FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki tiki trader trickery
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
tiki trader trickery
midnite
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-29 3:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[/i]
I live for the day when someone actually has something NICE to say about Tikitrader.
Trader Woody

Woody, I hope we ALL live that long. Just don't make any large wagers on it.

Cheers,
midnite

View Profile of midnite Send a personal message to midnite      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-29 9:33 pm   Permalink

I met Allen just over a year ago. He has always been very nice to me and was very interesting to talk to. He was the very first person in the "tiki" business that I showed my carvings to. He is very knowledgeable and since I've known him, he has leaned towards the traditional Hawaiiana side of tiki. He always praised Leroy and Bob at OA. Yeah he's cooky, but aren't we all. I don't want to touch his business practices because I believe the customer should receive something better than they expected. He's hooked me up with aloha shirts, and even gave me an 8foot and 10 foot palm log about 34 inches in diameter that are just begging to be carved. I hope he takes care of his obligations and does well.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2002-07-29 10:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-07-29 15:04, Trader Woody wrote:

Has anyone been to the actual shop? Does he throw a clam-shell at you if you try on one of the shirts?

Trader Woody

a year ago, i went to his store in ventura~ (before i joined this list) i got the "eebie jeebies".. he talked incessantly about himself, dropping names...he got 2 angry customer phone calls, and one guy stopped by to complain about something else..my spider-sense was tingling..

he pushed the chipped/worn Trader Vic's plate (and ignored me, when i asked if he had a boxed one).most all his stuff was Archie McPhee quality.

he nearly took off my head when i spied old tiki stuff and tried to take a better look at it. evidently that was his "museum".

ok: i'll say something quazi nice: he didnt charge tax on the ceramic tiki (that he claimed he poured and glazed) i bought. on the other hand, he wouldnt take VISA or a check, he insisted on cash.

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamboo ben
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-29 10:47 pm   Permalink

Hmmmmmmmmmm. Very interesting!
712 Yorktown Ave. #20
Huntington Beach, Ca. 92648
Store Hours- Sat. 10-Sunset(ish)
Sun. 11-4ish
Other Hours by appointment 714 960-1860

View Profile of bamboo ben Send a personal message to bamboo ben  Email bamboo ben Goto the website of bamboo ben     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-30 01:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-07-29 14:14, hanford_lemoore wrote:

How many times have you had a non-tiki friend say "hey... check out this Tiki mask" only to find out it's of African origins and style? That bugs me.

Oh gosh, several times a week! I can't even get a decent night's sleep anymore!

Sorry, I'll crawl back under a rock now,
Tiki Chris

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2002-07-30 01:43 am   Permalink

The thing that jumps out at me from this guy's article is that he's dead wrong in many ways. He talks like he represents the Hawaiian people (carefully spelling it Hawai'i), and represents them as a humorless bunch who sniff with wounded pride every time a "haole" enjoys a tropical fantasy that contains some piece of tiki imagery. There may be *some* Hawaiians like this, just like there are *some* Christians like this, to use his example. But on the whole, I think Polynesians are hardly the sober indignant bunch that he describes.

I've been to Hawaii many times, and my parents have a friend directly descended from the royal family. These people have a great sense of humor, they love the islands, they love visitors, they love to party, they understand the mainlanders' fantasies about exotic islands, and they like to discuss and poke fun at the same time about many of the semi-mystical beliefs associated with tiki and the old KAPU laws. All with a full understanding that these are artifacts of another time, not like some sacred imagery that should be locked up in a monastery somewhere and only whispered about in awe by appointed native guardians.

The natives I know have never shown any tendency to be offended by the proliferation of *any* form of hawaiiana lite in pop culture, because they're smart enough to recognize that it's strictly about having fun. If anyone knows how to have fun, it's the Polynesians - they invented the luau! And they also see that in some ways it actually stimulates interest in the serious preservation of a historical culture. But of course that's not the main thrust of polynesian pop.

I always think of viking stuff in Scandinavia as a similar example. Over there, you can get all kinds of little viking tchotchkes and horned helmets and stuff, all because the people, on the whole, are able to have FUN with it!

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-30 07:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

aquarj wrote: I always think of viking stuff in Scandinavia as a similar example. Over there, you can get all kinds of little viking tchotchkes and horned helmets and stuff, all because the people, on the whole, are able to have FUN with it!

Then again, you don't see too many Germans selling little jack-booted dolls or brown shirts with the 'Deaths Head' insignia on 'em. Ho Ho.

Ooops, I think I might be blurring threads....

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamboo ben
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-30 08:24 am   Permalink

I'd think the compition with the ABC Stores would be hard to beat with trinkets but I haven't a clue as for what so-called vintage goes for on the islands.
A & M's
benboo bam

View Profile of bamboo ben Send a personal message to bamboo ben  Email bamboo ben Goto the website of bamboo ben     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
laney
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-30 11:25 am   Permalink

VERY WELL PUT, aquarj! You said exactly what I was feeling! Perfect way to explain the "Aloha Sprit" and lightness I experience when visiting the Hawaiian Islands! Hang Loose! Laney

View Profile of laney Send a personal message to laney  Email laney     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2002-07-30 1:48 pm   Permalink

Regarding Germans and "little jack-booted dolls", that's probably a joke, but let me clarify...

Viking culture and imagery was closely tied in with the representations of the norse gods, like Odin and Thor and all that. Likewise the imagery of the tiki gods was often meant for intimidation - the traditional Ku is the war god after all, right? And ancient Polynesian history had its share of man-against-man brutality, directly associated with these images. But I think the use of these images in a modern pop context really has nothing to do with these original meanings. When a little Danish kid wears a Viking helmet, it has absolutely nothing to do with plundering villages, and the culture as a whole recognizes that.

I'm sure the nazi reference is supposed to make a point, since obviously it's hard to "have fun" with those images. But as always, there are people who cherish the bad and people who cherish the good, and it's a shame that Germans are so often associated with just the horrific nazi era. Actually I think the Germans in particular have a history of very powerful iconography, dating much further back than just the last century. And contrary to the stereotype, the Germans know how to have fun too (and a few of them happen to be experts on tiki).

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KokomoTikiBar&Grill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-30 2:43 pm   Permalink

I WILL SWEAR AN OATH TODAY TO NEVER DEAL WITH THE TIKI TRADER.

View Profile of KokomoTikiBar&Grill Send a personal message to KokomoTikiBar&Grill      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-30 3:10 pm   Permalink

Man, it's really weird to read an article by some white guy who is more culturally reactionary about Polynesia than any Hawaiian I ever met. I think only the totally ignorant would want to remove all traces of Polynesian Pop culture from the islands. Of course, this would mean no more ukeleles, steel guitars, aloha shirts, flip-flops, or surfing on fiberglass boards. The Hawaii we all love, including most Hawaiians, is one of the most unique melding of cultures that ever was. The Hawaii we know couldn't have existed without the influence of other cultures -- Asian and European. And, that phenomena reached it's zenith around 1959 when the islands became a state and jet travel became common. To condemn haole's living in 2002 as some kind of cultural wrecking crew is ridiculous. The events that changed ancient Hawaiian culture forever happened about 150 years earlier than the era we celebrate as tiki culture.

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-30 3:13 pm   Permalink

Whoops! My little joke backfired slightly. I wasn't making any connection at all between the nazis and the vikings. It was more a response to BigBro's call for German jokes.

Having spent a few months in Germany, I can safely say that not once was I accosted by Nazis and in fact was given huge quantities of beer by my Bavarian pals.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-30 3:39 pm   Permalink

And for those who want to get heavily into collecting fun Scandinavian Viking thingamajigs:
http://www.mpawson.demon.co.uk/noggins.html

And now back to dissing Tiki Trader.

Trader Woody

dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2002-07-30 7:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-07-30 13:48, aquarj wrote:
When a little Danish kid wears a Viking helmet, it has absolutely nothing to do with plundering villages, and the culture as a whole recognizes that.

-Randy

WHAT? they dont wear those all the time? next you're gonna tell me, that boy's mom normal attire isn't that metallic cone bra!

[ This Message was edited by: dogbytes on 2002-07-30 19:13 ]

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation