FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tiki Carving Methodology
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Tiki Carving Methodology
Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-27 11:57 am   Permalink

[bump]

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-04 10:16 am   Permalink

Well, folks...I'm baaaacckk. fixing to light into my first log in two years. Here's a few photos of stuff I use, and I'll post a step by step, hack job or no I work in the great outdoors now, no more workshop, and have my kit down to a fairly portable form, utilizing a couple of old 747 galley cases. In the first photo we see lots and lots of chisels. Suffice it to say, one does not need this many chisels to carve tikis. A lot of these are one trick ponies, so you won't use them often in the carving process. The second shot is a close-up of the row of chisels I most often use, which are old straight gouges, shallow gouges, and a few parting tools ("V" gouges) and spoon gouges. Many of these are old ones I have found in my antique travels, some are new. I prefer Henry Taylor chisels for the new ones. The third photo is of a wet wheel sharpener I use, which basically is like an electric wetstone that continually revolves through an oil bath. But any old hardware store wetstone will do. I'd have a piece of leather around usually to strop tools with. The fourth is templates, and lord, I use tons of them . A simple cut-out cardboard template is the best friend of symmetry. I make one for eyes, legs, and nose on a tiki. Simply trace off one side, flip it obverse and trace off the other side, and viola, you have instant carbon-copy symmetry from side to side. The fifth photo is where I'll be carving. Namely my backyard in Athens, Ga. Mosquito repellent in tow...One can spend a lot more time doing the Samoan Slap Dance than carving around here without it!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-04 10:20 am   Permalink

BK, there is a whole slew of carvers that you helped to inspire, posting some kickass pieces. Welcome back.

http://www.NiceFishy.com

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kahakai Kane

Posted: 2005-09-04 11:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-09-04 10:20, Raffertiki wrote:
BK, there is a whole slew of carvers that you helped to inspire

Me being one of them, and this is the post I've been waiting for....
-KK

View Profile of Kahakai Kane Send a personal message to Kahakai Kane      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-04 11:25 am   Permalink

We got to chat a while with BK last night, and it felt gooood. The world's a better place with your carvings in it.

For those who aren't familiar with Basement Kahuna's work (I encourage anyone who's interested in carving to do a search to look for the scads & scads of his amazing work here on TC), here's a link to a piece that's close to my heart. I purchased this Meeting House piece last fall as part of the Hukilau auction, and it is the most spectacular piece in my collection. Any of you who came to our room during Oasis got to see it -- it was the subject of many loving gazes that weekend.

This thread has lots of step-by-step carving pics:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=6426&forum=7&vpost=61877

And here's the finished piece:

So glad you're back!

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-04 11:39 am   Permalink

BK, so, what's the one chisel you use most? I have used my 1" flat more than anything. Once I get in tighter places, I use the smaller flats. Looking at that set up, I would assume you are using a gouge more than anything. Correct?

I think you are right on about antique store chisels. As long as they are in a shape you can sharpen, they are likely a great deal.

I bought the Irwin Marples which are currently made in Sheffield England and have been happy, They are moving production though, so get them now before they are not made in Sheffield.

Good to see you back at it!

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-04 12:18 pm   Permalink

Yes it was nice to SHOUT with you and so many others late last night. We have missed your frequent contributions since you had to step aside for awhile. We knew you would be back and today is a great day for us as you return with gusto. Your many TC friends and fans welcome you back!
Now slap on the repellent and get busy you old chiseler.
Your friend, 8FT

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-04 2:01 pm   Permalink

Welcome Back BK, it's about time. We have missed you, but kept a spot open and warm for you. Can't wait to see some more BK treadures again!
HappyHappyHappy

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikimecula
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-04 6:25 pm   Permalink

Glad your Back, BK! Looking forward to seeing more of your amazing work!

View Profile of tikimecula Send a personal message to tikimecula  Email tikimecula Goto the website of tikimecula     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-04 7:10 pm   Permalink

Hi, guys and gals...you're all great friends..without the egging on, inspiration (from those here with real talent) , and encouragement this site provided me way back when I'd have never become a carver. Tim, my favorite chisel is actually the old beat up Stanley straight chisel from the 50's with the handle wrapped in duct tape..cuts truer and keeps an edge better than any I've ever owned, and I bought it at a flea market for 50 cents! A close second is a Henry Taylor huge shallow fan gouge. It just does a lot of work fast. But it's getting hard to hone now (needs replacing). This log has some problems, namely some deep checks and fungus in a couple of spots, so it's a work-around job, but it should look good. Just a big, traditional Marquesan to re-cut my tiki teeth.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-04 7:15 pm   Permalink

Humu, you're too much...

Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-05 12:01 pm   Permalink

We have a pattern and the head is rounded! Vely, vely impoootaaant....know what you want to do before you start carving. Unless you are a direct descendent of Ku or a Paupua New Guinea native, it really pays to trace out a careful pattern on your log. Not only does it allow you to informedly work around imperfections in the wood (knots, rot, checks, etc.) but it will make your carving day a lot faster. Start with a pencil sketch and then when your sure trace your lines with a magic marker. Clair Chennault never sent his Flying Tigers into the air before he knew exactly how many Japs he was facing...his attrition rate by the end of WW2 was near thirty to one...Wierd juxtuposition, but, hey.. This log has a few problems, namely some checking, a couple of knots, and a 1 1/2 inch round rot spot which stops 1/2 inch short of where my eye line landed (shown in the close-up). It's also important to do a frantic Haka war dance around your log before you start carving (shown in last photo).

Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-05 12:30 pm   Permalink

Alright BK!
Welcome Back!

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Moondance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-05 12:56 pm   Permalink

BK- You have grass in your basement!!
What do the arrows mean on your drawing layout?
Thank you
Wes

-- Chinese proverb

[ This Message was edited by: Moondance 2005-09-05 12:56 ]

View Profile of Moondance Send a personal message to Moondance  Email Moondance Goto the website of Moondance     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-05 2:56 pm   Permalink

Yep. Looks like BK is Baaaccck!
Hooorayyyy

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation