FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » A Tiki Carver's Studio Space
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
A Tiki Carver's Studio Space
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-12 2:54 pm   Permalink

What an inspirational place! Tikis EVERYWHERE!
I love the "fallen" tiki in the third to last picture. Cool place...so when's the party did you say?

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-16 7:15 pm   Permalink

Here are most of the tools I use for my carving. Ofcourse there are some in drawers that you cant see here but this is basically it.

There is another thread about Carvers spaces I'll find and bump up front. This should really be in there.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki5-0
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-17 09:51 am   Permalink

you guys are all so lucky to have such great work spaces. i live in a 1 bed room condo, so all i have is a sheet on the living room floor by the sliding glass door or the small balcony when it's light enough outside to work. someday i will have a great place like the ones one here. you all have given me inspiration for the future and something to look foward to.

View Profile of tiki5-0 Send a personal message to tiki5-0  Email tiki5-0 Goto the website of tiki5-0     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
chisel slinger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-17 10:06 am   Permalink

go man go! carve in your room, at a friends house, on a beach, by a lake, carve carve carve, for goodness sake.

View Profile of chisel slinger Send a personal message to chisel slinger  Email chisel slinger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Polynesiac
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-18 10:18 pm   Permalink

Yeah, tiki 5-0, I work until the sun sets. I have no space inside to carve, just do it with what you got!

OMG! I'm on Instagram!

View Profile of Polynesiac Send a personal message to Polynesiac  Email Polynesiac Goto the website of Polynesiac     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-16 2:11 pm   Permalink

Here’s my So Cal carving space in Rancho Santa Margarita. My garage is a poster child for one of those self-storage commercials, so I do all of my carving in the back yard. Weather pretty much always permits around here.

This is where I do my carving. The canopy helps a lot in the summer.

It’s hard to see, but there’s a terrace wall with a built-in seat in the corner there. I’m planning on building a 4-post open carving hut with a thatched roof there.

I’ve got a few tikis hanging around. Not nearly enough, though…

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"Ah, good taste! What a dreadful thing! Taste is the enemy of creativeness."
-Pablo Picasso

[ This Message was edited by: Aaron's Akua on 2004-09-16 14:13 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Aaron's Akua on 2004-09-16 14:14 ]

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-16 2:25 pm   Permalink

Looks good Aaron. Can't wait to see your thatched roof carving hut.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-18 09:07 am   Permalink

Here's an aerial view of my carving spot. It's too small to call a space! All I use is this thing that was being thrown out at work. It is a wooden pallet which is sort of built up to form an open sided shipping crate. I guess it is sort of like a Work mate bench but it was FREE! Anyway, it has worked fine so far. I will probably relocate it to the garage for winter. In the photo you can see my trusty assistant who is removing bark from a pine log.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-18 9:00 pm   Permalink

I've been doing all of my work sitting on the concrete hunched over my carving and sometimes it's kind of hard to straighten up if ya know what I mean. I'd love to come up with a nice rig to hold the logs at a comfortable position for carving. I'm too old for this! Has anyone come up with a nice carving rig that's solid enough for chiseling, adjustable, and fairly ergonomic? (That looks cool, 8 ft., but it's hard to see how it's built) I can't sue myself for worker's comp if I ruin my back! It sucks getting old...(just turned 40 this year, and full of self pity ).

A-A

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

-Pablo Picasso

[ This Message was edited by: Aaron's Akua on 2004-09-18 21:02 ]

View Profile of Aaron's Akua Send a personal message to Aaron's Akua      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
8FT Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-18 11:39 pm   Permalink

Calm down now Aaron. 40 isn't fatal. Just don't act your age and you'll be fine. Now about the working platform. I suggest you simply build one for yourself. If you can do drafting and drawings, you can surely design yourself something simple and portable. Get some scrap lumber and get it done. Your back will thank you. Otherwise we will change your user name to Hunchback tiki.

View Profile of 8FT Tiki Send a personal message to 8FT Tiki  Email 8FT Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-19 10:50 pm   Permalink

Carving + back pain + martini + ibuprofen = whining 40 year old carver. I'm definitely gonna build something to get my butt off the ground. But that's a different post altogether...

Now back to "A Tiki Carver's Space".

Who's next???

A-A aka Hunchback Tiki

-Pablo Picasso

Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-19 11:12 pm   Permalink

When I had my shop unter the tiki Hut, I used the bottom of 2 light poles that were 20 inches wiide and cut to3 feet tall. I cut a wide fairly shallow v into the top of each one and for large logs used both and for short logs just one would do. Just lay your piece into the V and work away.I also had V's cut into the sides for ues with thick logs. Worked well for me.

Aaron's Akua
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-20 9:27 pm   Permalink

Whenever I try to complicate things, Ben comes up with simple solution. I'm gonna run over to the local firewood lot, pick up a couple logs & saw some "V's" in 'em. Done! These will fit in real nice in that open carving hut, whenever I get around to it.

-Pablo Picasso

Capt'n Skully
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-28 10:01 pm   Permalink

Digging for buried treasure...

View Profile of Capt'n Skully Send a personal message to Capt'n Skully  Email Capt'n Skully     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-29 09:42 am   Permalink

Love the old threads... History lies within...

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation