[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving A Tiki Carver's Studio Space
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
A Tiki Carver's Studio Space
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-30 11:20 pm   Permalink

Since we are sharing finished product and methodology, how about a thread for the nursery where these tikis are born? Carvers, if you could, please share some insight into your workspace, organization skills and wood storage...

I'll start us off... My wahine and I rent in an older duplex but I'm glad for the basement space I have to work in, in the summer I work back in the garage and driveway...

My small but cozy workspace...

Tool layout on a quick little shelf I put up...

Raw materials: No palms in this northern carver's stash, pine, birch, linden, basswood and whatever else I can get my mits on...

Long wood pile... including a few straight 12 foot pines that are going to become poles like the one's in Trader Vics...

Thicker wood pile and some "in progress" tikis...

Sanding booth for finishing...

Home sweet home!

[ This Message was edited by: Lake Surfer on 2003-12-01 01:12 ]

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-01 12:01 pm   Permalink

great space! my space sucks! I work in my drive way. As soon as I get a house then I'll get a studio. Do you have heat? must be cold during the winter! HO! wish i had da large logs you got layin around. da bigga da mo betta!

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-01 1:52 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-12-01 12:01, GECKO wrote:
great space! my space sucks! I work in my drive way. As soon as I get a house then I'll get a studio. Do you have heat? must be cold during the winter! HO! wish i had da large logs you got layin around. da bigga da mo betta!

I wish I could work in your drive way.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-01 2:01 pm   Permalink

Good idea, Lake! I'll put some shots of "The Volcano" up soon(In which all my things tiki are forged)...

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-01 7:54 pm   Permalink

Gecko... that little grey thing under the Rip Curl poster is my little electric heater... it adds a little warmth in the cold basement... but ya just gotta swing that hammer faster to stay warm!

I gotta go with freddie on his comment... I would kill to have your driveway to carve in... I'll trade you for my cold basement!

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-01 10:42 pm   Permalink

freddiefreelance, you are FUNNY!

Why would you want to look at my view of two waterfalls with green lush jungle with mist hovering over the mountains and the sounds of exotic birds doing anoying bird calls all day sipping on tropical drinks while you carve tiki's in a pair of shorts and slippahz?? I hate waterfalls!

I would rather be in da lakes freezin basement with that mother of all heaters.....ahhhhh paradise.

ok, I guess I shouldn't complain.
You've seen my drive way enough so heres a couple pics of a friends work shop up da street. He works with foam. those are some 12ft tikis that he rents out. He's made better

pics around my exotic jungle I call home

that is my work shop view.

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-01 11:06 pm   Permalink

How can you guy's work in such "Clean" studios??? Actually, I swept a few weeks ago. Baby steps! Baby steps!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-01 11:57 pm   Permalink

Clean? What's that mean? Here's a few snaps of the volcano...the chisel caddy...the 7 1/2 foot pole for Hale Tiki (same theme as the little guys), the rickety old furniture, the weapon blanks about to become deadly instruments...Hey, do you see that pottery Chinese divider on the chair? (looks like the old Trader Vic's green dividers but russett orange) Anybody know where how or where I can recast these?

[ This Message was edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-12-01 23:58 ]

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-02 12:36 am   Permalink

Very nice Gecko... inspiration all around you, and a rich history to soak in!

BK... I'm small time compared to your estate there... the pole looks great so far!

FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-02 08:11 am   Permalink

Lake surfer, nice! I love the stand you use to hold the soon to be tikis. I carved mine sitting in my back yard, my back still hurts!

Gecko, that compound looks awesome, what a cool place, and the scenery, man the scenery! Maybe I'll be fortunate enough to visit some day.

Basement, damn!

www.flounderart.com

[ This Message was edited by: FLOUNDERart on 2003-12-02 09:26 ]

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-02 09:47 am   Permalink

I'd still rather have Gecko's joint....

Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-02 11:26 pm   Permalink

Gecko, BK, you'll like these! This was today's pickup in the 'ol 4 door Accord... my arborist friend brought down three 40 foot blue spruce yesterday...

I'm headed back to the country club where he works tomorrow morning to get most of the rest... they'll sit in the garage until I can get to them and debark... lotsa work ahead of me but I'm stocking up for the long cold winter...

tikitony, you should see the Honda with these logs hanging out as I go down the road... poor car...

[ This Message was edited by: Lake Surfer on 2003-12-02 23:29 ]

Geeky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-04 09:59 am   Permalink

Killer.

Those are all just killer.

What enviable skills!

You guys should all open Tiki Central Forum Shops. I bet the riff raff here would keep your sales brisk!

View Profile of Geeky Tiki Send a personal message to Geeky Tiki  Email Geeky Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-07 7:04 pm   Permalink

My studio.
In the background near the palm trees you'll see where I've been digging in the dirt. (It's what I do best) I'm building a pond there. <pours a Trader Vic's Mai Tai cocktail straight out of the bottle> I'm considering posting pics of the construction and evolution of....the next Tiki Jungle Primordial Bog.....why do I love the words primordial bog? oooohh! Awwwww! It's just sooo primitive!

[ This Message was edited by: jungletrader on 2003-12-07 19:05 ]

[ This Message was edited by: jungletrader on 2003-12-07 19:06 ]

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitony
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2003-12-07 8:35 pm   Permalink

you musta been way lOw riding in that hOnda Lake. Jungle trader, whats the deal, I thought you'd have a freakin jungle for a back yard? just joking man.

Live like a Beachcomber!
www.TikiTony.com www.facebook.com/tikitonybeachcomber

View Profile of tikitony Send a personal message to tikitony  Email tikitony Goto the website of tikitony     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation