Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Bamboo Island Luau Photos
Bamboo Island Luau Photos
TikiHula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-29 12:08 pm   Permalink

A bunch of us met at the new Bamboo Island restaurant and bar for their luau last night- and a fun time was had by all! Great to meet a bunch more TikiCentral folks and to see Randy, Naomi, and Mig again....Tiki King even brought tiki pendants for all of us!

Big thanks to Martin and Rebecca for getting us all together!

Enjoying our Mai Tais and Lava Flows
From the lower left: Martin, Rebecca, Mig, Mig's two guests, Naomi, Randy, Jessica, Shannon

Tiki King, Queen, and Princess- The Royal Tiki Family

After the luau- that's me next to Martin with shy Jessica and Shannon hiding behind me

One of the two identical tikis they have

Tiki King serenading us on one of the hand carved/detailed ukes that he makes

One last group photo

www.tikiroom.net

[ This Message was edited by: TikiHula on 2002-07-29 12:13 ]

View Profile of TikiHula Send a personal message to TikiHula  Email TikiHula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2002-07-29 12:23 pm   Permalink

How about a food and drink review? And don't be afraid to be critical!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2002-07-29 2:44 pm   Permalink

Well...this was my second dining experience there, and was quite good. My lunch was very tasty- it's an upscale, Roy's-style menu, very california-flavored island food. The buffet at the luau was also very good- I'm giving them some leeway since it was a buffet and it's hard to be great with steam tables. I thought the only dish that fell down was the mahi mahi which was very dry and tough.

I think the drinks are basically terrible so far, as I've tried four from the menu.
Mai Tai- tastes OK but is not a Mai Tai. Should be renamed Bamboo Islan Punch and would be OK.
Lava Flow- Just too sweet for me. (Coconut and grenadine based)
Mojito- not enough mint and not carbonated.
Guava Rita- Guava juice Margarita. Actually pretty good, but difficult to justify a $7.50 price for some Cuervo and Kerns Guava Juice.

We had a great time. Thanks to everyone that came out for it. It was nice to put some more faces to UserNames.

Thanks for the great pics Mike!

And thanks again for the tiki pendants, TikiKing! I've been wearing my Lava Guy for three years and now he has a friend.

-martin

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2002-07-29 2:51 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the review. I'll go for the food and drink beer!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-29 3:02 pm   Permalink

That Tiki reminds me very much of a stretched version of the misinterpreted "Tahitian Cannibal Carving" on the Don The beachcomber menu (BoT, p.68) and the back of THE LUAU menu (p.105)

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki King
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-29 3:09 pm   Permalink

We had a great time. The food was pretty good, but I agree about the Mai-Tai (pinapple juice? guava Juice?)not really a Mai Tai, and the Mahi Mahi was a tad dry. But the company more than made up for it. It seemed like the staff was trying hard to please with out being "in your face" All in all not bad, but they need to maybe modify the drink recipes and get more Tikis!

View Profile of Tiki King Send a personal message to Tiki King  Email Tiki King Goto the website of Tiki King     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj

Posted: 2002-07-30 12:47 am   Permalink

Thanks to Martin for setting up our dinner and to Tiki King for the great pendant! Wow! Some more photos...

me, Rebecca, Martin, Tiki King, Princess, and Queen, and Mike

Naomi compares dental work with the tiki

Mike and Naomi investigating tiki's "sixpack abs"

And a special bonus picture. I've been traveling a lot lately for work - mostly uninteresting hotels and stuff, but here's an unusual juxtaposition...

Hope to post more previously promised pictures soon, honest.
-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mig
Official Man-About-Town  

Posted: 2002-07-30 08:53 am   Permalink

I would like to mention that TikiPrincess is just about the cutest kid ever. Any of you out there with cute tikiphile kids, they may be cute, but sorry, TikiPrincess takes the cake. So cute that I couldn't stop staring (and I'm hoping that T-King and T-Queen take that as flattery and nothing creepy!) She is getting my vote for official Tiki Central mascot. And according to Tiki King, she's the youngest member of the Santa Cruz Ukelele Player's Association... very cool! VIVA LA TIKI PRINCESS!!

View Profile of mig Send a personal message to mig  Email mig Goto the website of mig     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kilikopela
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-07-30 4:48 pm   Permalink

Another cute lil tikiphile I spotted recently was at the Hukilau. Sunday night at the drive-in, this little 3yr old (Isabella daughter of Elizabeth) did a topless belly dance! And King Kukulele caught it on video! I hope he sends it on to the Menehunes to post on their site, cuz it was hilarious - uh, enchanting!

Aloha

View Profile of Kilikopela Send a personal message to Kilikopela  Email Kilikopela     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-30 4:57 pm   Permalink

My vote for adorable Tiki Pincess goes to Catalina, CC and Anne's kid. She's just to precious.
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamboo ben
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-05 09:04 am   Permalink

Any Bamboo there? Besides the name?
712 Yorktown Ave. #20
Huntington Beach, Ca. 92648
Store Hours- Sat. 10-Sunset(ish)
Sun. 11-4ish
Other Hours by appointment 714 960-1860

View Profile of bamboo ben Send a personal message to bamboo ben  Email bamboo ben Goto the website of bamboo ben     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2002-08-05 11:48 am   Permalink

The ceiling over the bar and in some places of the main dining room have bamboo poles. They are laid out in a spaced apart, minimalist fashion. There are also several poles hanging vertically from the skylight of various sizes, creating a kind of giant windchime effect.

Nothing that you couldn't handle in your sleep, Ben.

-martin

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation