FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki tiki trader trickery
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
tiki trader trickery
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-30 8:11 pm   Permalink

One only has to look at the result of what the fear of political incorrectness has done to modern Waikiki:
In this Mecca of Polynesian culture there is hardly a Tiki Bar to be found, but lots of generic corporate outfits. From the Hard Rock Cafe to Banana Republic, Wolfgang Puck to Japanese chains, franchises that can be encountered in any city all over the world abound. Maybe some places apply a careful touch of Polynesia here and there, but all in good taste, just don't be Tiki-tacky!

In the heyday of Tiki on the mainland, MANY Hawaiian, Samoan and Tongan expatriates frequented places like the Bali Hai in San Diego, The Seven Seas in Hollywood and Kono Hawaii in Anaheim, because they were as close to "home" there as they could be. I am sure these islanders could differenciate between a sacred Heiau and a place to have fun.

The obsession that true religion can only be treated with awe and stiff respect is a stuffy Christian notion brought on by the missionairies. Ancient Polynesians were as playful as they were fearful in their dealings with their gods. The representation of their ancestors was giving them mana, and mana was and is a positive energy flow, be it at home or in a place of business.

I truly believe that my Book of Tiki, which has been distributed all over the world, from Norway to Argentina, has increased the mana of Polynesian culture rather than harmed it.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJones
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-07-30 8:49 pm   Permalink

Time for two cents: tikitrader is thief & crook! A year ago my wife purchased a hand carved tiki pole from this guy for my birthday yet she never got it, even after repeated emails & phone calls. Finally she bought a pole from Bosko (Truss & him are the best) and gave it to me for are anniversary, when she explained then tikithief incident. Right away I started bugging this guy with emails & phone calls after 6-8 weeks I got two plastic tiki mugs, 1 broken tiki mug & 1 mug intact, NICE! Finally in another 3-5 weeks I got a couple of small wooden tiki's, kinda cool but too little too late. I have always wanted to write something on this board about this guy but didn't want to step on any toes, so heres to one of the best threads ever!

View Profile of TikiJones Send a personal message to TikiJones      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-31 12:20 am   Permalink

I have read the rant again, and now have come to a psychological conclusion:

The repeated attack on "Tiki hipsters" points to this:
Allen is not really aware that he did wrong in his business dealings. But after years of condemnation by a large part of the disgruntled Tiki community because of said incompetence, he had to either admit fault OR find a position for himself that allowed him to live with himself. He wanted to give Tiki to the public, but the ungrateful SOBs rejected him.

The human capacity for selfjustification is limitless, and he needed a perspective that afforded him to be able to condemn the ones that condemned him in order to go on, so they became TIKI HIPSTERS.

This way of bending your reality has elements of schizophrenia, as the contradicting article and addendum show.

....or, on second thought, maybe he just recently got a tradition conscious Hawaiian girlfriend!?

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki on 2002-07-31 00:28 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-31 02:09 am   Permalink

Yo Ben! It's LA CONCHITA. Just south of Santa Barbara. There used to be a Tiki carver there in the banana farm. Sorry folks that this is off the subject, but the Tiki Trader's old store was only 15 minutes away from here, and he told me about this old carver that once lived here, so it kind of fits . Right?

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-02 1:41 pm   Permalink

Today's Honolulu Advertiser actually printed my (above) response to Allen St.James' "essay", in the "Letters to the editor" section. But WHO writes those headers, they got it all backward: "Tiki entertainment gets mostly generic touch"!??
But I feel acknowledged to be among other serious Island concerns like "Dog complaints fall on deaf ears" and "'Hobby,' if made legal, would create more jobs", which I want to reprint here:

"Why is there so much fussing about chicken fighting? If the government was smart, they would legalize it. Why? Because it will bring more jobs for the people of the Hawaiian Islands, and it is also culture. Anyway, it's not as bad as they say it is. I read the July 29 article about the chicken fights and yes, there are a lot of people that come. But some of them are only there for the Filipino food. So you people out there who give us cockfighters a bad name, we are human just like you. The only difference is our hobbies and I love my hobby."

Right on!
...but on the more serious side, (and to not make me look like I am trying to portray Hawaii as a banana republic), here is a truly valuable and angering letter:

"Leasehold conversion law lost its moral intent

Like rain that falls incessantly from above, the constant downpour on Hawaiian trusts, entitlements and lands is slowly eroding away the foundation of our people.
The deluge of lawsuits, condemnation of lands and threats upon Hawaiian institutions are inundating the few resources the Hawaiian people can claim. Yet again, those who have much are bullying those with so little.
The recent passage of Bill 53 through its second reading before the City Council is an example of outright political pressure exerted by those who have the money to lobby our council members against the will of the people.
The mandatory leasehold conversion law has lost its moral intent and is now up for grabs to the highest bidder.
The Queen Lili'uokalani Trust is being threatened by Bill 53, specifically, the queen's ancestral lands in Waikiki. A considerable portion of the income generated from these properties is used for services and support our people receive through the Queen Lili'uokalani Children's Center.
Lunalilo Trust. Kamehameha Schools. Office of Hawaiian Affairs. Department of Hawaiian Home Lands. The lawsuits and manipulation of the law by attorneys who seek to cast down the rights of Native Hawaiians and indigenous people continue.
Where does this leave you, my dear Hawaiian people? Are you content to sit on the sidelines while all that our ali'i entrusted for our care is swept away?
"You must remember never to cease to act because you fear you may fail!"
Our beloved queen's words should stoke the fires in the hearts of her people. Remain silent no longer!"

That is beautiful, maddening and makes me want to get into politics to fight the fight! How would Atomic Cocktail say: Lawyers- Into the volcano with 'em!

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki on 2002-08-02 13:47 ]

TheTikiGuy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-08-02 2:04 pm   Permalink

What's wrong with simply preserving history?

View Profile of TheTikiGuy Send a personal message to TheTikiGuy  Email TheTikiGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-02 2:16 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-08-02 14:04, TheTikiGuy wrote:
What's wrong with simply preserving history?

...uh, what is this refering to? Tiki Bars can't be counted as "preserving history" for the Polynesians, that would play into Allen's corner if we would make that claim.
Or do you mean US preserving the history of Tiki Bars?

samoa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-08-02 2:18 pm   Permalink

a copy of a copy, wrapped in an enigma of a copy........... and i say more cartoonish the better! i feel like he is talking about me! and i like it i think everybody is too serious. so what if today's hipster only is interested for a short time and then get rid of their tiki mug, who cares...., at least they had a good time & i buy their tiki mug cheap at a swap meet

[ This Message was edited by: samoa on 2002-08-02 15:17 ]

View Profile of samoa Send a personal message to samoa  Email samoa Goto the website of samoa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-02 6:15 pm   Permalink

Hasn't the whole land deal in Hawaii been a byword for corruption for decades? Only Florida appears to have a worse repution. My admittedly limited sources have pointed out that the whole real estate deal out there is a virtually criminal farce.

But what's the real deal?

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fonduie
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-08-02 8:03 pm   Permalink

<h1>Right on Samoa!</h1> I already Like You!

Quote:

On 2002-08-02 14:18, samoa wrote:
a copy of a copy, wrapped in an enigma of a copy........... and i say more cartoonish the better! i feel like he is talking about me! and i like it i think everybody is too serious. so what if today's hipster only is interested for a short time and then get rid of their tiki mug, who cares...., at least they had a good time & i buy their tiki mug cheap at a swap meet

[ This Message was edited by: samoa on 2002-08-02 15:17 ]

View Profile of Fonduie Send a personal message to Fonduie      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
vintagegirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-02 8:43 pm   Permalink

BigBro,

Are these lawyers working for the developers who want to destroy these lands for profit? If not, on whose behalf are they starting lawsuits? Is there some kind of preservation/conservation organization there that can step in and help to fight back?

View Profile of vintagegirl Send a personal message to vintagegirl  Goto the website of vintagegirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamboo ben
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-03 06:58 am   Permalink

Chickens are cool! Lawyers suck! Polynesian Hipness is way good (it's a safe fantasy come true! And, I do it for a living !). So, the whole thing boils down to, Alan had to move cause he ripped people off and was no longer hip cause the lawyers started lawsuits against him and now he will have nightmares of chickens attacking him while he's at an illigal cock fight in the beautiful islands we all love?
Into the volcano with him, the lawyers, but save the chickens!!!!
712 Yorktown Ave. #20
Huntington Beach, Ca. 92648
Store Hours- Sat. 10-Sunset(ish)
Sun. 11-4ish
Other Hours by appointment 714 960-1860

View Profile of bamboo ben Send a personal message to bamboo ben  Email bamboo ben Goto the website of bamboo ben     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-03 2:02 pm   Permalink

BigBro,
I'm not sure but I bet the land dispute has to do with the Bishop Estate in Hawaii which held lots and lots of land in trust for the benefit of the Hawaiian people. The trustees leased the land for 100 years to developers who then built homes, etc. on it. I bet those leases are ending and the Hawaiians want the trustees to take the land back... My mom and dad owned a house with a 100 year lease on the land that was set to expire around the turn of the century (2000).
Similar situations happened in Mexico awhile back and on Native American land in Arizona. I guess people thought a 100 year lease would never be a problem. So, who says our civilization is short-sighted...

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2002-08-03 14:06 ]

[ This Message was edited by: kailuageoff on 2002-08-03 19:39 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-10 09:41 am   Permalink

Thanks, Gecko. I read the Tikitrader's article. What a cranky, bitter old knitpicker. I think Bob Van Oosting and Leroy Scmaltz have the best attitude toward the whole genre, of great respect and knowledge for the true primitive origins of this culture combined with the realization that like most things Americans want, they have put their own stamp on it, made it a little less serious and perhaps a little more fun, and ran with it. That understanding is why they've done so well in the past 47 years! I have both books on American Tiki culture and serious books on art of the Pacific rim. Who the heck is Tikitrader to say I can only have one or the other? The guy should lighten up and sell something.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SlovakTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-11-10 10:57 am   Permalink

I am continually astonished at the intellectual capacity of the people who post on this forum, given that a large part of the
Tiki cult centers around drinking.I hope this doesn't sound hypocritical.

View Profile of SlovakTiki Send a personal message to SlovakTiki  Email SlovakTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation