FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Whaddaya call those Big Round Wicker Chairs?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Whaddaya call those Big Round Wicker Chairs?
KreepyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-06 11:26 pm   Permalink

I have a question for the 'Ohana re. peacock chairs...

I'd love to find one of these babies for "Paradise Cove" (my home lounge):

This one was picked by a Florida TCer for an incredible $25.00 and is EXACTLY the size and style I'm looking for. Or something close to it, anyway.

I live in L.A. and I've looked around for a while, but no luck. That is, until I spotted a recent posting on Craig's List. The only problem was the chair turned out to be GINORMOUS, with a whopping width of 51"!

So, not only will that NOT fit in my little Suzuki hatch-back (it's actually wider than my CAR!), but it won't fit in the limited space of my lounge either.

What I really need, therefore, is a peacock chair with a maximum width of no more than 30" inches or so.

Any ideas out there re. where I might specifically look for such an item here in the L.A. area for a reasonable price (i.e., no more than $125.00 or so)? For instance, do you know of any big thrift stores that specialize in furniture?

There IS a Florida-based company I came across called Rattan Shack which charges about what I want to spend for the chair itself, then an extra $25.00 for a cushion with custom fabric of my choice (all very reasonable), and just an additional $50.00 for shipping. So, about $200.00 for everything, AND the dimensions are also just about perfect for the limited space of my lounge.

BUT, naturally, if I could find a similar chair -- USED -- for a price a bit closer to the $25.00 paid by that lucky TCer, I'd be a happy camper indeed!

And, finally, if any of you L.A. area based TCers happen to have one of those (not gigantic) chairs lying around which you'd like to get rid of, PLEASE let me know!

Cheers and Mahalos!

View Profile of KreepyTiki Send a personal message to KreepyTiki  Email KreepyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KreepyTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-25 01:40 am   Permalink

Thanks to a great tip from Mr. Noname, I managed to snag this beauty for my Paradise Cove Tiki Lounge at a Salvation Army while I was in San Diego for Oasis!

And guess how much I paid???

Would you believe 13 BUCKS?! (It was on SALE that morning for HALF OFF!)

Still not QUITE as ornate as the one that TCer in Florida managed to pick up for 25 smackers, but, hey -- it's nice ENOUGH!

I guess THIS time "13" was my LUCKY number, eh?

Thanks again, Eric!

Cheers & Mahalo

[ This Message was edited by: KreepyTiki 2008-08-25 01:44 ]

View Profile of KreepyTiki Send a personal message to KreepyTiki  Email KreepyTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tom
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2008-08-25 09:44 am   Permalink

Looks good in your Tiki Room! The Heather Watts painting and everything else ties together perfectly.

View Profile of Trader Tom Send a personal message to Trader Tom  Email Trader Tom Goto the website of Trader Tom     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
only1pinuchi

Posted: 2009-03-03 06:07 am   Permalink

The round as opposed to Fan back chair is called Papason

View Profile of only1pinuchi Send a personal message to only1pinuchi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2009-03-04 11:29 am   Permalink

I call them Tura Satana chairs!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-04 10:31 pm   Permalink

This is funny, I just saw the movie Faster Pussycat, Kill Kill. She was great in it.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-04 11:06 pm   Permalink

The Sarah Palin Seventies Alaskan High School Prom chair?

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kahalakruzer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-03-06 6:36 pm   Permalink

Here's two of the peacock chairs that I've got.

My girlfriend found this one for me at a thrift store by my house

And after telling myself not to buy anymore peacock chairs, I found this one on craigslist last night for $30!
I've got another chair that I posted a while back. Also, with my new HUGE edition I've got one more small peacock chair that I need to get rid of (I live in an apartment!). It looks to be the same as the one the Kreepytiki posted, and it's FREE to anyone who can come by and pick it up. PM me if you're interested.

View Profile of kahalakruzer Send a personal message to kahalakruzer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigik

Posted: 2009-06-17 4:09 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-08-23 18:37, Tiki Matt wrote:
I call 'em cheesy.

That settles it, then. DEFINATELY tiki. <g,d &r>

View Profile of tikigik Send a personal message to tikigik  Goto the website of tikigik ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-17 4:49 pm   Permalink

A Trader Vic's smoking chair?

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tahitiki

Posted: 2009-06-17 9:45 pm   Permalink

in france they called it the Emmanuelle Chair I guess

[ This Message was edited by: Tahitiki 2009-06-17 21:48 ]

View Profile of Tahitiki Send a personal message to Tahitiki  Email Tahitiki Goto the website of Tahitiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIVILLE
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-06-18 10:43 am   Permalink

kindling?.....the small room swallower!?

View Profile of TIKIVILLE Send a personal message to TIKIVILLE  Email TIKIVILLE     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy

Posted: 2009-09-17 6:16 pm   Permalink

I've been seeing them making a comeback lately when a photographer wants to go for a retro 60's or 70's look.

Here's Sienna Miller on this month's cover of British GQ:

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LoungeShark
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-09-17 8:54 pm   Permalink

I picked one up a couple weeks ago at a garage sale for a whooping $2.00. HOWEVER, I'd be willing to pay like $25 if Sienna came with it.

View Profile of LoungeShark Send a personal message to LoungeShark      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy

Posted: 2010-01-03 10:22 pm   Permalink

The Queen or Peacock Chair might be the one of the oldest pieces of tropicalia that eventually became a staple for the tiki bar. Here's one being used at the "House Without A Key" in Honolulu back in 1928.

The guy in the middle looks like Gecko's great-grandpappy if you ask me.

[ This Message was edited by: Sabu The Coconut Boy 2010-01-03 22:46 ]

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation