FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Whaddaya call those Big Round Wicker Chairs?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Whaddaya call those Big Round Wicker Chairs?
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-01 3:12 pm   Permalink

KG sed,
"I always call them queen or peacock chairs. I always thought a king chair was a recliner with a tv remote control on the arm rest"

Funny KG! you forgot the back massage thing on the King chair with the automatic MaiTai maker button. I'm no king but I'll take one if Chiki can make one to go with that awesome tiki desk.

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-01 3:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-12-01 15:12, GECKO wrote:
I'm no king

WHAT?????????
You are the uncontested King O' Swoon!!!!

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-01 4:23 pm   Permalink

shhhh! dats jus between me and you pj!

although I can't wait to see my wahines on da mainland again! you're all beautiful! makes da savage beast(as Sven calls us) in me go....BOING!

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-01 4:46 pm   Permalink

sorry Traitor Vic,

back to the chair. has anyone ever purchased one of these out of there local goodwill? if so, how much do they go for if you don't mind posting? I see them here for $70 which pisses me off! but they are becoming popular once again.

if you have a old beat up papasan chair like the wun braddah Al has posted, DON'T THROW IT AWAY!! take the bottom rattan swivel peice apart and insert a shelf into the middle of the circle and you will have a beautiful round rattan shelf that you see at Aloha Cruz's shop for $350. I'll post a pic of one made out of the bottom when i get a chance ya.

paranoid123
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-01 5:17 pm   Permalink

Going back to papasans, where would be a good source to get new cushions for these things? I saw a few and they are for the most part in the $70 range. Sheesh! Is there a place for better prices?

View Profile of paranoid123 Send a personal message to paranoid123      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-02 12:00 pm   Permalink

Gecko,
I paid $50 for two chairs and two small tables. That was a year or so ago.
KG

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-04 8:05 pm   Permalink

Paranoid123,
Have you checked Cost Plus World Market for the papasan chair cushions? I know they sell aloha print ones there, but I never checked the price. I just recovered our old papasan cushion the other day (it was leopard)and it looks really nice. I used a brown, black & white tapa print barkcloth. It really looks so much more polynesian with the tapa print and it was really pretty easy. I'd post a pic, but Al wants a new digital camera for Christmas, and we are without until Santa delivers. Aloha, Shell in the Pacific

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unkle John
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-05 12:23 pm   Permalink

I saw that Garden Ridge had papasan chairs on sale for $65 or so. They might have cusions. I picked up the base to one at a thrift store, seeing that they either broke or sold the "cup". It was there the day before. Oh well, now I have a new round ratan shelf.

View Profile of Unkle John Send a personal message to Unkle John  Email Unkle John Goto the website of Unkle John     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-30 11:11 am   Permalink

I found a smaller scale Peacock Chair today at a thrift store. It's in excellent condition and they're asking $50. I've been looking for one for a while, but the price seems a bit stiff (considering I found my hanging rattan chair for $4.50)

What would you see as a fair price?

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-30 11:40 am   Permalink

Right now there are three Peacock chairs at my favorite lunchtime tiki hunt spot, Value Village. They range between $30 and $70CDN depending on the size. Two are little ones, perfect for the up and coming tiki generation. They could be in better shape, although I haven't had a really close look. I'd pay up to $50 US for a big one in good condition. If I had the space that is.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-12 10:13 am   Permalink

Just picked one of these up at the local antique store... was priced $30, then marked down to $20... then the store was having a sale so they took an additional 20% off... Got it for $16...

The armrests travel down to the base for support and need fixing... also the reed work on the bottom needs work... I went out and bought seagrass yesterday and 40 feet of cane... a total of $14, so almost the cost of the chair to repair it... but still coming in cheaper than what you ladies and gents are reporting for prices... I'll try and post pics...

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-22 8:33 pm   Permalink

Got this beauty picked out for the future home bar:

This was one of the nicest specimens I've seen in any thrift store. I think it was worth the $60 I paid.

Now I may be going out on a limb here, but I think of the peacock chair as one of the unsung mainstays of the tiki bar. It seems all the classic tiki restaurants of ages past had a few of these chairs kickin' aroun'.

For me, at least, it's almost as essential as a pufferfish lamp or tapa cloth. How do you feel about that? Discuss!

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GatorRob
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-23 3:56 pm   Permalink

I totally agree. It adds a touch of elegance to a tiki bar. That's a beaut' you found. Nice find!

View Profile of GatorRob Send a personal message to GatorRob      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-23 4:14 pm   Permalink

yes, I'd say it's a quintessential tiki bar item. great find!

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-23 6:37 pm   Permalink

I call 'em cheesy.

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation