FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Politiki, Washington, D.C. (bar)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Politiki, Washington, D.C. (bar)
Iolani
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-12-09 08:32 am   Permalink

Name:Politiki, Washington, D.C.
Type:bar
Street:319 Pennsylvania Ave SE - Basement Level
City:Washington, D.C.
State:N/A
Zip:20003
Phone:(202) 546-1001

*** UPDATE ***

This tiki bar is no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet its maker! THIS IS A LATE TIKI BAR. It's a stiff. Bereft of life, it rests in peace! It's rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible! THIS IS AN EX-TIKI BAR!

As this thread notes, the space has been converted into a "German" bar with a sheisse theme.

They could have at least given it a good German theme. Something like "Hogan's Heroes."

END UPDATE

-60-60-60-

[ This Message was edited by: Iolani 2005-09-30 09:26 ]

View Profile of Iolani Send a personal message to Iolani      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-09 08:46 am   Permalink

i went to politiki about 2x in circa 1998 and the main floor was still very cool. then they changed a couple years later to the pub thing. i liked the authenticity of the main floor's decoration/ambiance while it was still tiki but moved my stomping grounds elsewhere and didn't feel compelled to go back, especially after the pub thing. last year i tried to sneak into the basement (still tiki) during day hours, and the big "tony rocky horror" dude kicked me out.

j$

[ This Message was edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2003-12-09 08:51 ]

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suburban Hipster
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-09 09:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-12-09 08:32, Iolani wrote:
I've stayed away from it for years b/c I don't like Hill trash

Okay . . .

Well as to Politiki, they did have a very good bartender, Ted, until not too long ago who could mix excellent Tiki drinks and was receptive to Tiki generally. If he's gone for good, then there's probably nothing to recommend the place except for the decor.

[ This Message was edited by: Suburban Hipster on 2003-12-09 09:51 ]

View Profile of Suburban Hipster Send a personal message to Suburban Hipster  Email Suburban Hipster     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iolani
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-12-09 10:06 am   Permalink

Ah, thanks for the tip. I'll have to give them a call to see if Ted still works there.

View Profile of Iolani Send a personal message to Iolani      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rattiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-09 1:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

If he's gone for good, then there's probably nothing to recommend the place except for the decor.

Well they do have some cool president mugs to buy.
http://www.topofthehill-dc.com/politiki/tikimugs.htm

View Profile of Rattiki Send a personal message to Rattiki  Email Rattiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suburban Hipster
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-09 1:31 pm   Permalink

^Very true. The Reagan mug is a must have. Not only is it valued at $250 by Ebay sellers, but it also has Nancy doing the hula on the back. Huba huba.

View Profile of Suburban Hipster Send a personal message to Suburban Hipster  Email Suburban Hipster     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ModMana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-09 3:23 pm   Permalink

I've been trying unsuccessfully to buy that set of mugs for over a year now. They do not have the greatest customer service at PoliTiki. I've emailed them maybe 5 or 6 times and never gotten a reply. Finally last July I called them. They seemed only vaguely familiar with the fact that the mugs were even for sale. I mentioned the website advertisement...the person I spoke with didn't know they had a website. Then I spoke with a manager who said there was only one mug style for sale (Reagan). She said the rest might be in stock next month. I call back in September to see if they had restocked. Same runaround on the phone. The only answer I could get is that they didn't have any for sale and may never get any. Basically, they didn't know and didn't care. I've pretty much given up on them...sounds like they're going downhill in all respects.

ModMana

View Profile of ModMana Send a personal message to ModMana  Email ModMana     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-12-09 4:16 pm   Permalink

Several of us in the DC area have met at Poli-tiki a number of times over the past year. Everytime we ask about their mugs, and every time they say they have only a few styles in stock (Reagan, FDR) It takes a small search in their storeroom for them to find what is available. I don't put much faith in them re-ordering their stock.

I was last in Poli-tiki in July. I had a couple of drinks in the basement level, which were OK. The bartender had a small stack of business-sized cards on the bar, each featured a promotional picture of a dancer from a nearby strip club. He was handing these cards to the customers, telling us we should stop by that club afterwards. He was quite proud that he knew several of the women by name.

I would have preferred it if he was more proud of the many tiki drinks that he could make from memory. Evidently good help - especially the kind with a knowledge of tiki-mixology - is hard to find.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-09 10:29 pm   Permalink

With the imminent demise of Honolulu in the near future it looks like you're gonna have to stay at home for authentic tiki decor and well made tiki drinks. I agree the Politiki's decor is rather nice but I've yet to have a well made drink that even begins to compare with the ones I can mix up at home. As for the mugs, I don't think we're ever going to see a new stock of them so we should probably stop holding our breath! If you really need to have one I guess you'll have to resort to $200.00 mugs on Ebay - or if anyone wants to make a trade for a Reagan and an FDR let me know

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-09 10:42 pm   Permalink

Last I heard about the mugs, they were in transit...somewhere...on a boat?! They didn't seemed all that worried that the mugs had gone a missin'. Ted will be missed, I still remember the SB the one bartender made while reading the directions from Ted's chart. It was sufferin, but I don't know what it was.

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-10 12:01 am   Permalink

I was truly excited to see the Politiki last summer on a business trip to DC. The high point of my evening was meeting Mr. and Mrs. Suburban hipster. The Politiki appeared to have started with all the passion and care of a true tiki person. The Bosko art was plentiful, Ryden on the walls, a collection of mugs behind the bar and tropical themed decor.

Unfortunately, all the living parts of the bar were the exact opposite of Tiki. The top two floors looked more like a sports bar frat house with AC/DC playing at full volume.

It was clear the owner had a vision, but the average patron does not seem to care for it very much.

Hopefully it will turn around but it doesn't look good.

Thanks again Hipsters for a great night out.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-10 01:03 am   Permalink

I have a set of four politiki mugs that i plan to put up on ebay. I like them, but as seen in a 'collecting tiki' thread i am short on room, and the mugs are a space-taker. I decided I was going to go all-vintage to save room.. since they are recent, they will go. If anyone is interested let me know ill i try to get around to posting them.

I think they are:

carter, lincoln, FDR and Nixon

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kanaka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-10 07:08 am   Permalink

I need a Nixon and Lincoln!

Scotty

View Profile of Kanaka Send a personal message to Kanaka  Email Kanaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrhansell

Posted: 2003-12-10 11:36 am   Permalink

When Politiki opened, a group of us were determined to make it our new hang out. We were in awe of downstairs Tiki bar and thought the political tiki idea was pretty clever. Unfortunately, capitol hill idjits who frequent the place would have none of it. Anything that got in the way of their Miller Lite and Beastie Boys was treated with complete disrespect. We soon discovered Honolulu in Virginia, though. Mr. Chan treated us like we were his beloved, drunken children. Some of my favorite, if not fuzziest, memories of living in the DC area are from there.

[ This Message was edited by: mrhansell on 2003-12-10 11:52 ]

View Profile of mrhansell Send a personal message to mrhansell      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-10 11:44 am   Permalink

I've been there three times. The first time I went on a night they were closed. The second time I went too early and the downstairs tiki bar was closed, but the upstairs sports pub was open. The third time I went the tiki bar was open, but I was the only person there. The bar tender was cool and he made me a "Shark's Tooth" which was pretty good. I liked the decor, but the lack of customers seems like a major problem.

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation