FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki tiki trader trickery
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
tiki trader trickery
theandrewssister
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-07-29 10:21 am   Permalink

I've just seen this post on the Exotica list about a rather interesting little article written by the chap behind tikitrader.com:

"talk about biting the tiki that feeds you!"

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2002/Jul/28/op/op04a.html

View Profile of theandrewssister Send a personal message to theandrewssister  Email theandrewssister     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoBeTiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2002-07-29 10:30 am   Permalink

Jesus Rocks!

http://www.mcphee.com/bigindex/current/10972.html

View Profile of SoBeTiki Send a personal message to SoBeTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-29 10:31 am   Permalink

holy cow! Allen must not think his customers read..
I find this odd and hypocritical coming from a man who has been promoting and cashing in on "all things tiki" for years. Both his store and website are filled with this very merchandise that he seems to be condeming. If he feels so strongly about "The proliferation of all things tiki has reduced the icons of Hawai'i and Polynesia to the most watered down, generic, lowest common denominator" then why are so many of these "false Idols" being sold at a premium in his very store?

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki King 2006-07-19 11:15 ]

View Profile of Tiki King Send a personal message to Tiki King  Email Tiki King Goto the website of Tiki King     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-29 10:35 am   Permalink

Hmm, sounds like Mr. St. James is not into it..wonder why he has businesses called www.tikitrader.com, the Island Decor Shop and the Hawaii Five-0 Web site? Perhaps the ol' hipster snobbery of "I was into this way before you" has something to do with it?

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-29 10:39 am   Permalink

I also guess Allen has never seen the shirts with depictions of Christ the devout wear in my neighborhood or these very popular and tasteful 'Sports' Jesus statues:

http://www.catholicshopper.com/products/inspirational_sport_statues.html

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-29 11:29 am   Permalink

He has a posted addendum

http://www.tikitrader.com/hawaiilost.html

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-29 11:42 am   Permalink

I think what allen is sayings is there is , "well, I didn't mean you shouldn't buy MY tacky idol imagery"

View Profile of Tiki King Send a personal message to Tiki King  Email Tiki King Goto the website of Tiki King     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-29 12:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I think what allen is sayings is there is , "well, I didn't mean you shouldn't buy MY tacky idol imagery"

Tikitrader.com....uggh, caveat buyer, beware emptor!!

Nice attempt at CYA.

If he didn't say it, I will. One shouldn't.

midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2002-07-29 1:34 pm   Permalink

I suppose I could point out that the girls on his hula girl mugs are white, or that the glasses with dragons on them may be disrespectful to Chinese cultural beliefs, but hey, I think he's already shown himself as a hypocrite. I like that he mentions Sven's book in one of his item descriptions. Perhaps he should read it, as that might help him to clarify where this renewed interest is coming from. I'm just making an educated guess here, but I think most of the so-called "hipsters" into this are reasonably well educated and can understand the distinction between PolyPop and Hawaiian culture. (I find is repeated attacks against "hipsters" amusing- Hip? C'mon, let's be honest: Seek The Tiki Oasis was like a Star Trek convention with alcohol.) And psst...it's really not that big of a comeback. Sure it's growing, but if you step back for some perspective, you'll find that the revival is invisible to most people. It probably looks bigger to someone who runs a Hawaiian gift store, and of course to people like us.

OK, starting to ramble. I'm looking forward to BigBro's comments on this one.

-martin

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hanford_lemoore
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-29 2:14 pm   Permalink

What I got out of the article, kind of, was that's he's against what a lot of us are... the further diluting of the concept of Tiki.

How many times have you had a non-tiki friend say "hey... check out this Tiki mask" only to find out it's of African origins and style. That bugs me.

And I too worry about the recent fadishness of tikis popping up ... I saw a pair of swim trunks at Macy's with Moais on them.

Perhaps Allen is not refering to tikiphiles like us but more to people who will jump on (and eventually off) some sort of tiki-party bandwagon.

At least that's what I got out of his article.

~Hanford

View Profile of hanford_lemoore Send a personal message to hanford_lemoore  Email hanford_lemoore Goto the website of hanford_lemoore     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2002-07-29 2:25 pm   Permalink

The author of the article obviously has a huge chip on his shoulder. What amazes me is that the newspaper printed such a heavily biased article that was obviously a blatant attempt to market his store (albeit one that may backfire on him).

martiki, your comments were well spoken, but that trekkie comparison is so embarrasing!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2002-07-29 2:40 pm   Permalink

Sure, as things get popular they get changed and diluted to fit with current tastes. It's unfortunate and inevitable, but the die hards will still be into it in 5 or 10 years and will still know the difference between a good mai tai and a bad one.

I still felt the author of the piece missed the point entirely about why you and me and most of us are into this so-called "retro tiki". Knowing about real polynesian culture has nothing whatever to do with knowing how to make a good tropical drink or the feeling one gets when walking into the Mai Kai.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-29 2:45 pm   Permalink

IF I would be an ill-thinker I would say this:

What Allen was thinking is this:

"Well now that I have to bail California and move to Hawaii because I have angered so many customers, how can I and ingratiate myself with my new neighbours...
And since other Tiki manufacturers have left me in the dust because I don't have it together business-wise, and since a lot of pro-Polynesian pop stuff has already been written without my input...:
I JUST DO A ONE EIGHTY, get all huffy about the kitsch, and thus get lots of attention and the sympathy of the Hawaiian traditionalists, and later appease the American Tiki customers I have left with a seperate piece that is not widely published in Hawaii! Yeah!
I can dance at both weddings!"

...BUT this would be assuming an intentionally manipulative mind, and I have always said that Allen is NOT a bad person. He is well meaning, but just a little confused, and so frustrated customers and these kind of writings are the result.

As a matter of fact, I know Allen has tried to bring together true Tiki mythology and Polynesian pop for a while in his texts, and I believe he has been genuinely conflicted about the impossibility to do that well.
And then he somehow snapped when he saw that Tiki head bobber!
I share his pain at seeing some of that bad cheapo Tiki crap that's out there, and I cringe when I read the misled attempts of bringing traditional Polynesian mythology together with FUN in such tomes as the "TIKI-a GO GO coco-nutty day planer". But that's pop culture!

The fact is that they are two seperate things. That is the whole point of my book. One is an extinct Islander religion, (which can never be revived the way it was, but must be recreated in a new form), the other is an American pop culture. Pop culture IS trivial by nature.

True knowledge never is affected by outer appearences. The secret protects itself. Even if it does so under the guise of a trivialized image of itself.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-29 3:04 pm   Permalink

I live for the day when someone actually has something NICE to say about Tikitrader. Like they got their order on time, or even got their order at all....

Has anyone been to the actual shop? Does he throw a clam-shell at you if you try on one of the shirts?

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-29 3:26 pm   Permalink

Do you not find it interesting that Allen's addendum justifying his remarks in the 'Honolulu Advertiser' article is as long as the original article itself? I think it says a lot about the man and his views.

Will someone just come out and say, "Hypocrite"?

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation