FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki 1st Ebay Mug Broken in Shipping
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
1st Ebay Mug Broken in Shipping
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2004-04-16 12:29 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-16 11:35, MachTiki wrote:

the seller smoked about 3 packs of cigarettes and exhaled every one of them directly into the box before sealing it.

That'll teach ya to buy Selma and Patty Bouvier

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-16 12:41 pm   Permalink

On 2004-04-16 12:29, atomictonytiki wrote:
Quote:

That'll teach ya to buy Selma and Patty Bouvier

atomictonytiki,

NO KIDDING! I can hear their raspy voices now, "Hehe, got ourselves a live one here. Quick, toss in the paper from the bottom of the bird cage and let's charge extra for it. Hehe".

[ This Message was edited by: MachTiki on 2004-04-16 12:42 ]

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
croe67
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-16 3:12 pm   Permalink

Must be the season for broken mugs
I've been buying 'em off of ebay for a good 2 years & my very first broken one showed up last week. Not packed all that well, though not as poorly as the 2 above & the box was smashed in. Seller shipped it fedex & was insured for the full value, including shipping ($33). Fedex approved my claim & they say the check is in the mail, so all is good - except, now I have to wait to see that type of mug up on ebay again when it's not going for too high a price.....patience, patience.

View Profile of croe67 Send a personal message to croe67  Email croe67     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kanaloa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-04-16 5:25 pm   Permalink

Well maybe the gods are against me or its my wife. I just started collecting and out of the 30 or so orders I have placed I have had 4 come in broken due to packaging issues. Luckly all sellers either refunded money or replaced the mugs.

I now make a note to request that no newspaper be used and that multiple items are packed good enough that they will not touch.

Now, if I can only learn what is worth $$$ and what isn't ...

View Profile of Kanaloa Send a personal message to Kanaloa  Email Kanaloa Goto the website of Kanaloa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-16 10:28 pm   Permalink

Kanaloa, just buy new mug sfrom the Farm and you will have no problems.

Cheers,

KT

View Profile of Kreaky Tiki Send a personal message to Kreaky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ekman spiral
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-04-19 7:42 pm   Permalink

arggh! i hate that.. i had a broken mr. bali hai recently arrive.. fortunately only the lid part was broken. i emailed the seller but he was uncooperative implying that i must have broken it because i didn't add the extra insurance!!!
i was able to glue the lid back and dab some paint on it.. and it looks fine. oh well! the risks we must sometimes take.

View Profile of ekman spiral Send a personal message to ekman spiral      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-19 10:01 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-16 15:12, croe67 wrote:
...Seller shipped it fedex & was insured for the full value, including shipping ($33). Fedex approved my claim & they say the check is in the mail, so all is good - except, now I have to wait to see that type of mug up on ebay again when it's not going for too high a price.....patience, patience.

When the company I work at use FED/EX to ship out stuff in boxes, we always add two sides of 1/8th inch plywood. Attached with black gaffers tape. Practically armour plate. Impractical for most, but it does indicate our past experiences with fed/ex.
TG
http://www.exotic-tiki-gardens.com

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-04-21 10:55 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-16 11:35, MachTiki wrote:
...So anyway, I get home to open the box, but before I even open it, I can smell smoke. What I mean to say is; this box smelled like the seller smoked about 3 packs of cigarettes and exhaled every one of them directly into the box before sealing it.

So here's my update;

SURPRISE! the seller hasn't responded yet. huh.

AND, the two mugs that did survive the trip are unusable. Seriously. The smoke smell has penetrated the suface of the mugs and I can't wash it out. I hand washed them twice and ran them through the dishwasher twice. No help. If I had wanted to drink from a Sneaky Tiki ash tray I would have bought one.

Looking like the seller might be getting a negative response.

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-11 10:31 am   Permalink

Happened to me today for the first time, due to poor packing. I'd specifically pointed out the dangers of packing mugs close together so the dimwit seller went with one layer of low-budget bubble wrap between the mugs. Cheers! Lucky just one of 4 broke....

They were cool little Tangaroa mugs that I'd not seen before, too. Bwah! Still, they only work out 4.50 a mug, even after the breakage, so the deal was decent enough.

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-11 10:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-04-21 10:55, MachTiki wrote:

AND, the two mugs that did survive the trip are unusable. Seriously. The smoke smell has penetrated the suface of the mugs and I can't wash it out. I hand washed them twice and ran them through the dishwasher twice. No help. If I had wanted to drink from a Sneaky Tiki ash tray I would have bought one.

I had this same problem with a thrifted mug. I'd be willing to bet that your mugs came from a bar shelf somewhere and have been exposed to smoke for years.

I used one of those orange cleaners with a light solvent base (do not use on cold painted mugs or at last test it first) and it took out the smell along with about a decade of nicotine stains.

I do not recall the brand I used but it was that "power of orange oil" type remover. I just used a rag and spent a while in front of the tube working on it. It wasn't the spray cleaner, but a remover for sticky stuff. Like Goof Off, but way less harsh.

You might try it before you give up.

Ahu

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the drunken hat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-11 11:04 am   Permalink

the only time i've had issues with broken mugs is when more than one is shipped at a time. since then i never buy mug lots unless the seller has a bunch of positive feedback.

if you ever buy more than one mug at a time get the insurance!

View Profile of the drunken hat Send a personal message to the drunken hat  Email the drunken hat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Koolau
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-04 11:41 pm   Permalink

I bumped up this old post because recently way too many of my mugs won on eBay have arrived with hairline cracks - I'd say 20%. The boxes are in good shape, so I suspect the mugs had the cracks before shipping. Super glue works its magic, and the mugs are fine for display, but it bugs me that the sellers don't acknowledge the cracks.

Anybody else having this problem? With the higher value of vintage mugs, are we starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel? Are all the good old mugs gone?

View Profile of Koolau Send a personal message to Koolau      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiLaLe
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-05 07:14 am   Permalink

Dude you got 'smoked'

View Profile of TikiLaLe Send a personal message to TikiLaLe  Email TikiLaLe     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tipsy McStagger
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-05 08:36 am   Permalink

..the problem is simply that you didn't buy your mugs from me!!! my shipping record is flawless!! no broken mugs from me, you dopes!!..here's why, and it's an old lesson from working in the design industry for so long...when you pack something, and seal the box, give it a few good shakes....if you hear the item moving inside, odds are it will arrive busted....the item must not move or make a sound once packed and it's good to go....-request the seller double-box on items that are rare or fragile....i also never get insurance on any item i buy for myself on ebay that's $25 or under..only the big ticket items.....as for smokey mugs, be careful when washing them -especially in a dish washer...i have seen old mugs crumble that way, especially the old green outrigger mugs....always wash gently by hand.

View Profile of Tipsy McStagger Send a personal message to Tipsy McStagger  Email Tipsy McStagger     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Kaimuki
Grand Member (4 years)  

Posted: 2006-12-06 12:11 pm   Permalink

The last two ebay tiki purchases were salt/pepper shakers and a mug. All were obviously cracked and glued. We should start a thread with all of the sellers names to stay away from.

www.tikikaimuki.com

View Profile of Tiki Kaimuki Send a personal message to Tiki Kaimuki  Email Tiki Kaimuki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation