Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Samurai Grog & Karate Punch
Samurai Grog & Karate Punch
Traderval
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-11-25 08:59 am   Permalink

I just received two new vintage mugs from across the pond: the Karate Punch and the Samurai Grog. Of course I want to celebrate them with the according concoction. Has anyone the recipe for those two drinks? Is the Karate Punch related to Beachbums Hai Karate?

All recommendations are welcome and will be tested.

View Profile of Traderval Send a personal message to Traderval  Email Traderval     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
John in Montreal
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-25 09:49 am   Permalink

I just recently picked up a Samurai Grog mug myself. I'm not a big mug collector and this is not a great-looking mug but for 50 cents, I thought what the heck.

I found a few pictures of it on the web but not much else in the way of useful background info as to what the drink ingredients should be...

View Profile of John in Montreal Send a personal message to John in Montreal  Email John in Montreal Goto the website of John in Montreal     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-25 09:54 am   Permalink

just make sure that you don't end up drinking the AFTERSHAVE named Hai Karate. that stuff is toxic...
jest mah 2 cents,
j$

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-25 10:37 am   Permalink

Those names crack me up, I just picture an Austin Powers-ish bartender slamming those drinks down real fast on the bar and saying "JUDO CHOP!". That martial arts strike in those old movies always made me laugh, yeah, you knock somebody out with one "JUDO CHOP!" to the trap. Sorry for the hi-jack,but I gotta big mouth.

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SuperEight
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-11 7:26 pm   Permalink

Bump. I have the Karate Punch now too and I'm wondering what the drink was.

View Profile of SuperEight Send a personal message to SuperEight  Email SuperEight     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-10-14 10:23 am   Permalink

I reckon the Karate Punch mugs are fairly new (you can order a case of 'em online). Over in Tiki Collecting, someone mentioned that they got theirs at Miyako Hotel in SF which is now Hotel Kabuki. Hotel Kabuki has a karaoke bar. So, maybe we have an intrepid explorer here that can go to Japan Town and do some research??? I'm willing to bet that a recipe for both mugs can be found. Maybe I should write up a grant to get some research money.

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2011-05-24 9:39 pm   Permalink

I found this;
http://blog.syracuse.com/drinks/2009/11/central_new_york_signature_coc_15.html
"The drink: The Karate Punch. Its sweet and floral, Nolan said, but guys drink it, too. We call it a foo-foo drink with a punch, she said.

What's in it:
1 ounces apricot brandy
1 ounces vodka
ounce triple sec
ounce grenadine
3 ounce sour mix
orange juice, to top off

Ingredients of note: Apricot brandy gives this drink its floral and fruity notes. The shot of orange juice at the end provides fresh citrus.

One more thing: Several Ichiban drinks have Japanese themes, such as the sake-based Geisha Delight, the blackberry-infused Ho Tais Dream and the melon-flavored Sakura Cocktail. Each of these comes in an optional ceramic mug with shapes such as Buddha, Geisha Girl or Cat for an extra $4.25"

I have a feeling, though, that if you asked 20 bars that served this for the recipe, that you would get 20 variations. But, who knows?!?

Now, can someone find the Samurai Grog recipe?
If you like it, it is ZAZZ! If you don't it is RAZZ!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-24 10:16 pm   Permalink

where's the punch? is the OJ spoilt?

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jingleheimerschmidt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-05-25 10:02 am   Permalink

Quote:

Now, can someone find the Samurai Grog recipe?

Looks like the Samurai Grog came from a restaurant in Pittsburg called....Samurai Restaurant. Looks like Benihana took it over.

View Profile of jingleheimerschmidt Send a personal message to jingleheimerschmidt      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation