FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Politiki, Washington, D.C. (bar)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Politiki, Washington, D.C. (bar)
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-03-25 09:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-03-25 05:46, johntiki wrote:
Now if we can only find a way to liberate Lincoln & find a "new deal" for FDR!

it'd be funny to secretly replace abe and fdr tikis with tikis of barfing frat boys / hill wonks in tyrolean hats

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-03 11:49 am   Permalink

Quote:
"'It's a real laidback floor, like a beer hall.' Schuster adds: 'We wanted to get it cleaned up and make it a nicer bar.'"

So a beer hall with a name that means "sh*t" is a cleaner, nicer bar?!?!? Than a cool, classy, richly decorated space?? Granted, I was lucky in that I was there with the DC/VA/MD crew on a night when Ted the Fab Bartender was working so the compnay was perfect and the drinks rocked, therefore my memories are nothing but fond, but STILL!

A beer hall name "Sh*t House" is classier and nicer than a tiki lounge.

The Devil is making snow-demons in Hell tonight...

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
monkeyskull
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-15 5:14 pm   Permalink

By sheer chance I stumbled upon the place that appears to have inherited a good deal of the tiki items from Politiki. It's the "Big Hunt" near Dupont Circle. They have a headhunter theme downstairs, with the tiki stuff around the pool table upstairs and on the small patio. Ryden prints, a case of mugs, several tikis, etc.

I'll post my pictures when I get some time.

View Profile of monkeyskull Send a personal message to monkeyskull  Email monkeyskull Goto the website of monkeyskull     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikitnrev
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-15 6:03 pm   Permalink

Joe Englert, the former owner of Politiki, is the co-owner of The Big Hunt and several other bars in the DC area, so those are probably the same items that were displayed in Poli-Tiki. I believe most of those items were from Englert's private collection.

Englert sold the former Poli-Tiki to new owners, who converted the formerly tiki decor basement to a German themed room.

Englert seems to have lots of ideas for new themed bars in the DC area, and is looking to revive the H street corridor in Northeast DC. If anyone has the resources and connections to open a new tiki bar in DC, it is probably him.

Vern

View Profile of ikitnrev Send a personal message to ikitnrev  Email ikitnrev     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rupe33
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-07-29 09:29 am   Permalink

We probably need the status updated for this one.

View Profile of rupe33 Send a personal message to rupe33  Goto the website of rupe33     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Iolani
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2005-09-30 09:28 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-07-29 09:29, rupe33 wrote:
We probably need the status updated for this one.

Done and done.

View Profile of Iolani Send a personal message to Iolani      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rupe33
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-30 1:15 pm   Permalink

The irony is... the posting on here that indicates the new theme is Scheisse Haus (roughly translates as Sh*t House), it wasn't a joke: it's the **real** name of the new bar:
http://www.politiki-dc.com/

~Rupe

View Profile of rupe33 Send a personal message to rupe33  Goto the website of rupe33     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suffering Bastard of Stumptown
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-09-30 1:59 pm   Permalink

I doesn't "roughly" translate as sh*t house. It's a literal translation.

and that's just sad.

--SBiM

View Profile of Suffering Bastard of Stumptown Send a personal message to Suffering Bastard of Stumptown      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-02 09:26 am   Permalink

Allow me to ad a little linguistic differentiation here:

While the word Scheisshaus does exist in German slang (as in "Ich geh mal eben auf's Scheisshaus"- I am going to the crapper), the term "Scheisse Haus" is an American invention, conjuring up word associations like "Dieses Haus ist Scheisse" (This house is shit) or "Ich scheisse auf dieses Haus" (I shit on this house).
In general, the inspiration for this kind of name seems to come from the frat boy idea that all of Germany is one big drunken Octoberfest (much like all of Polynesia is one big Luau, tiz tiz).

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ HawaiianShirt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-27 2:50 pm   Permalink

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I'm relatively new to the tiki drink scene and I was wondering if anybody knows if there are any tiki bars or tiki-esque bars at all in Washington(or at least near the district and accessible by metro)?

I went to a bar the other day and no one there could make a Mai Tai. I need something better than bars like that!

View Profile of DJ HawaiianShirt Send a personal message to DJ HawaiianShirt  Goto the website of DJ HawaiianShirt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-31 04:33 am   Permalink

Thanks for bumping this thread. I visited Politiki once, about 3 years ago. I was the only person there, so the young guy behind the bar decided to comp me a bunch of cocktails after I purchased a Ronald Reagan mug. He was enthusiastic, but needed a lot more practice.

After I'd sucked down a couple, the female congressional pages started showing up in droves, the music changed from tropical/lounge to country rock, the frat boys began migrating downstairs in order to hit on the pages, and the whole scene went to hell in a handbasket. I split.

In short, the place was already a Scheisse Haus, it just didn't say that on the sign outside yet.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-31 05:22 am   Permalink

everything in dc went downhill after mr. chan stopped mixing nixon's navy grogs

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikigap
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-31 07:31 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-05-27 14:50, DJ HawaiianShirt wrote:
Sorry to bump this old thread, but I'm relatively new to the tiki drink scene and I was wondering if anybody knows if there are any tiki bars or tiki-esque bars at all in Washington(or at least near the district and accessible by metro)?

I went to a bar the other day and no one there could make a Mai Tai. I need something better than bars like that!

Pacific Restaurant in Sterling Virginia. Good Mai Tais. Pretty good tiki - but too 'clean' if you know what I mean.
Forbidden City Restaurant in McLean Va. Good Zombies (and pretty good mai tais). Not tiki tho - chinese.

View Profile of tikigap Send a personal message to tikigap  Email tikigap Goto the website of tikigap     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-05-31 07:52 am   Permalink

and if you find yourself at the stardust restaurant (http://www.stardustrestaurant.com/) in alexandria, do NOT ask for a mai tai - the bartender there almost decked me after i told her her mai tai was not a mai tai

alas...

DJ HawaiianShirt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-06-10 2:43 pm   Permalink

Tikigap,

Is that Pacific Restaurant in Sterling accessible by Metro? I'm but a lowly young person without a car here.

In Express yesterday I saw a recipe for a tropical looking drink, and the recipe was by Cabanas, a restaurant near the Georgetown waterfront. It says that it's Latin American cuisine, which isn't tiki per se, but definitely tropical. I'm thinking of trying it out, although it's bound to be horribly expensive.

Spirited Remix - cocktails and spirits blog
http://spiritedremix.blogspot.com

View Profile of DJ HawaiianShirt Send a personal message to DJ HawaiianShirt  Goto the website of DJ HawaiianShirt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation