[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Remembering The First Time
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Remembering The First Time
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-05 08:53 am   Permalink

... drinking a polynesian cocktail (correct term?), you preverts

Question is, does one consider the actual drink, whether it fits the lexicon of BB Grog Log etc., or whether it was in an actual Tiki establishment?

I'm pretty sure my first-ever-in-the-whole-world polynesian cocktail was in a chinese restaurant called Magic Wok in Central West End, st. louis, during college. The drink was a Scorpion, coz it matches my zodiac sign It was fine for a n00b, and the jones for the fruit/rum drink was well established.

I'm pretty sure my first "in situ" drink was a Tiki Tumbler at the Honolulu. Nuff said, it rocked and it was the first time I got a tiki mug froma drink I actually bought.

take it away - although let's give condiments a rest - ?

j$

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-05 10:35 am   Permalink

Yeah, I was going to say " I remember my first time, it was cold, dark, and I was alone".

www.flounderart.com

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Andrew
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-12-05 10:42 am   Permalink

I remember drinking from my Dad's home made Mai Tai in a Tiki mug. I thought those mugs were so freakin' cool. Actually I still think they're pretty cool, only now they're in my house, which really is even cooler actually. I was maybe 4 or 5 and living in Guam. No wonder I ended up like this.
A

View Profile of Andrew Send a personal message to Andrew      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-05 2:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-12-05 10:42, Andrew wrote:
I remember drinking from my Dad's home made Mai Tai in a Tiki mug. I thought those mugs were so freakin' cool. Actually I still think they're pretty cool, only now they're in my house, which really is even cooler actually. I was maybe 4 or 5 and living in Guam. No wonder I ended up like this.
A

wish mah pop was as cool as yours Andrew!
i had a guamanian room mate who made adobo every now and then, you hip to that? he also fried SPAM every now and then...
mahalo, johnny $

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2003-12-05 2:34 pm   Permalink

I don't think this was my first tiki drink, but it was my first well prepared one. It was a Trader Vic's Rum Barrel in a quiet corner booth of the Washington DC Vic's in 1994. sigh...good times.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
teine_tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-12-05 2:48 pm   Permalink

Let me see...........

My first time was at a bar in Ala Moana (I think it was called Mai Tai's) on the island of Oahu. My friends called the drink a bomb-bu-cha-hana-hou-tikiblast. It was served in a mini kava bowls. I think I had about 7 bowls. Those were the good old days.....

View Profile of teine_tiki Send a personal message to teine_tiki  Email teine_tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Andrew
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-12-05 3:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-12-05 14:12, Johnny Dollar wrote:

wish mah pop was as cool as yours Andrew!
i had a guamanian room mate who made adobo every now and then, you hip to that? he also fried SPAM every now and then...
mahalo, johnny $

I haven't had adobo in ages. Last time was at Yakitori II (
http://www.yakitori2.com )in San Diego. It's not on their menu any more. I first had it at Yakitori, which was one of the few restaurants on Guam way back then. (In case anyone is wondering, the others were McDonald's, Shakey's Pizza, and some German place that I can't remember the name of.) I think adobo is a Philipino dish originally. SPAM was common and I know I've had it, but not in 20+ years.

As for Dads, well the Mai Tai thing was cool. Being gone for 9 months at a time on a sub, not so cool.
A

View Profile of Andrew Send a personal message to Andrew      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Klas
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-06 04:55 am   Permalink

Gun Club Punch at Trader Vic's, Emeryville 1996

www.thesurfites.com

View Profile of Klas Send a personal message to Klas  Goto the website of Klas     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-06 09:42 am   Permalink

Trader Vics, Washington, Scorpion

I don't remember the year because that's the year I started drinking to forget how many years had gone by.

I just made a batch of Scorps at the Lagoon Lounge™ (Alnshelly Limited) last night. Along with that fantastic raw fish salad, from the New Zealander's recipe found in the archives here.

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-06 8:52 pm   Permalink

Probably a mai tai somewhere, but my first real polynesian/ tiki drink was a Zombie at the Tonga Room about four years ago.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-06 10:00 pm   Permalink

I don't remember the year because that's the year I started drinking to forget how many years had gone by.
--------------------------------------------
ESP???

Li's Chineeze (when I was 17. 6'tall with a goatee). Zombie. Zombies!!! We used to go there cause they served under age'ers. Back in the good "Poly Pop Bartending" daze! Zombie contests. 6 was my max. Went there once with Overton Lloyd(p-funk).We got blasted! Way before the mini bus tiki crawl. Way, before. God I hate old age!!

[ This Message was edited by: revbambooben on 2003-12-06 22:05 ]

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Raffertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-07 07:17 am   Permalink

I remember my parents drinking them at restaurants, but they weren't sharing tastes because I was too young. I didn't see a tiki mug in a restaurant until about 25 years later when TGI Fridays had a tiki drink promo. I ordered a Mai Tai. Don't know what happened to the mug though.

View Profile of Raffertiki Send a personal message to Raffertiki  Email Raffertiki Goto the website of Raffertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-03 08:03 am   Permalink

bumpity bump for the new gals'n'guys

finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-03 08:20 am   Permalink

It would have to be the Tiki Love Bowl at a place called At Random in Milwaukee. It was shared with a beautiful brunette that came with me. Not much longer after that we got married.

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-03 08:36 am   Permalink

I'm gonna assume that Blue Hawaiis & Ti-D-Bols don't count, so I'll have to say a standard Hawaiian Hotel MaiTai in Waikiki in 2001.

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation