FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Tiki Bob's, San Francisco, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Tiki Bob's, San Francisco, CA (restaurant)
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-30 12:35 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-30 11:22, uncle trav wrote:
Noticed two what look to be mugs sitting just to the left of the fish tank in the interior shot postcard. Does anyone have one of these mugs they could post a photo of? Here's a not very good closeup.

Judging by the color of the left one, that could be that Otagiri blonde-wood-Moai-with-eyes as seen in the upper row, middle, here:

I don't recall ever seeing one with a Tiki Bob logo on it, though.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2009-11-30 12:36 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikicleen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-30 1:47 pm   Permalink

maybe im squinting a tad too much, but they look a lot like the skipper kent's otagiri moai mugs in the two tantalizing colors of brown and "gray" (aka; yellow puke).

View Profile of tikicleen Send a personal message to tikicleen  Email tikicleen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-11-30 1:52 pm   Permalink

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-21 3:04 pm   Permalink

I went and visited Bob today - he's doing well - he says hi to everyone...

Trad'r Bill

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-21 7:23 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the update Trad'r Bill!

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-22 12:14 am   Permalink

Egad! What does "Honey Honey" sell? This makes me wish that someone would have recorded all the Bob paint jobs over the years from the same angle, to post them next to each other . This must be number 4 or 5.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-22 12:04 pm   Permalink

I was telling Jon Paul that somebody in Nor. Cal. should go by there at 3 am in the middle of the night and paint him back to brown and white.
And then leave a old pic of Tiki Bob's and say just leave him this color please.

Jeff(btd)

[ This Message was edited by: bigtikidude 2010-03-22 12:05 ]

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-05-23 9:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-03-22 12:04, bigtikidude wrote:
I was telling Jon Paul that somebody in Nor. Cal. should go by there at 3 am in the middle of the night and paint him back to brown and white.
And then leave a old pic of Tiki Bob's and say just leave him this color please.

Jeff(btd)

I like the idea, just so long it is not done messy.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
danlovestikis
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-19 5:44 pm   Permalink

This was so enjoyable to read from start to finish. I hope these photos are left here forever. I am working on the Sacramento Crawl ceramic for 2011 and since Tiki Bob is a part of our history he will be featured next year. Wendy

Updates will be on that thread just like last years Zombie/Coral Reef mug were.

View Profile of danlovestikis Send a personal message to danlovestikis      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tobor64
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-12-24 01:35 am   Permalink

Aside from the photos posted in this thread, there are very little else to be found. Does anyone know where I could find good vintage photos of the exterior of Tiki Bob's from back in the day?

View Profile of Tobor64 Send a personal message to Tobor64      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-18 8:15 pm   Permalink

sugar cubes from tiki bob's.....

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Psycho Tiki D
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-04 1:56 pm   Permalink

Currently on eBay...

Never seen this version of the menu before.

PTD

View Profile of Psycho Tiki D Send a personal message to Psycho Tiki D  Email Psycho Tiki D     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-04 2:49 pm   Permalink

Here are some more pics of that menu Duane. Saw the auction too -- awesome menu!

Here is a pic of a paper drink coaster:

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Central Poet Laureate

Posted: 2011-05-04 5:15 pm   Permalink

That's a glorious menu! Nice coaster find too!

The lettering of "Chow" on the menu makes me think the mysterious San Francisco "Chow 'n Grog" sign that Trad'r Bill found in 2009, might actually be from Bob's:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=33593&forum=5&start=0

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-05 1:19 pm   Permalink

Sabu - good eye, I was thinking the same thing... the lines inside the letters match my sign very closely. I think the sign was probably based on the menu lettering, or vice versa.

I looked through dozens of bamboo lettering fonts on Archiva Tropica and didn't see any that looked like the menu/sign:
http://www.arkivatropika.com/cgi-bin/tags.cgi?tags=%22bamboo%20lettering%22

Here's a side-by-side shot:

It seems very likely that the sign once hung at one of the Tiki Bob's locations. Any other explanation I can think of seems too far-fetched.

Trad'r Bill

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation