FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Politiki, Washington, D.C. (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Politiki, Washington, D.C. (bar)
tikibars
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-11 11:03 pm   Permalink

This place has had a lot of ups and downs.

I went there in 1998 and the ground level floor was cool, but not mind-blowing. The owners told me they were going to have swing dancing upstairs on the second floor, and "more Tiki in the basement, Kahuna".

Then the local frat boys decided Tiki wasn't hip and forced the owners into de-Tikifing the ground level. Word spread that there was no Tiki left at PoliTiki.

Later, I got an Email from the owner stating that although the ground level and upstairs were no longer Tiki (or at all retro in any sense), the basement was a Tiki paradise.

My latest understanding is that the basement is Tiki, but (as previous posters to this thread have pointed out), the bartenders aren't.

Given the location, this place was doomed to failrue from day 1, and the fact tthat they've had their doors open going on 6 years is a miracle. Too bad they weren't in a spot more condusive to drawing a Tiki-appriciative crowd.

View Profile of tikibars Send a personal message to tikibars  Email tikibars Goto the website of tikibars     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-16 07:09 am   Permalink

As of this morning,

I walked by "the facility formerly known as Poli-Tiki," I noticed the original sign has been removed / covered up and in its place is a sign that says "Pour * House."

The Abe and Roosevelt tikis are still there on the facade.

fyi.
j$

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BarkerBird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-20 6:47 pm   Permalink

I went there in 98 and found it to be sub-standard. Actually, really disappointing.

As others have said, the place looked more into Bud Light banners than tikis.

I bought 3 mugs, Carter, Nixon and Lincoln, and called it a night.

Would have liked a Reagan, but it hadn't been created yet, I think.

Great mugs. Crappy bar. No harm that it's gone now.

View Profile of BarkerBird Send a personal message to BarkerBird      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suburban Hipster
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-21 08:29 am   Permalink

Anyone been inside lately to see whether the basement is still tiki?

View Profile of Suburban Hipster Send a personal message to Suburban Hipster  Email Suburban Hipster     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-21 09:56 am   Permalink

The website is still up, but right now it says:

Quote:
Look out for our new theme bar downstairs

Details to be posted soon !!!

http://www.politiki-dc.com/politiki.html

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-21 11:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-21 09:56, Humuhumu wrote:
The website is still up, but right now it says:

Quote:
Look out for our new theme bar downstairs

Details to be posted soon !!!

http://www.politiki-dc.com/politiki.html

Quote:
EVERY MONDAY - WEDNESDAY 8PM - 12AM

1/2 PRICE WINGS AND 1/2 PRICE BUD LIGHT PITCHERS

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-22 08:04 am   Permalink

Do it at Politiki

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-07-25 4:22 pm   Permalink

I stopped at the former Poli-Tiki earlier today. As someone had previously posted, the name of the place is no longer Poli-Tiki -- it is now called the Pour House. The main floor was your standard sports bar -perhaps a dozen television sets, and other sports prints on the wall. I believe they are trying to cater to the international soccer crowd, as that was what was on most of the screens.

One of the doors to the former basement tiki room was blocked off (it was late Sunday afternoon), so I asked the bartender if the tiki stuff was still down there. She said all of the tiki stuff is gone, and that room is known as the Scheisse Haus, with a German theme.

So, unless anyone has the courage to go down there and see if there are any tiki remnants left there, I would write off the Poli-Tiki for us tiki lovers.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Turbogod
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-25 4:55 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-25 16:22, ikitnrev wrote:
that room is known as the Scheisse Haus,

If that means what I think it means, more power to them. That totally sucks that the tiki are all gone. Hold on to those Nancy Reagan mugs.

View Profile of Turbogod Send a personal message to Turbogod      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TNTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-25 8:14 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: TNTiki on 2004-11-06 18:16 ]

View Profile of TNTiki Send a personal message to TNTiki  Email TNTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BarkerBird
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-26 5:18 pm   Permalink

That sums up the poli-tiki for me.

Great mugs and great name and concept.

Totally Sh** execution.

View Profile of BarkerBird Send a personal message to BarkerBird      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-07-29 5:28 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-07-26 17:18, BarkerBird wrote:
That sums up the poli-tiki for me.

Great mugs and great name and concept.

Totally Sh** execution.

amen

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-24 10:32 am   Permalink

all that remains...

before...

thx Debra Jane Seltzer / agilitynut

after...

from Washington Post:
"Also gone is the dimly lit, basement-level Politiki lounge, which featured a large Trader Vic-style tropical drink menu, rattan furniture and large carved tiki heads. The concept was nicer than the space, which was really showing its age. The basement now sports vaguely Germanic decor, including dark wooden beams and a Bavarian flag, as well as a puerile name that isn't suitable for polite German-speaking company. 'It's a joke, more of a parody," Laverty says. 'It's a real laidback floor, like a beer hall." Schuster adds: 'We wanted to get it cleaned up and make it a nicer bar.'"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?node=entertainment/profile&id=799057

http://www.politiki-dc.com/hous.shtml

[ This Message was edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2005-03-25 09:29 ]

johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-25 05:46 am   Permalink

Now if we can only find a way to liberate Lincoln & find a "new deal" for FDR! I've got a nice 15' high expanse of wall leading down the basement steps that FDR would look perfect on!

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-25 06:49 am   Permalink

Glad I was able to visit it before its demise.

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation