Tiki Central Forums General Tiki James Michener
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
James Michener
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-31 01:48 am   Permalink

Is James Michener the forgotten man of Tiki? It just struck me that Michener
is hardly mentioned at all on Tiki Central despite being one of the key people
responsible for conveying the exotic Pacific lifestyle to the wider world.
There's a chapter devoted to him in 'The Book', but there is little discussion
of his works outside that. Has anyone read his stuff? Seen the adaptations?

I'm no expert, as I've only read Hawaii, a copy of which was kindly given to
me by Tiki Chris. There's a copy of Tales of the South Pacific sitting unread
on my shelf, and a copy of James Michener's Hawaii album in my collection,
but that's it.

Anyone more familiar with his works? Does he deserve to be placed with
the Greats of Tiki? Or have too many people been scarred for life by watching
South Pacific being performed by their local drama group?

Trader Woody

[ This Message was edited by: Trader Woody on 2002-07-31 01:48 ]

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kongtiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-07-31 07:47 am   Permalink

"Rascals in Paradise" by Michener and A. Grove Day is also a pleasant accounting of white men let loose in the South Pacific...worth a read if you haven't...

View Profile of kongtiki Send a personal message to kongtiki  Goto the website of kongtiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-07-31 11:09 am   Permalink

We rented the video "South Pacific" last year and thought it was great, so we bought the DVD. Then I read "Tales of the South Pacific" and, of course, thought it was better than the movie musical. I recommend the book highly because a) it is very well written, B)it contains wonderful descriptions of American GI's and nurses discovering Polynesia in the 1940's, and C) it was a huge best-selling book and helped spark the tiki craze. (See Sven's video for an interview with the author). I have two other books of his called "Return to Paradise" and "Rascal's in Paradise", which I have yet to read. All three books are commonly available in thrift stores and second-hand book shops.

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2002-07-31 2:35 pm   Permalink

I read Hawaii before I went to the islands and enjoyed it. Michener really did his research before writing a book. It takes a while to read such a long novel but it's worth it.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-01 2:48 pm   Permalink

"Hawaii" is an incredible book! I took a long time to read it too, but I think I might have stretched the time b/c I just didn't want the book to end!

My wife had a similar experience reading "Iberia" in which Michener accounts his travels in Iberia (duh) during the late 50s (& early 60s?).

"Tales from the South Pacific" is brilliant, especially considering it was his first book! I'm sure it had a significant impact/influence on tiki culture.

WARNING: BY NO MEANS SHOULD ANY OF YOU EVER WATCH THE FILM ADAPTATION OF "HAWAII" STARRING JULIE ANDREWS!!! It sucks real bad, is nothing like the book, & focuses soley on probably the most miserable part of the 'story of Hawaii' (when the New England missionaries came). Fortunately, I read the book first b/c if I had seen the movie first I probably would have done my damnedest to stay as far away from anything associated w/ Michener (who actually had nothing to do w/ the film adaptation).

Tiki Chris

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Chris on 2002-08-01 14:50 ]

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-01 3:22 pm   Permalink

"Hawaii" the soundtrack blows too. Michener & Martin Denny should have been a marriage made in Tiki heaven, but it's oddly forgettable stuff.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-01 7:27 pm   Permalink

The thing about James Michener I like best is that he was a genuinely NICE GUY, even after he made tons of money. He gave huge chunks of it to charity (BEYOND tax write offs) and kept on working, writing very complex human stories.
His writing was not accepted as "literature", but it carries the humane spirit, the classic American virtues of fairness and basic human values in all races that have been ridiculed by all us punks...

I swear, I am not turning conservative as I am getting older! I just LIKE those kinda guys.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kilikopela
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-08-01 8:08 pm   Permalink

Hey Tiki Chris,

Do you think the movie "Hawaii" is worth watching if, say... you had a fetish for Julie Andrews? Is she in a grass skirt in this movie? Does she sway her hips seductively? Does she....

Uh, I better stop here.

View Profile of Kilikopela Send a personal message to Kilikopela  Email Kilikopela     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-08-02 01:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2002-08-01 20:08, Kilikopela wrote:

Do you think the movie "Hawaii" is worth watching if, say... you had a fetish for Julie Andrews?

I've always considered Ms. Andrews to be a bit of hottie (in a prudish sort of way) but would still advise fellow admirers to steer clear of "Hawaii". Stick w/ one of her classics that's sure to get your blood pumpin' - "Mary Poppins!"

Just a Spoon Full of Sugar,
Tiki Chris

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Chris on 2002-08-02 01:46 ]

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SlovakTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-11-07 08:52 am   Permalink

I have just started to read "Tales of the South Pacific" by Michener(thanks to it's mention in the Book by Mr. Kirsten)and it is quite an excellent book.Subsequently I got ahold of a copy of the restored version of the film "Hawaii" from 1966(starring the hottie Julie Andrews and the immensely talented Max von Sydow).I must say that my girlfriend and I enjoyed the film immensely and thought it was a work of high quality.
I particularly enjoyed the scenes of the naked wahinis swimming out to the boats, etc. Hee hee.

View Profile of SlovakTiki Send a personal message to SlovakTiki  Email SlovakTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2002-11-07 11:30 am   Permalink

I would suggest reading the book "Hawaii" as the movie is a very condensed version of the book (as with most movies made from a book, especially such a long book). I have yet to read "Tales ..." but I am looking forward to reading it.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chongolio
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-07 4:42 pm   Permalink

Michner is one of my favorite authors. I have and read Hawaii, Mexico, Rascals in paradise, and Carribean. I recommend all of them. Rascals is my favorite, but it a unflinching account of mankinds brutality and mischieviousness. I enjoy learning about history and different cultures while being entertained by a good story.
Mexico is pretty good too. Another good book that I have is "the Far Lands" by James Norman Hall. It takes place in polynesia and has everything we love in it:
Tiki gods, natives, human sacrafice, wahines, I think the only thing missing is a fiery volcano and rum drinks. Heck, I may read it again now that I think of it.
Chongolio

Chongolio.com
Stoke & Flow
Facebook

View Profile of Chongolio Send a personal message to Chongolio  Email Chongolio Goto the website of Chongolio     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
swizzledd
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-11-09 3:27 pm   Permalink

Jim was a great writer, but I suppose I am a little prejudiced. I lived not far from his home in Bucks County, PA. He was an all-round great guy. I remember the post-prom parties that were held at his neighbor, Pearl Buck's huge farm. His books, although lengthy, are very interesting. I would also recommend the movie, HAWAII. Another neighbor and close friend was Richard Rodgers, who had a summer home there. In his later years, he lived on the campus of Eckerd College in St. Petersburg where he lectured and was well liked.

View Profile of swizzledd Send a personal message to swizzledd  Email swizzledd Goto the website of swizzledd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SlovakTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2002-11-10 10:40 am   Permalink

I appreciate the tips and comments on Michener.He sounds like a very interesting fellow to say the least. I read somewhere on the web that he was treated like a veritable king whenever he ventured to Hawaii.
I have to tell you that "Tales from the South Pacific" is such an enthralling book that I've actually had to put off drinking so that I can concentrate on reading it!

View Profile of SlovakTiki Send a personal message to SlovakTiki  Email SlovakTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2002-11-10 12:45 pm   Permalink

if you like TALES OF THE SOUTH PACIFIC then you're gonna love HAWAII!

i'm reading michener's IBERIA right now. it's brilliant. it's a collection of non-fiction reflections from his travels through spain during the sixties. it's amazing how many of his insights & observances seem to still hold true today - but also just how much spain (particularly post-franco!) & the world have changed since then.

& i love the way he describes great works of art, architecture, TAPAS!

if you can find a copy (we got ours at a flea market in bilbao - never seen another copy) it's a very worthwhile read b/c you get a more unfiltered version of what this genius was like, what excited him, what HE did on vacation, what he read, etc.

enjoy,
tiki chris

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Chris on 2002-11-10 12:46 ]

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation