FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Skipper Kent's, San Francisco, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Skipper Kent's, San Francisco, CA (restaurant)
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2003-11-17 9:37 pm   Permalink

Name:Skipper Kent's
Type:restaurant
Street:1040 Columbus Avenue
City:San Francisco
State:CA
Zip:
Phone:PRospect 6-3737

Description:
Now a pub/indian restaurant.

(Please feel free to add to this!!!)

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2003-11-17 9:40 pm   Permalink

From a San Francisco visitor's guide, October 1955:

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMaxton
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-18 1:27 pm   Permalink

Ooh, I like the idea of floating glass floats in the fountain! I'm gonna have to try that!

View Profile of TikiMaxton Send a personal message to TikiMaxton  Email TikiMaxton Goto the website of TikiMaxton ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2008-04-16 8:38 pm   Permalink

napkin with drawing of interior:

skipper kent's celestial chicken recipe (taken from "Ford Times" February 1953):

skipper kent interior painting (from same magazine):

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-07-31 2:13 pm   Permalink

The Location as it looks now ala google maps. Looks like the interior could still have hints of its past!
TG

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Paipo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-16 04:38 am   Permalink

June 1964:

View Profile of Paipo Send a personal message to Paipo  Goto the website of Paipo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-24 7:15 pm   Permalink

Here is another postcard from the Skipper Kent's in San Francisco (saw it on ebay but lost to KC). I did capture the photo however. What a great early tiki statue on the left side of the front door. It looks like there is another one on the right side as well. Its funny that these don't really show up in the picture from 1964 posted by Paipo. It appears that the tikis were engulfed by the landscaping. This must have been a very early shot.

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mike Desert
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-10-20 10:54 am   Permalink

It's now "Kennedy's Irish Pub and Curry House".

I went there for the SF 2008 Foosball tournament.

The place is great, but only because of the large selection of beers and the few Tornado tournament foosball tables. It's more of a sports bar.

The dining area is neat and all, but if you're hoping for exotic, there is better Indian food with better decor. If you're in the neighborhood, check it out. Also "La Trappe" is up the street for Belgian ales in cool European style cellar.

View Profile of Mike Desert Send a personal message to Mike Desert  Goto the website of Mike Desert     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Joe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-10-20 6:24 pm   Permalink

I wonder if there's a tiki foosball table out there?

View Profile of Coco Joe Send a personal message to Coco Joe  Email Coco Joe Goto the website of Coco Joe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipaka
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2008-10-21 01:21 am   Permalink

Yea, this is what it might look like.

Quote:
^ What is believed to be the first French-Style table placed in a
commercial establishment in the USA, the "TIKI" bar in Virginia Beach,
VA circa 1970.

Whoops wrong place.

View Profile of tikipaka Send a personal message to tikipaka  Email tikipaka Goto the website of tikipaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-06-02 11:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2008-04-16 20:38, Polynesiac wrote:
napkin with drawing of interior:

I've got one of these for sale right now;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=280442870841&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

http://shop.ebay.com/1957sputnik/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340
If you like it,its ZAZZ! If you dont its RAZZ!

[ This Message was edited by: mrsmiley 2010-05-14 23:32 ]

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-03 4:58 pm   Permalink

I have this old B & W postcard showing the interior of Skipper Kents in SF

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-15 12:13 pm   Permalink

I finally picked up the two color postcards that came from Skipper Kent's in San Francisco.

This one is from the bar with 160 kinds of rum.

Here is another of the interior.

Also found a few nice shots on the internet. Here is Skipper Kent himself. Amazing bio on this gentleman.

Another B & W interior shot.

DC

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-07-30 9:29 pm   Permalink

I'm working on a Skipper Kent piece for the Tiki Art Swap 2009 #2 - Poly Pop Menu Inspired Art. Can anyone tell me about this image from their menu and from the Zombie Village menu? Who is he supposed to be? Genghis Khan? Aladdin's Polynesian cousin? An irate Dom DeLuise because they are out of pork fried rice?

Thanks,
Mike

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-07-31 2:03 pm   Permalink

I think it's OddJob from "Goldfinger".

Of course we are all aware that the original source of this face is the enigmatic, iconic menu cover from Skipper Kent's Zombie Village:

This image (from Otto von Stroheim's collection!) gracing one of the opening pages of the Book of Tiki is probably responsible for converting more impressionable young males to Tiki than many other BOT visuals. It's charged combination of eroticism and mysticism instantly transports its viewer into another realm - like a good Tiki Bar should do.

Yet once rational thinking takes over again, we have to realize that the elements depicted here have very little to do with Tiki or Polynesia. The artist, obviously a skilled, old-school illustrator, must have been drawing on his children's book illustration experience, and equalling "Zombie" with "scary spirit". So he come up with what obviously looks like a Djinn, or Genie, for a Zombie...

...while the dancing girl with her see-through skirt could easily be a temple dancer of the Asian persuasion, and even the men around the fire are a more oriental motif, and could be smoking a hooka pipe.

This of course does NOT diminish the standing of this artpiece as a masterwork of Polynesian pop, and merely proves again how it is a great unifier of ALL exotic cultures.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation