Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Value of 50's Velvet Painting - take a look
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Value of 50's Velvet Painting - take a look
babydumplin

Posted: 2003-11-29 07:47 am   Permalink

I had intended to list this item on Ebay but when I contacted a collector for history or info. they want me to sell it to them. I want to be fair but don't want to cheat myself either.

Painting looks to be from 50's or early 60's because address has no zip code. Measures 24 x 28 with bamboo frame. Legends on back and artist signature on front "Allin" Hawaii. Please take a look at the photos and give me your opinions. Mahalo nui loa

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/1003/babydumplin/hawaiian.JPG

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/1003/babydumplin/legend_1.JPG

http://www.photobucket.com/albums/1003/babydumplin/legend_2.JPG

[ This Message was edited by: babydumplin on 2003-11-29 16:42 ]

View Profile of babydumplin Send a personal message to babydumplin      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-29 08:43 am   Permalink

Sure...appraisals are 27.00 an hour with a two hour minimum. Do you want to pay via paypal?

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
babydumplin

Posted: 2003-11-29 08:54 am   Permalink

Thanks for the offer Basement Kahuna but I'll have to pass - the picture may not even be worth the lst hr. minimum. Sorry if readers think I want an appraisal - I simply don't know if I have trash or treasure. My lst instinct was to list on auction but the collector was so nice to offer me info & expressed an interest in having the piece for their collection. I thought the polite thing to do would be to make a reasonable offer. Maybe I should just put the ball in her court and tell her to make me an offer.

I actually like the fun and anticipation of a good auction anyway. So if her offer isn't tempting I'll just go ahead and list it.

View Profile of babydumplin Send a personal message to babydumplin      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
babydumplin

Posted: 2003-11-29 08:56 am   Permalink

Maybe what I should have asked in my lst post is "do you think this is good Ebay potential?"

SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-29 2:35 pm   Permalink

Baby, I'm not seeing anything from the link and don't find anything except 21 pics from your photo album on Photobucket. Can you double check the link?

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
babydumplin

Posted: 2003-11-29 4:43 pm   Permalink

Ok Sugar - I've put the pictures back and you should be able to view them now. Thanks.

emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-29 5:15 pm   Permalink

I wold hang this puppy prominently in my restaurant - if I owned a restaurant. 'Swonderful!

em.

View Profile of emspace Send a personal message to emspace      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-29 5:49 pm   Permalink

Why would you want to get rid of such a fine piece of Hawaiiana? Do you like Hawaiiana or are you here to advertise the piece? I'll give ya a buck fifty for it.

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
babydumplin

Posted: 2003-11-29 6:17 pm   Permalink

Nope, not here for an appraisal or advertisement. Just for opinions as to whether it's a common piece or a good Hawaiiana collectible.

Personally, I think she's beautiful but I don't collect and don't have a tiki room, if I did I'd be keeping her. If I knew about Hawaiiana I wouldn't have needed opinions but I've tried researching on my own and just couldn't find many velvets other than Leeteg or Hawaiian scenes.

I was hoping some of you tiki collectors might enjoy seeing her and in turn offer me your more educated history on these pieces and their desirable quality.

maikainagirl

Posted: 2003-11-29 6:23 pm   Permalink

Baby, Darling..

An item such as this is more apt to be valued by what someone is willing to pay for it then a set "book price", so it's really subjective. It has merit with an attractive theme, nice frame, signature, etc.

At auction you could expect a wide range of prices depending on who happened to be shopping at that time. It's just one of those things that could sell for $45 or $145 (for example). eBay auctions are not known for consistency.

The painting is nice and would definitely make many a tiki collector happy to own, but it isn't the Holy Grail of Polynesia, so don't worry about making a mistake and selling it too cheaply.

I recommend asking her what she thinks is a fair price. Then go from there. Leave another post with the offer, counter-offer or list it on ebay and just let it roll.

If all else fails, I'll give you $3.50 for it.

View Profile of maikainagirl Send a personal message to maikainagirl  Email maikainagirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SugarCaddyDaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-29 10:17 pm   Permalink

Very nice painting! Do the water stains on the back go all the way through the painting itself on the front? In the picture I can see a few visible vertical lines and what looks to be some "bubbling" on the bottom right hand side. Is it just the photo or on the actual painting?

View Profile of SugarCaddyDaddy Send a personal message to SugarCaddyDaddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-30 2:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:
If all else fails, I'll give you $3.50 for it.

$3.75

www.flounderart.com

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-30 4:14 pm   Permalink

If I were you, I'd put it up on ebay and if your buyer really wants it, then you'll see what its really worth to them.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-30 8:03 pm   Permalink

I think it's really cool. Something about her cheezy smile that makes the picture! Sadly, I'm not buying right now, just selling stuff... unless the price is right!

(Do I hear Bob Barker saying come on down?)

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
McDougall
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-01 7:48 pm   Permalink

Her smile is a bit "Florida Tiki" like. I'd take the offer.

View Profile of McDougall Send a personal message to McDougall  Email McDougall Goto the website of McDougall     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation