FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Tiki Bob's, San Francisco, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Tiki Bob's, San Francisco, CA (restaurant)
Joshua Bell
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-08-22 9:22 pm   Permalink

For anyone curious...

I recently (1) picked up a copy of The Book of Tiki and (2) moved to San Francisco. While a trip to the Tonga Room at the Fairmont hasn't happened yet, we did need to grab breakfast while passing through downtown so we vectored past the former site of Tiki Bob's. At the location now is "The Crepe House" which is pretty good. I forgot a proper camera, but here's what my phone recorded:

The iconic pillar, in its new color - this turned out somewhat artsy.

More natural colors... looks a bit like a banana:

A really bad view from across the street, as we were running to catch a bus:

Sadly, no obvious indication of the location's former life.

View Profile of Joshua Bell Send a personal message to Joshua Bell  Email Joshua Bell Goto the website of Joshua Bell     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Molokai Mike
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-23 01:40 am   Permalink

I'm so glad the Crepe House has kept the Tiki Bob pillar.
The last time I saw the building, it was a closed Enterprise Rental place!!
I thought the iconic pillar was doomed at that point. What a surprise to see that it's been kept and enhanced...and is still the focal point!!

[ This Message was edited by: Conga Mike 2006-08-25 13:11 ]

View Profile of Molokai Mike Send a personal message to Molokai Mike  Email Molokai Mike Goto the website of Molokai Mike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2006-08-24 9:55 pm   Permalink

The pillar is structural- they could fill in the face, but they can't get rid of it.

Which is good.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-31 12:05 pm   Permalink

T'is always good to see the ol' guy still smilin', oblivious to the tides of time and taste. Sort of a Zen smile, ain't it?

Wonder if they make rum crepes....

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mamiller

Posted: 2006-11-03 7:37 pm   Permalink

Just found this site. So Great. Not too many memories of Tiki Bobs though. Many great times there. Just got back from hnl, when there check out La Mariana Sailing Club. See ya fans.

View Profile of mamiller Send a personal message to mamiller      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiedup2

Posted: 2007-07-23 4:16 pm   Permalink

I used to go to Tiki Bob's in the late 70's. There were three of us who made a regular trip there from the eastside about once a month or so. I remember those great pork chops. I also recall they had some kind of baked or fried banana dish which I haven't been able to find anywhere else or to recreate myself - it was soooo good. That's a recipe I'd like to have.

View Profile of Tiedup2 Send a personal message to Tiedup2      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Catman

Posted: 2007-08-03 3:56 pm   Permalink

Well, well, well; Tiki Bob's identified!
When I was just a pup my saintly neighbor, the late Winston Norman, would periodically invite one or another of the neighborhood kids to join him and son Scott to the San Francisco Press Club as guests, for weight workout, swimming, hot dogs & snack - about as clean fun a dad, son, and friends could possibly enjoy.
We'd park in one of the downtown highrise lots (that's all those buildings did, as far as I could tell), and at some point in our journey would pass by Tiki Bob's for a few under-aged chin-up attempts on our favorite icon's smiling face.
We were too young to actually go in, of course.
Years later I took myself on a walking tour and was very sad to learn that after all those years of anticipation, Bob's was no longer open for business, and looked pretty unhappy himself.
It is delightful to see his happy mug asmile again, albeit with new color scheme and enhanced features.
Next trip to The City I'll have to make a pilgrimage, perhaps suggesting adding a Tiki Beverage section to the menu?
Or a fruit-and-umbrella desert crepe???

View Profile of Catman Send a personal message to Catman  Email Catman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BornTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-20 3:21 pm   Permalink

Aloha all,
Yeah Tiedup2...those were banana fritters. Use Tempura batter and split bananas...deep fry till a nice light golden color. Don't forget the whipped cream...it's key. These are also great with Coconut ice cream...most of what you can buy in the stores have pineapple bits in it...you don't want that. Dreyers used to make our ice cream...don't know if it's still available, but I'm sure there's an acceptable substitute out there. And Catman, that's tragic that you never had been to Tiki Bob's. Really, even more so considering that you were never too young to go in. Granted, kids weren't allowed to sit in the bar area, but they were always welcome in the dining room...I spent many a night there growing up.

Take care all,
Kal

[ This Message was edited by: BornTiki 2007-09-20 15:23 ]

[ This Message was edited by: BornTiki 2007-09-20 20:14 ]

View Profile of BornTiki Send a personal message to BornTiki  Email BornTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-20 6:16 pm   Permalink

Hey Kal. Check out TIKI MODERN, the Tiki Bob logo Tiki is in there four times, three of them in its OTHER personifications. You probably would not remember if Bob Bryant or Florence ever became aware of these other uses..?
1) The menu cover (again)
2) The Elvis mug
3) The Bali Hai New Orleans ashtray
4) The Hawaiian Village Tampa cocktail menu

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2007-09-20 18:17 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BornTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-20 8:24 pm   Permalink

Hiyas,
Nah...neither Bob or Florence ever new about these. Believe me, if Bob or Florence ever knew, they would have tried to get their piece of the pie...no matter how small it would have been. Besides...Dragon Lady Flo was too cheap to hire a lawyer.

Kal

View Profile of BornTiki Send a personal message to BornTiki  Email BornTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-24 09:22 am   Permalink

i'm finding out little bits of Tiki History talking to my family.. Kai ~ your "Aunt Florence"'s youngest daughter Suzie, married Patrick (my cousin's best friend from highschool). i'm meeting up with relatives this weekend, i hope to get more info. at least now i have names to refer to!

its funny, my relatives know that "oh elicia likes that tiki stuff" but fail to realize Tiki Bob's and Trader Vics is the stuff i want to know about! to Uncle Fred, it was just a job...

ok. off to find out more about the Mystery Photo on Grant Ave..

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-24 3:23 pm   Permalink

OK, these connections are just too amazing. Hmm, now I have to ask: As a school kid in Hamburg, Germany, I grew up next door to a Chinese family that owned a restaurant, and I went to school with their sons, Leo and Anthony Ling. The younger, Anthony, became one of my best friends in school. Were they perhaps related to the Tiki restaurant industry somehow? Is it all part of the "Big Design" !?

The Monitors
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-24 6:28 pm   Permalink

Sorry to interrupt Sven and Dogbytes, but I have to say that the Tiki Bob mug and the Suffering Bastard mug are two of my favorites. I was really pleased to see that Munktiki revamped the Suffering Bastard with the "Wannabe Bastard" mug. I would love to see Tiki Bob updated. Anyone with me on this?

View Profile of The Monitors Send a personal message to The Monitors  Email The Monitors     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2008-08-26 08:53 am   Permalink

Do a search for "Roberto Loco"

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-26 11:34 am   Permalink

'S okay, I was not really being serious with my question.

Bosko did at least two different "Mod" versions of the Tiki Bob design, both really cool, and I kick myself for not having secured one. Mebbie someone could post some pics?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation