[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki 1st Ebay Mug Broken in Shipping
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
1st Ebay Mug Broken in Shipping
teaKEY
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-06 12:14 pm   Permalink

well, what did the seller have to say about it?

View Profile of teaKEY Send a personal message to teaKEY  Email teaKEY Goto the website of teaKEY     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thistle
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-12-06 2:46 pm   Permalink

I know I'm going to jinx myself w/ this reply, but I've purchased about 15 mugs in the last 2 months off of Ebay, & they all been received in great shape-let me qualify that by saying alot of them were from Rum Demon (my favorites!),a few from Munktiki, both from the co. direct & secondary sellers. I think I will take a break, though, I feel like I'm pressing my luck!...Thistle

View Profile of thistle Send a personal message to thistle  Email thistle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
khan_tiki_mon
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-07 6:21 pm   Permalink

I've never received a broken mug in the mail. I did get one with a hairline crack. I don't know if it was cracked before or after it was packed. I didn't spend a lot on it and it's not rare so c'est la vie. Here's my dilemma. I thought of turning around and reselling it on e-bay. Of course I would clearly state that it was cracked. I really don't want to do that. I also don't want the mug in my collection but I don't want to throw it out either. A little super glue and it would be fine maybe for someone else to display in their own collection? Is there a forum for giving stuff away? I'll even pay for shipping. Any thoughts? I've bought stuff on e-bay and overall it's a great marketplace. Has anyone else got bonuses? I'm not talking big stuff. I bought a mug and the seller threw in a stirrer. I bought a mug and the seller threw in a postcard. Once I bought a mug and the seller, from Hawaii, threw in an old pennant. There are some nice people doing business out there.

View Profile of khan_tiki_mon Send a personal message to khan_tiki_mon  Email khan_tiki_mon Goto the website of khan_tiki_mon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dr.TikiMojo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-07 8:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-12-07 18:21, khan_tiki_mon wrote:
Is there a forum for giving stuff away? I'll even pay for shipping. Any thoughts? I've bought stuff on e-bay and overall it's a great marketplace. Has anyone else got bonuses? I'm not talking big stuff. I bought a mug and the seller threw in a stirrer. I bought a mug and the seller threw in a postcard. Once I bought a mug and the seller, from Hawaii, threw in an old pennant. There are some nice people doing business out there.

Aloha,

I wish I knew the name of the thread I had seen a week or two ago?
Someone else was telling about just such a place, (although I don't think it was on Tiki Central?), where you go and "give away" an item such as your cracked Tiki Mug or better yet, an out dated computer, old sofa, whatever. Then you can look on a link of things BEING GIVEN AWAY if you need some various item!
Very cool idea actually!
Why don't you be the TREND SETTER?
Start your own thread right here showing a picture of the mug and it's flaws and that you're giving it away......see if any one else joins in!

As to your other question.....YES, I have received "bonuses" from ebay sellers, swizzle sticks, postcards, multi-item discounts, back stories, it's been a good community for the most part, (I've also had a couple of problems out of over 200 plus transactions isn't bad).
I also like to Pay It Forward.
I too have given "bonuses" with some of the things I've sold on ebay and during the course of our regular sales!

View Profile of Dr.TikiMojo Send a personal message to Dr.TikiMojo  Email Dr.TikiMojo Goto the website of Dr.TikiMojo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigkahuna627
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-12-09 05:27 am   Permalink

I have bought and sold 100's of mugs on ebay, this is what I have learned -

Buyers -

Beware of less than 10 feedback sellers.
UPS = United Parcel Smashers.
When buying more than 3 mugs, tell your seller to make sure that the mugs can not touch eachother. Suggest they use the dividers from a wine box.
Always pay with paypal.
If you have not recieved your item 10 days after paying, file a paypal dispute, dont listen to your sellers excuses.
If your item arrives broken, email the seller, if you dont get the response you want (refund or replacement) in 24 hours, file the dispute.

Sellers -

It is your responsibility to get the item to the seller in the condition they bought it in. If they paid you for a whole mug, they must recieve a whole mug, if not, you must refund or replace.
Pack your items so that they can survive being dropped from chest high.
Save all postal reciepts for 60 days.

Insurance -

Insurance if for the sellers protection. The item is not the buyers until they receive it. If your seller wants you to file the claim, send the item back, you dont want to wait 3 months for the claim to be denied from the PO, and they always say it was caused by improper packaging.

Wild Bill's Tiki Hut
http://stores.ebay.com/Wild-Bills-Tiki-Hut

View Profile of bigkahuna627 Send a personal message to bigkahuna627  Email bigkahuna627 Goto the website of bigkahuna627     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiJosh
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-12-11 12:34 pm   Permalink

Not a recent story, but I bought a couple orchids mugs off Ebay a few years ago, the guy was selling 'em for $1 each. I bought like three. He says he'll combine shipping to save me money, and charged me like $20 for shipping. My fault for not asking about shipping first, I guess. Anyway, I give him the benefit of the doubt, and figure he must be doing the best packing job I'd ever seen, and it just cost him a lot to do it. Well the box shows up and it looks okay, but I can hear the glass rattle. I open it up and one mug is broken in three pieces, and the other two are chipped on the rims. The guy wrapped all the mugs together, like in a bundle using only a single piece of bubble wrap.
Then I look at the box again. It cost him less than $5 to send it. He charged me $15 for a lousy piece of bubble wrap? Of course I hadn't paid for insurance since everything was so cheap to begin with. So I send him an email to the tune of If you're going to charge $15 in handling, at least make sure you do a decent job of packing. Lots of back and forth emails with me pretty ticked off, and he eventually gave me a little money back and sent me another mug. It worked out to be some of the cheapest mugs I ever bought, but they're also in the worst condition, and they were way more of a headache than they're worth.
Ever since, I pretty much never buy off Ebay unless it's something I'm not likely to find locally.

View Profile of TikiJosh Send a personal message to TikiJosh      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Captaintony

Posted: 2012-07-02 08:53 am   Permalink

I just need to rant, and this seems like the best place, Apologies in advance for wasting anyone's time.

I just revived an ebay item, it should have been a perfect Hoffman Moai from the Kahiki. I got it for a steal at 17.45 With Shipping. the actual purchase price was...$5.99. Amazing. Unfortunately, It arrived in shards... brakes my heart. I've been looking for one of these for so long. And to get it at that price...(sigh) here are some sad pictures to go with my sad tale. As you can see, a single layer of newspaper doesn't seem to cut it for packing material.

View Profile of Captaintony Send a personal message to Captaintony      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijim
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-02 12:04 pm   Permalink

That's very sad! I've come to find out that sometimes the shipping company opens packages (inspection) and then when they repack and tape them up they are no longer packed properly, especially if there is no insurance....
It really sucks! I know some take pictures of the packed item and send them via email to the buyer and leave a note saying to "please check the package to see if it was 'tampered with' before opening"... otherwise somebodies screwed!
Hope all goes well for you!
Mahalo

View Profile of tikijim Send a personal message to tikijim  Goto the website of tikijim     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation