FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Skipper Kent's, San Francisco, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Skipper Kent's, San Francisco, CA (restaurant)
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2009-07-31 3:38 pm   Permalink

Thanks Sven

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-09-24 2:40 pm   Permalink

Thought I'd continue a dicussion over here that started (and hopefully isn't finished) on the Tiki Finds thread.

Tiki-Kate found this very cool postcard from the California Spring Garden Show, dated 1951.

... That seems to have a connection to Skipper Kent's.

The California Spring Garden Show was held in Oakland, CA every year (very near Skipper Kent's). Plus both tikis seem to appear in Skipper Kent's restaurant images.

Here's the tiki on the right in one of my S.K. postcards with a 1953 stamp & postmark (photo could have been taken earlier)

Both tikis appear to show up inside the restaurant in Polynesiac's Feb 1953 'Ford Times' illustration:

Dusty Cajun provides this exterior shot with another eerily similar moai, with slightly longer neck.

The moai in Kate's postcard also seems similar to Skipper Kent's signature mug and salt shakers.

We also know that Skipper Kent was a horticulturist. On the back of one of his early menus it states that all the rare tropical plants and flowers in his restaurants were grown in his private hot houses in Walnut Creek.

So let's speculate: Did Skipper Kent help design the 1951 display in the Spring Garden Show, using his own tikis and plants? Or was he inspired by it?

The 1951 and 1953 dates seem like very early appearances by tikis in a South Seas restaurant. Was Skipper Kent a groundbreaker in this regard? Or was he influenced by Trader Vic over in Oakland? Trader Vic was using Hawaiian Tikis and Cannibal Carvings in the 1940s. Who used the first Moai in their restaurant?

I thought Bigbro or others here might have some insights. (Sorry, I really get into this geeky kind of historical research).

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2009-09-24 14:57 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiG
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-24 3:03 pm   Permalink

No need to say Sorry Sabu, I love reading these threads.

I have a burning passion researching lost amusement parks and roller-coasters

Carry on...

tiki since '67!

View Profile of TikiG Send a personal message to TikiG  Email TikiG     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-19 6:11 pm   Permalink

I love the interior shots of this restaurant. They are so detailed and there is so much going on! Probably one of the best interiors that we see!!

Here is another shot that is different from the above photos but still shows the same Tiki:

TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-01-19 6:35 pm   Permalink

Taboo Dan,

I tried for that postcard too, but it went for more than my budget. Here are a couple of cropped close-up shots of the card and the Tiki. Check out that drink bowl on the table. Looks like the one with the fishes on it used at the South Pacific and the Aku Aku.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-02-10 10:58 pm   Permalink

Saw this matchbook on ebay with a nice combo of the Tiki face from the menu and the surfing Wahine from the Skipper Kent Mug.

Mug shots from eab21's collection on Ooga Mooga

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-21 3:53 pm   Permalink

I finally made it out to the old Skipper Kent building, now Kennedy's Irish Pub and Curry House. I wasn't expecting to see much tiki, but I was pleasantly surprised.

You can easily see the original Skipper Kent's through the new "decor":

...on the back of the building, I fond some lauhala matting and bamboo trim:

...more bamboo on this peak in the front of the building:

inside, the bar area is also very reminiscent of SKs

You can actually see evidence of SKs everywhere you look... driftwood walls:

old wooden latch:

faux bamboo support pole:

piling support poles:

and lots of *big* palm trees:

-Trad'r Bill

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-21 6:28 pm   Permalink

I have walked past Kennedy's Irish Pub and Curry House everytime I am in Northbeach, I always point out those famous places
Like where "Dirty Harry" & "Bullitt" where filmed and of course old Tiki places like Skippers, my wife does an excellent job
of feigning interest.

I tend to go off about,how the Tonga room used to look like with Tropical storms, erupting volcano, etc.
my first time there was in 1970.

[ This Message was edited by: Atomic Tiki Punk 2010-03-21 18:31 ]

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-21 7:21 pm   Permalink

Trad'r Bill, thanks for the archaeological update, good work there. Although it saddens me to see these historic places devolved and flippantly modified to quench the thirst of the modern ignorant masses and owners, it is great to see significant artifacts of the past exposed and documented. Mahalo

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JONPAUL
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-21 9:30 pm   Permalink

Back when we were exploring the site in 2005, there was still Tapa cloth and rope at the top of some of the support beams (see page 23 of the Spring 2006 Issue of Tiki Magazine).
FIBERGLASS JUNGLE on Luxuria

View Profile of JONPAUL Send a personal message to JONPAUL  Goto the website of JONPAUL     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-22 01:39 am   Permalink

I still harbor that faint hope that one day, a full-on shot of that great cocktail islands map on the right will surface:

I mean that MUST have found use in menu form, no?

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-28 1:25 pm   Permalink

bifcozz was extremely nice in sending me these great shots of SKs - THANKS BIFCOZZ! He is very busy right now and unable to post these, so he gave me to ok to post:

Enjoy!
Trad'r Bill

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-28 6:09 pm   Permalink

Awesome!

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2010-03-28 10:33 pm   Permalink

Sweet!

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
1961surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-29 09:02 am   Permalink

Great pics Trader Bill ....thanks.

View Profile of 1961surf Send a personal message to 1961surf  Email 1961surf Goto the website of 1961surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation