FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Tiki Carving Methodology
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Tiki Carving Methodology
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-05 3:32 pm   Permalink

Ben, you da monster... Moon, the arrows just remind me of the slope direction.

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-05 4:15 pm   Permalink

Glad to see you back. This post and a few others are what inspired me to try carving.

Cant wait to see more!!

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
congatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-05 5:31 pm   Permalink

appreciate the pics and tips BK...this one will be fun
to watch!

View Profile of congatiki Send a personal message to congatiki  Email congatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki G.
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-06 07:14 am   Permalink

B.K., I as everyone have been wondering when your spirit would return. Glad to see the gods are shining upon our graces and yours. Welcome back.

Guess you are going to have to change your name now, unless you can find another basement to carve in!

"Lawn Kahuna" or something another.......

Just take off your shoes and dig your toes into the grass and you'll be fine!

Let them swords fly, once again.

View Profile of Tiki G. Send a personal message to Tiki G.  Email Tiki G. Goto the website of Tiki G.     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Palama Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-06 07:25 am   Permalink

BK, i'll have to second (third, fourth, fifth) all the carvers who said that it was you who helped inspire them to carve; mainly you, Benz, and A-A were the drivers when I first logged on to this site. (That's not meant to slight anyone else here). it was your step-by-step photos that gave me the "AHA" moment as to how to carve.

welcome back!

View Profile of Palama Tiki Send a personal message to Palama Tiki  Email Palama Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-09-06 5:33 pm   Permalink

Welcome back! I can't wait to see the progress on this piece.

Now I don't have to continually dig for your thread...

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-06 10:33 pm   Permalink

(translation: happyhappyhappy)

Hey, welcome back BK.

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-07 12:26 am   Permalink

This tiki has a very special client now! The most speshulest teeeki bar in the whole wide world, (at least my favorite one of all time, hands down, and one hopefully we'll all meet at in October!!).

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-09 12:13 am   Permalink

Go get 'em BK...

And git your tail down to Hukilau this year.

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-09 11:09 pm   Permalink

I'm there, man...(thanking all that need to be thanked!!) Alright...here are some photos of the progress...A couple of shots of what I'm doing...Basically, I'm doing guide cuts and then angling in on them. The cuts on a Marquesan are mostly 90 degrees. I sink a duckbill chisel (something I made, just by grinding a flat chisel down to a 16th of an inch in a duckbill taper shape so it can sink very deep into a log) in 1 inch and a half (marking the depth on the chisel with a magic marker) and then cut the wood at an angle into it. There are a couple here of cutting Marquesan teeth as well...I have another specialized tool strictly for carving Marquesans I improvised called my "Chopper Popper" . What it is is basically a spatulate shaped chisel with a round tip that I ground down on a bench grinder. It fits the contour of a deep gouge that I use to do the teeth on all of my Marquesans..Just start the tooth line with trusty gouge and a rubber mallet (I want to be sort of gentle when carving these so I don't have too much wood taken out should I want to change the pitch of the tooth a wee bit). Once I am to the lip line, I just "pop" the tooth out with the improvised tool. Works kinda nice. Now it's time to start the sleepy eyes!!

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-10 06:08 am   Permalink

Ahhh, bringing back the good ol' days. BK, it is SO Nice to have your workings grace the pages of "Creating Tiki" again. This looks like another Super BK tiki coming out of that log.
Did I say HappyHappyHappy?

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-10 08:47 am   Permalink

You're too much, Ben. You raised the bar when you showed up here, man. We could all learn from you! I'd say any subsequent Book Of Tiki should include a chapter on you and your Tropicana tikis..Amazing stuff.

Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-10 09:09 am   Permalink

You are the king of step-by-steps, BK. Your posts are full of useful info - this latest batch "reminds" me of the old days before I started w/ TC. I've gone back to this old post more times than I can remember. Big Marq is going to look great.

A-A

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Sperm Whale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-10 09:47 am   Permalink

This thread "Kicks Ass". Basement Kahuna thanks for creating this thread and taking the time to show your work step by step. All of your work is bitchen!!! The new Marqesian Tiki is coming along nicely!!!
Thanks Again,
Spermy

View Profile of The Sperm Whale Send a personal message to The Sperm Whale  Email The Sperm Whale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rodeotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-10 12:48 pm   Permalink

I have to also thank you. Seeing these pics sets of a light bulb in my head. You need to put this to print and sell it!!!

Cant wait to see more.

View Profile of rodeotiki Send a personal message to rodeotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation