FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Wall of Tiki
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
Wall of Tiki
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-13 7:14 pm   Permalink

Do you find much in Florida, Fatuhiva?

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-13 8:04 pm   Permalink

To be honest, I havent really done a ton of hunting in Florida. By the time I got here, I had a specific list of things I wanted and wasn't too optimistic I'd just happen upon one of them at the Goodwill.. the "Natural Score" odds get stacked against you as your focus narrows. Plus, I wasn't dealing vintage at the time and that's where I had accumlated many mugs- the disciplined combing of my local areas on a daily basis. I would hit every thrift, every antique shop, and as many estate sales as I could every week (in AZ) and then do it again the next. I thrifted on my lunch breaks daily.

When I got here I was a bit out of my element, I didn't know of all the little spots that it takes awhile to build up. My wife has been planning on picking up the system again now though, since she has more time since our son was born.

I have found some good mugs, though, yes. They are here.. I don't know what the abundance is compared to Arizona, I have to lean towards a bit thinner (just from my experience in Antique Malls- the "modern" in general seems less abundant and not as high quality as the west coast) but that could be a result of EBAY moving into the market, as my best AZ picking recollections mostly pre-date Ebay

But even with the very little effort I've put in out here, I have found stuff I never found in AZ. A pair of Kelvin's mugs at a garage sale. One woman had 9 Aloha Hut mugs.. I didn't get to buy them all, but they were there.

In fact I went to the RetroRama show in Gulfport today and bought 3 Blue Honolulu mugs and a few others.

[ This Message was edited by: fatuhiva on 2003-12-13 20:05 ]

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderval
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-12-15 08:37 am   Permalink

Fatuhiva, I'm deeply honoured to have some of my mugs in your collection. I knew of the many boxes, but this surpasses my wildest dreams. Gobsmacked, awed, speachless.

View Profile of Traderval Send a personal message to Traderval  Email Traderval     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-15 11:56 pm   Permalink

hey and vice versa! Your mugs are here, some of mine are there- how cool

BTW thanks so much for the swizzles- they will make themselves right at home on the wall..

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
keigs20
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-16 12:12 am   Permalink

Amazing collection is there any vintage mug you dont have?

View Profile of keigs20 Send a personal message to keigs20  Email keigs20 Goto the website of keigs20     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMikey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-17 10:00 pm   Permalink

You should be awarded some sort of National Tiki Shrine status! Awesome Wall O' Tiki...thanks for allowing us to glimpse it!

View Profile of TikiMikey Send a personal message to TikiMikey  Email TikiMikey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-17 10:07 pm   Permalink

yes, there are mugs that i don't have. Some of them arent even that hard to come by, just for some reason i never got one. Like the Don the Beachcomber head. i dont have one of those, and ive just been kindof holding out buying one on ebay hoping i will run into it in a shop for a steal someday. Stuff like that- I kindof keep a few floating around unobtained so that I still have the hunting instinct. Plus i know there are still mugs out there that I have never seen.. every once in awhile I'll see a completely new (manufactured even) mug I'm not even aware of, and it just blows my mind.

When I get everything unboxed and setup, I'll take some more thorough pics and post em.

fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-17 10:13 pm   Permalink

one of the neat things about collecting mugs is that there are so many individually different ways to do it. Some people collect manufacturers lines (like otagiri, orchids, etc) and focus on getting all the mugs. Some people collect all the tons of new mugs being produced. Other people arent concerned about repeating designs, but want the markings to be from all different places.. (I've even seen people doing this go so far as to have half the mugs facing backwards to show the marking) its pretty cool- each collection is unique in its own way.. even the way they are organized.

This time I am displaying the mugs in a different way than I used to do it. I'm kindof going by size and style.

The size thing I'm forced to do because of being short on space. So I have short shelves and tall shelves to make use of every bit of vertical space on the bookcases. So all the short ones go together and all the tall ones go together. This led to all the Moai heads being in one area, all the triangular yellow cylinder mugs being together, all the tiki bob's being together, etc. Its looks neat doing it this way.

I put all the westwood together, and the westwood knockoffs nearby. All the PMP stuff is together with "PMP-like" stuff nearby, etc.

[ This Message was edited by: fatuhiva on 2003-12-17 22:15 ]

SES
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-01 10:28 pm   Permalink

Fantikitastic! Looks incredible!

So we get to the new place and I fill up the whole one-car garage with these boxes. I had blown out the alphabet and was marking boxes ZZ, XX, etc

Hahahahah!

View Profile of SES Send a personal message to SES      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-26 10:53 am   Permalink

Any chance you could repost the pics from the original post? or perhaps post new ones?

my humble thanks in advance,

-Z

(edit: huh, I can view the pics just fine on my home PC, but at work they were just the red X's... so never mind my ramblin's)

[ This Message was edited by: feelin' zombified on 2005-06-01 17:24 ]

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Matt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-26 5:29 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Matt on 2005-05-26 17:29 ]

View Profile of Tiki Matt Send a personal message to Tiki Matt  Goto the website of Tiki Matt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WooHooWahine
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-05-31 8:58 pm   Permalink

Woo Hoo! Who's the lucky one that gets to do the dusting???

View Profile of WooHooWahine Send a personal message to WooHooWahine  Email WooHooWahine     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikilicious
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-07 05:27 am   Permalink

OH MY TIKI!!!!!!!!!!!

I bow to you, and kiss your feet!

So when can I come over for a visit, hmmm?

*COVET!*

View Profile of Tikilicious Send a personal message to Tikilicious  Email Tikilicious Goto the website of Tikilicious     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-24 1:38 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: filslash 2008-09-15 15:33 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bete
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-01-24 2:56 pm   Permalink

WOW, what a collection, how cool!

View Profile of Bete Send a personal message to Bete      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation