FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Remembering The First Time
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Remembering The First Time
cheekytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-03 08:46 am   Permalink

Cold Beer on the balcony at Trader Jacks, Avarua, Rarotonga straight after coming in from a surf the first day I got there.
From then on I knew the 'Polynesian' thing had worked its way under my skin and I still hadn't dicovered Tiki culture itself.

View Profile of cheekytiki Send a personal message to cheekytiki  Email cheekytiki Goto the website of cheekytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Scott McGerik
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-03 08:49 am   Permalink

Since I was first exposed to Tiki drinks only about a year ago, I find it easy to remember:

Kat and I stopped in at a new bar in town called Psycho Suzi's Motor Lounge. I was instantly impressed with the Tiki statues and fake palm trees because I had never seen anything like it before.

On the tables were a list of drink specials, the first being something called a Drunken Sailor, made with rum, rum, and more rum. It sounded really cool, so I ordered one. With my first sip, I was hooked! Darn Psycho Suzi! Now my living room is filling up with Tiki mugs and statues and I need a larger liquor cabinet!

The cool part is I finally have a place to go where I don't stick out like a sore thumb for wearing a Hawaiian shirt.

[ This Message was edited by: ScottMcGerik on 2005-03-03 08:50 ]

View Profile of Scott McGerik Send a personal message to Scott McGerik      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-03 09:00 am   Permalink

I guess this could qualify as my first time...my parents used to take my sister and I to a Chinese restaurant located behind the Tollgate Plaza shopping center - The place was called the "For Happiness Inn" and I remember being a little kid and staring at the drink menu with amazement! All the cool sounding drinks and the even cooler looking glasses they came in got me longing for my 21st birthday! I really think my desire to drink out of a tiki mug was what got me into the whole tiki thing!

My parents weren't much into strong rum drinks, especially on a Thursday night (that's when we often went out to eat) but I begged them to get one of the cool drinks! They finally relented and when the blue concotion was served to the table in a tiki mug I had the first sip.

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrsmiley
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-03-03 10:03 am   Permalink

My first time was at The Lanai in San Mateo, CA. It was about two weeks before it closed down. I assume I had a Sidewinders Fang (their signature drink) but I may have had a Zombie (like the name). I thought the place was incredible-I was floored! Unfortunately, I was barely 21 and a very cheap SOB and thought spending so much at bars just to drink was a waist of money, when one could spend less at their own home. I didn;t look at the big picture. In this case, the Ambience! I never went back. About a month or so later, I read they were having an auction, but I had to work that day and didn't have the two weeks notice that my company demanded. My , how my life may have changed if I started my Tiki collection (with the exception of the cheap one I got in Tahiti in 1973) back then!!! No warehouse could hold me!!!!

View Profile of mrsmiley Send a personal message to mrsmiley  Email mrsmiley Goto the website of mrsmiley     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dangergirl299
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-03-03 10:10 am   Permalink

mine was so good I can't remember it!

it most likely occurred up in salem oregon at the now defunct Tahiti, where I met some boys from grad school every weds night for poker, martinis and cigars. undoubtedly at some point I tried an actual tiki cocktail since they had an extensive tiki cocktail menu.

it's likely it could have been the Big Bear, a modern concoction named after the one law student who showed up there the most often - a large redheaded guy from Montana, who used to brew his own beer and throw awesome parties. I don't know what was in it, but it came in a large bowl, was light green, and I think it glowed in the dark. What counts is that it was made by a polynesian bartender (RIP) and served in the tikiest of tiki bars I've been in, and knocked you out on your ass after just one drink.

oops, wait, maybe it was a Fogcutter at Spats in Berkeley when I was underage - does that count? and/or pisco sour or scorpion, same place.

I was at spats last week and the antique comfy chairs are getting a little bit worn, dirty and stinky...

[ This Message was edited by: dangergirl299 on 2005-03-03 10:14 ]

View Profile of dangergirl299 Send a personal message to dangergirl299  Email dangergirl299 Goto the website of dangergirl299     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cynfulcynner
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-03 10:14 am   Permalink

Mine was a Fogcutter at Spats in Berkeley when I was still very underage (they never carded people there). They serve it in a glass that sits in a ceramic volcano filled with dry ice. Whooooo!

View Profile of cynfulcynner Send a personal message to cynfulcynner      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-03 10:25 am   Permalink

MY first drink was also the Tiki Tumbler at the Honolulu!

Followed by a mai tai, followed by the one that came in the mermaid glass, followed by Shani being really drunk, babbling in the car all the way home!

But my brother and Dad had a really great time too. And they loved watching me get all silly and excited. That Aloha feeling is contagious. yay!

Quote:

On 2003-12-05 08:53, Johnny Dollar wrote:
I'm pretty sure my first "in situ" drink was a Tiki Tumbler at the Honolulu. Nuff said, it rocked and it was the first time I got a tiki mug froma drink I actually bought.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SON OF MOTHRA
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-03 12:01 pm   Permalink

I can't even remember last night! Guess that means I drink too much.....

View Profile of SON OF MOTHRA Send a personal message to SON OF MOTHRA  Email SON OF MOTHRA     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bananabobs
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-03 11:23 pm   Permalink

A Virgin Mai Tai at the bar at Bali Hai in 1961, I was 6, my folks wanted to be sure alcoholism ran in the family. I still have the paper umbrella which is probably the first item in my TiKi collection.

View Profile of bananabobs Send a personal message to bananabobs      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-04 05:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-03-03 10:25, Tikiwahine wrote:
MY first drink was also the Tiki Tumbler at the Honolulu!

tiki-tumbler twin powers... activate!

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Selector Lopaka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-04 08:06 am   Permalink

After a Grateful Dead show (gasp) at the fabulous Greek Theatre in Berkeley in the mid-1980s, my friends took me to Spat's on Shattuck, where I was introduced to tropical drinks. I remember drinking a Fog Cutter, sipping from a scorpion bowl, and puking my guts out the next day.

View Profile of Selector Lopaka Send a personal message to Selector Lopaka  Email Selector Lopaka Goto the website of Selector Lopaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikipedia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-18 10:56 am   Permalink

Do you remember the first time you had a tropical drink? Your first mai tai, scorpion, or lapu lapu?

I recall my very first mai tai. I was on a trip to Hawaii, and went to a small bar at the end of Lewers Street, in Waikiki. We went there when the bar was having $1.75 mai tais. I cannot remember how good the drinks were (probably not very), but do distinctly remember the taste. I also distinctly remember having to walk down a couple of steps to enter the bar, as it was slightly below street level.

I guess the old saying is true... you never forget your first time!!!

View Profile of tikipedia Send a personal message to tikipedia  Goto the website of tikipedia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
foamy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-18 11:41 am   Permalink

I sure do. I was eighteen (legal drinking age back in the day) and a Vietnamese restaurant opened in town. Went in and ordered a Head Hunter, which came in a tiki mug, I don't remember which one but it was brown like a Leilani. Thereafter, it was my favorite restaurant and I took my dates there and I of course recommended Voodoos and Head Hunters. Great food, better drinks and tropical decor. This was in the late seventies and most people around these parts were pretty simple folk. The rumor got started that they served cat meat and they went out of business. It was a shame. I remember it, and that first Head Hunter fondly.

[ This Message was edited by: foamy 2005-12-18 11:45 ]

View Profile of foamy Send a personal message to foamy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-18 12:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-12-18 10:56, tikipedia wrote:
I recall my very first mai tai. I was on a trip to Hawaii, and went to a small bar at the end of Lewers Street, in Waikiki. We went there when the bar was having $1.75 mai tais. I cannot remember how good the drinks were (probably not very), but do distinctly remember the taste. I also distinctly remember having to walk down a couple of steps to enter the bar, as it was slightly below street level.

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-15 15:27 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-12-18 2:18 pm   Permalink

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=6584&forum=1
little mo topic here

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation