FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Ghosts of Tiki Bars Past... Wisconsin... Update!
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Ghosts of Tiki Bars Past... Wisconsin... Update!
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-21 11:13 pm   Permalink

Wow, a rendering! I loved that place ever since I discovered a matchbook of it in the wallpaper of "Neptune's Net" (?) in Seal Beach. I once called there and some guy said the restaurant was no more, but they (the Motel) had some slides of when they had the Tikis carved...and I never went there, sigh.

I especially like the helicopter landing pad, A MUST at a time when individual helicopter travel was IMMINENT!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-22 12:02 am   Permalink

Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
Quote:
The sign looks very reminiscent of the Kon Tiki signs in Phoenix and Tucson.

The Islander in LA had the same sort of sign in 1959, according to BoT, page 12. Kon Tiki in Tucson (1963) still has theirs and I've seen at least one other place somewhere in Locating Tiki that has the same sort of sign with parallel shields containing lettering, a mask overhead and torches angled at the sides. What establishment was the much-copied first user of this design. Bigbro?

[ This Message was edited by: tikijackalope on 2004-09-22 01:23 ]

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-09-26 6:21 pm   Permalink

Bigbro - I found the matchbook in my collection too. Here's a pic:

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-26 08:34 am   Permalink

This is all too strange. While I was just down at the Kon Tiki Tucson,for phase 1 of the Spruce Up, they were telling me that there was a ghost that hung out there. To keep the bar open while I was working, my hours where early AM a few days. Twice I saw a blue/black shadow move down this hallway.

I get goose bumps every time I see the picture or think of it. And no, I was not on booze, unless Circle K was spiking their coffee. A couple of the servers, bartenders, manager and owner have also seen the blue/black shadow moving down that side of the building. I wonder who it was? It wasn't scary, but rather a good feeling.

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-29 12:27 pm   Permalink

Earlier in this post Lake Surfer was talking about a restraunt called Bluemound Gardens that used to be the Leilani Village. I finally got up enough nerve to call the owner and ask him about it. He said he didn't know anything and gave me the number of the original owner. When I spoke with him he said that I had the wrong place and that the Leilani was further west on Bluemound Ave. So today I'm going exploring to see what I can find out on the old place. I'll check in later with my findings. Wish me luck!

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-12 08:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-07-29 12:27, finkdaddy wrote:
Earlier in this post Lake Surfer was talking about a restaurant called Bluemound Gardens that used to be the Leilani Village. I finally got up enough nerve to call the owner and ask him about it. He said he didn't know anything and gave me the number of the original owner. When I spoke with him he said that I had the wrong place and that the Leilani was further west on Bluemound Ave. So today I'm going exploring to see what I can find out on the old place. I'll check in later with my findings. Wish me luck!

It turns out that the Leilani was a lot farther west on Bluemound rd. We drove around to find the adress it would have been at and I am sorry to report that there is nothing left at all of the original buildings. Nothing, zero, zip. The property now holds a new and very large Boston Store.

Any ideas on how to track down info on the old Leilani Village?

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-09-30 11:11 pm   Permalink

Spectacular! I'm making slow but sure discoveries on the Leilani that was located in Brookfield, WI.

Quick background on this find... the wife and I bought our first home a couple months ago... a ranch home built in 1965. There is some tiki in it. When we first viewed it there were a carved tiki spoon and fork on the wall of the kitchen. The owners said it was a gift they received. I guess they were not attached to them because after asking about them and expressing an interest through our realtor to purchase them, they were included in the purchase of the home along with some appliances.

I was getting my new carving studio set up in the basement this weekend and tearing out an old section of workbench. Under the top layer I found some old newspapers that may have been used as some sort of underlayment or cushion. The newspapers were Milwaukee Journals dated January 23 and 24, 1973. Born in 1970, the papers were still great little history for me as I flipped through marveling at prices of things then ( a new AMC Hornet for $2449.00... my family had one of those ) and new movies premiering at the time... Deliverance... 007, Diamonds Are Forever.

In the club and restaurant section were some ads... one jumped out at me... Gliles' Leilani! The address, probably right next door to the hotel as the numbers are very close.
I imagine it still having tiki decor as I remember seeing it with tiki as a child later on in the 70's. In '73 we had just moved from Downey, CA to Milwaukee, but being 3 I wouldn't have remembered seeing the Leilani that early.

Here's the ad...

So, tiki runs strong in our home already... and now there is a tiki carver living in it. And after Hukilau I will set up my tiki bar. The Leilani ad will hang in the bar framed, as will the tiki fork and spoon that was passed onto me.

I need to approach the cities of Brookfield and Wauwatosa and see if I can dig up some info there on all this...

The quest continues...

[ This Message was edited by: Lake Surfer 2006-09-30 23:15 ]

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-26 01:19 am   Permalink

Doing some more digging on Milwaukee's tiki past...

More on the Leilani...

Lardinois, Harold C.

Publication Date: Nov. 04, 2001

Entered Eternal Life on Nov. 1, age 85 years. Beloved husband of Emily (nee Jusczak). Much loved father of Karen (Henry) McFarland, Gloria (Jim) Holsen, and Mary Lynn (Joe) Abler. Dear grandfather of Paul (Kim) McFarland, Anne and Kathryn Holsen, Michael and Carolyn Abler. Harold is further survived by sister Gladys Kovnesky, brother Richard (Jennie) Lardinois, and many nieces and nephews. Harold was the owner of the Leilani and Algiers Motels in Brookfield and was co-founder of North Avenue Appliance Company in Wauwatosa. Harold was a veteran of WWII, where he proudly served in the China-Burma-India (CBI) Theatre. As a final act of selflessness, Harold donated his body for medical research and education to the Medical College of Wisconsin. A memorial service will be held at 10 AM on Mon., Nov. 5 in the Chapel at Shorehaven Tower, 1305 W. Wisconsin Ave, Oconomowoc.

View Profile of Lake Surfer Send a personal message to Lake Surfer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Lake Surfer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-26 01:25 am   Permalink

From a website on retro Milwaukee:

Nice job, Guys. I grew up in Milwaukee in the 50's and 60's - first on South 28th and Pierce, and then on Parnell Avenue off south 27th street. I firmly believe that was the best time and place to possibly grow up. Some memories: Impressing your date (and depleting your wallet) by taking her to the Leilani.

Other tidbits...

New Berlin Lions Club:
1962-1963

The dedication of Lions Park was held on July 1, 1962. A 1963 Ford truck was purchased for $5,998.13 and was christened "Leo the Lion" by Lion Jack O'Brien with a bottle of cheap champagne. A Post Prom Party sponsored by the New Berlin Lions was held at the Leilani Supper Club on May 17, 1963.

[ This Message was edited by: Lake Surfer 2007-01-26 01:36 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation