FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Skipper Kent's, San Francisco, CA (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Skipper Kent's, San Francisco, CA (restaurant)
Joshua Bell
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-03-30 9:44 pm   Permalink

Wow, until yesterday while dorking about on Critiki, I had no idea this place once existed... and I live two blocks away and often enjoy the food at Kennedy's!

(In my defense, I am a Tiki neophyte. I picked up the Book of Tiki a few years ago, enjoy Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room, know the best seats at the Tonga Room, hung out at Trader Vic's in Bellevue WA before it closed, and have a spouse that can mix a delightful mai tai. But otherwise a n00b - although I posted here right after I moved to SF and went to worship at Tiki Bob's -
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=6319&forum=2&start=15.)

This definitely explains the palm trees in the back and penetrating the roof. On my next visit I'll poke around the edges, too.

[ This Message was edited by: Joshua Bell 2010-03-30 21:49 ]

View Profile of Joshua Bell Send a personal message to Joshua Bell  Email Joshua Bell Goto the website of Joshua Bell     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-31 2:21 pm   Permalink

Welcome to Tiki Central Joshua... let us know if you find any more info!

Trad'r Bill

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joshua Bell
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-11 7:31 pm   Permalink

Stopped by Kennedy's today for dinner, armed with printouts of photos from this thread. Alas, it was fairly crowded for once, so I deferred from scouting around trying to find matches for the interior architecture. As my son put it, "they did a great job hiding all the tiki stuff" (he said they should put it back, though.)

My wife spotted something in the main dining room that's an obvious hold-over - an island-themed pole:

View Profile of Joshua Bell Send a personal message to Joshua Bell  Email Joshua Bell Goto the website of Joshua Bell     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-12 12:54 pm   Permalink

Thanks for posting those Joshua! I missed those when I was there... very cool.

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
abstractiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-04-12 3:58 pm   Permalink

Good work Josh!

View Profile of abstractiki Send a personal message to abstractiki  Email abstractiki Goto the website of abstractiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joshua Bell
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-20 7:45 pm   Permalink

Skipper Kent's - dining room menu:

Joshua Bell
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-20 7:47 pm   Permalink

Skipper Kent's bar menu:

I have a 150dpi scan / 44MB PDF as well I'll toss somewhere tomorrow when I have a faster upload pipe.

Alas, these are not from a hidden cache of treasure discovered under the bar, but from an auction purchase.

Joshua Bell
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-04-20 9:50 pm   Permalink

PDF is here: http://inexorabletash-share.s3.amazonaws.com/Skipper%20Kent's%20Menu.pdf (~46MB, you are warned!)

Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-06 5:07 pm   Permalink

Anybody own one of these or seen one?

-Trad'r Bill

TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-06 5:22 pm   Permalink

Hey Trad'r Bill, I've seen one but don't have it. Also have seen a larger plate like that and of course the mug.
Great picture!! Where did you dig that up??

Mahalo, TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-06 5:27 pm   Permalink

Sabu, I found this video of the 1950 California Spring Garden Show... unfortunately I think this predates the one referenced in the postcard by a year... I don't see any tikis nor Frank Kent Kinda funny watch anyway.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3_bSDsktBM

Quote:

On 2009-09-24 14:40, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
Thought I'd continue a dicussion over here that started (and hopefully isn't finished) on the Tiki Finds thread.

Tiki-Kate found this very cool postcard from the California Spring Garden Show, dated 1951.

[ This Message was edited by: Trad'r Bill 2010-07-06 17:49 ]

[ This Message was edited by: trad'r bill 2010-07-06 21:52 ]

Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-07-06 5:31 pm   Permalink

Hey TabooDan-

That picture was from earlier in this topic ~ courtesy of our friend bifcozz. Good to know that plate/ashtray is out there somewhere!

Trad'r Bill

Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-19 11:11 pm   Permalink

I saw this odd item on eBay recently - kinda cool graphics.

Description says: "This tea box is marked on the front "SKIPPERS KENT'S TEA" and on one side as served at SKIPPERS KENT'S SAN FRANCISCO SPECIAL BLEND Oolong and Jasmine TEA".

Trad'r Bill

Tattoo
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2011-07-18 6:36 pm   Permalink

And here's the side...

View Profile of Tattoo Send a personal message to Tattoo  Email Tattoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-08-10 8:23 pm   Permalink

I just got the OK from mangogirl808 to post these pics from her collection - mahalo Ms. Michael! For those who don't know, mangogirl808's father purchased the Kents' former residence in Kona. She received some items left behind after the Kent's estate sale, and has been sharing them with us on
this thread.

New shot of the bar:

and a cool shot of the curio shop:

Enjoy, and thanks again mangogirl808!
-Trad'r Bill

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation