay a while back from the Bali Hai with a nice illustration of the A-Frame entrance.

The back of the matchbook has this rendering of the Tiki from the front of the building. Anybody guess the country/region of origin for this style?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Limbo Lizard
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-02-19 11:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-08-29 16:49, Dustycajun wrote:
... Anybody guess the country/region of origin for this style?

I'm guessing Indonesia. Perhaps they couldn't find any art from the fictitious Polynesian isle of Bali Hai, but they found - and used - a mask from the island of Bali.

View Profile of Limbo Lizard Send a personal message to Limbo Lizard      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DixonAlibi
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 13 days ago; 6:07 pm   Permalink

Went here today when they opened at noon and got a Mai Tai, some Crab Rangoon, and noodles. The Mai Tai wasn’t amazing, but it was made with rum, orgeat, and orange curaçao. It was pre batched, but still decent. The crab Rangoon and noodles were good as well. Nothing insanely special, but good! I didn’t see any mugs, but on the way out, saw some under a glass case by the front register. They no longer use them at were selling the remaining ones for $7.50. I bought two! Will add photos when I’m home on my computer!

View Profile of DixonAlibi Send a personal message to DixonAlibi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Michelle66
Tiki Centralite

Posted: Yesterday; 03:25 am   Permalink

Been home this week on vacation, and after two abortive attempts to eat at Kowloon (due to menu issues), finally decided to give Bali Hai a try.

Bali Hai is a place I remember from the 1970s, seeing it every time the folks drove up 128 on the way to the Liberty Tree Mall in Danvers.

The restaurant's yellow sign was one of the few lighted landmarks I used to look out for on the way back home (along with a nearby Sunoco sign and neon Elks Club sign that are also both still visible from the highway).

The sound wall that now lines 128 blocks view of the Bali Hai sign, but if you can find your way to Moulton Drive, it's still there in all its 1970s glory.

Anyway, after never eating at this restaurant for more than 40 years, FINALLY gave it a try.

Glad I did.

It's definitely an older place. But, the carpet was clean and the vinyl seats in the booth we sat in looked somewhat new.

Got a Scorpion bowl for two and it was POTENT! God, was it potent!

We ordered the Bali Hai platter (a plate of appetizers, piled HIGH for under $20), plus an order of Peking Raviolis for $5.

Boston-style Chinese food...strong drinks...old-school decor...all for CHEAP money. (Our waitress was attentive, humorous, and earned her 25-percent tip.)

So, including the tip, the entire meal was only $60, and that price includes an order of shrimp lo mein I got to go (along with the leftover appetizers).

Also bought two vintage Bali Hai mugs for $7.50 each as we were leaving.

Has the Bali Hai seen better days? Obviously.

But, the fact this place has managed to survive in these days of the gentrification of Rt. 1 and the entire North Shore area, is nothing short of miraculous. You should definitely check it out before it inevitably succumbs to the times.

View Profile of Michelle66 Send a personal message to Michelle66      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: Yesterday; 12:03 pm   Permalink

So glad to see current good reviews of this place! I also used to live in the area, but it's been ages since I was back. Makes me happy to know they're still going. It's fun to hear that they're still so cheap, too. I was there once with several friends and we were ordering all sorts of crazy-named drinks - "even if you hate it, who cares? It's $3.50!"

(Hope the issues at Kowloon weren't anything major?)

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Michelle66
Tiki Centralite

Posted: Yesterday; 6:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2017-09-21 12:03, bamalamalu wrote:
So glad to see current good reviews of this place! I also used to live in the area, but it's been ages since I was back. Makes me happy to know they're still going. It's fun to hear that they're still so cheap, too. I was there once with several friends and we were ordering all sorts of crazy-named drinks - "even if you hate it, who cares? It's $3.50!"

(Hope the issues at Kowloon weren't anything major?)

The "menu issues" I had at Kowloon were nothing major, but were irksome to me just the same.

After flying to Boston from Tokyo on a 13-hour flight, I was cranky and VERY hungry. After clearing immigration and customs, getting my rental car, THEN driving up route 1A and route 1, I was not too thrilled to learn that Kowloon doesn't serve combination plates after 5pm.

(Since I wasn't about to order four different full-sized boxes of food, ended up getting a pizza down the street at Polcari's/Pizzeria Regina.)

The next day, I was still craving Boston-style Chinese food, so headed off of Kowloon and got there 5 minutes after they opened.

The teriyaki nuggets were unavailable has they had "sold out the night before"...

Getting denied two days in a row kind of soured me on Kowloon, which lead me to giving Bali Hai a try.

Speaking of which...

I went back again tonight for a take-out order, as I return to Tokyo tomorrow.

Got a combination plate with teriyaki beef, pork chow mein, and fried rice, all for something like $6.50.

I'd say the food was way more flavorable than the stuff Kowloon sells, and Bali Hai's beef teriyaki strips have be the best ones I've ever had. They were flavorful, nicely cooked, and so tender. Nothing like the leather-like strips of meat many places serve.

While I sat waiting for my order, a few locals can in and the restaurant staff greeted them by name. This gave the Bali Hai a homey feeling that the Kowloon totally lacks.

View Profile of Michelle66 Send a personal message to Michelle66      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation