FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki eBay Hawaiian Shirt Sells For $3,335.00!!!
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
eBay Hawaiian Shirt Sells For $3,335.00!!!
ModMana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-21 6:21 pm   Permalink

Can anyone who collects shirts or knows about them please explain why this is worth so much? Who's got that kind of money to spend on one shirt? That price just blows me away! Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2870567612&category=52393

ModMana

View Profile of ModMana Send a personal message to ModMana  Email ModMana     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rider
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-21 7:30 pm   Permalink

I bought it cause I needed one to wear when my ShaG Tikiroom sHirt is in the dirty clothes.

View Profile of Tiki Rider Send a personal message to Tiki Rider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomicchick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-21 8:19 pm   Permalink

You have got to be kidding me!!! Man, if you are spending $3000+ for a shirt, you have too much money. Why don't you donate a little money to someone who really needs it? It might give you more personal satisfaction than wearing an old shirt.

View Profile of Atomicchick Send a personal message to Atomicchick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-21 10:15 pm   Permalink

Only an idiot would believe that a 1940's shirt has never been worn.

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-21 10:34 pm   Permalink

Hmmm...very interesting. The winning bidder has won 7 items from this same seller (and has paid major bucks for his/her stuff). I don't quite get it...

A question to those experienced seamstress's and tailors (PJ, Atomic Cocktail, VintageGirl): Is this design that of the 1940's?

OR

Is it the "Kenny's Mens Shop" label that makes it so expensive?

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-21 10:55 pm   Permalink

5-o, if you bought it, good for you!

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SES
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-22 07:37 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: susane on 2004-01-20 09:03 ]

View Profile of SES Send a personal message to SES      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-22 11:40 am   Permalink

Ah, he's Japanese, according to his feedback reviews, where I also learned that he bought at least 3 vintage leather jackets (one for $720), and I didn't even read very far down. Lots of yen to spare, I guess.

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-22 6:47 pm   Permalink

HAR, what a dork this person was! Reminds me of the men's consign shop I walked into the other day where I saw a hoodie on the wall that apparently cost $1200 new - it was going for only $900.

A hoodie, folks! I honestly don't believe you can have too much money...but the CRAP people spend it on will never cease to amaze me. That accusation has often been levelled at collectors, but I do believe there's a big-ass difference between being passionate about something and wanting to surround yourself with it, and buying a rag to drape on your body whose only pupose is to proclaim "I have more money than creativity, brains, or imagination".

Hope it smells like spoiled aftershave and B.O.!

, em

View Profile of emspace Send a personal message to emspace      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-22 7:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I'm not seeing that...

Oops. My mistake. I was looking at "hcafwc's" past history with this seller. Even his/her buys were some crazy expenditures, but hey, if that's what makes'em happy, then ok.

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SES
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-22 8:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-11-22 19:32, SugarCaddyDaddy wrote:
Oops. My mistake.

Rats! I thought you had some secret knowledge that I was missing and could enlighten me on the mysteries of ebay...

View Profile of SES Send a personal message to SES      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-23 11:35 pm   Permalink

Uhhh Emspace... What's a "Hoodie"?
Aloha,

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mattfink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-24 07:18 am   Permalink

Reminds me of the Shrunken Head shirt that went for some ungodly amount. You never know who this person could be...serious collector, rich person who dug it....could even be someone who buys clothes for movies. I've heard that some wardrobe budgets are sick!

Matt

View Profile of mattfink Send a personal message to mattfink  Email mattfink Goto the website of mattfink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-24 10:18 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-11-23 23:35, Tiki Royale wrote:
Uhhh Emspace... What's a "Hoodie"?
Aloha,

]

You know, those sweat tops all the kids wear, with a hood. A couple of yards of sweatshirt fabric with a hood, that's it.

, em.

View Profile of emspace Send a personal message to emspace      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-11-24 11:14 am   Permalink

What do you suppose a laboring peasant from Guatamala would think of us spending $65 on a Shag tiki mug?

The answer: read any of the above posts about someone paying $3,500+ for the Aloha Shirt.

It's all relative folks (but not in a Jerry Lee Lewis kinda way)

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation