FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Beyond Tiki » » ??Tiki News??
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
??Tiki News??
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-20 02:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-12-19 12:26, stentiki wrote:

Hey Reverend,
I'll have the #4 with side of fries!
[/quote]
http://load.pquinn.com/binaries/fries/

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2003-12-22 3:19 pm   Permalink

OK folks, here's the scoop
All of you are correct, I do not disagree with any of the posts here. A big thanks to those who have posted considerate responses in defense of Tiki News' publishing schedule (Vern, Woody, etc).
You’ve had your say now hear me out.

I have enough material to publish two or three issues right now but have not had the time to get it all together. There will be future issues of Tiki News. Please read below for justifications for Tiki News’ absence. In the meantime I will make you the same offer that I offer retail outlets which is an unparalleled good faith offer (imagine a real magazine making this offer) - all issues of Tiki News are fully guaranteed, if at anytime you do not want a subscription to Tiki News you may cancel it and request your money back. Please read on.

First off, besides Tiki News magazine I have produced quite a bit of stuff over the past two years - namely a beautiful son named Vander Vegas.
Anyone with children can stop reading now because they will understand what this entails. Say goodbye to Dana Countryman publisher of Cool & Strange Music - he had a kid and called it quits. I intend to continue publishing as time allows, I am not calling it quits. Anyone who does not have children please continue.

I have produced the Tiki Oasis event and continue to DJ around town and post events to my email list. All of which is time consuming considering I also have a day job.

I am currently working on a large Tiki art show to happen in SF in Sept 2004. Several artists will benefit from this. I don’t know if they are subscribers or not. I know Shag is a subscriber and I know he benefited from two previous art exhibits I held in past years (I made zero money off of those shows. Not even $12).

Second of all, those who have subscribed have gotten SOMETHING. If you were a subscriber a couple years back you got a free issue of Juxtapoz magazine - a deal I worked out with them as part of a cross promotion which cost me time and effort and cost Jux lots of mailing fees and cost you NOTHING.
You also benefit when I do mail outs which happens once or twice a year.
In the past subscribers received annual Christmas gifts like magnets, stickers, cards but I had to stop that cause the subscriber list got too big.
Upon subscribing to Tiki News, everyone gets a pile of old postcards with their order. Most people appreciate these, maybe some people don't but it is still a little extra effort on my part to store and stuff these cards into every order.

Thirdly, $12 is not enough money to really bitch about or lose a friend over so I think you should think about complaining before you launch into a rant. I understand that the real issue is that you want to read another issue of the mag. Believe me, so do I. I dig Tiki News I read the magazine over and over while I create it and then read it again after it comes out. It truly troubles me that I have not been able to produce more issues and to receive hate mail about this only bothers me more.

Fourthly (is that a word?), anyone who has produced anything – an event, a book/magazine, etc – knows that things that require effort take a lot of time. They also know that some projects die out for a variety of reasons and never see the light of day despite lots of work and time spent. So to produce ANYTHING at all is quite a feat and to produce something good is sort of an incredible feat. I have already accomplished that with Tiki News and will continue to achieve that incredible goal of actually finishing something. If you do not understand what I am talking about here ask Lee Joseph of Dionysus records how long he has worked to release records and how many have fallen through the cracks, ask Shag (someone who has an unbelievable work ethic and has produced hundreds of graphic projects) how many concepts have not come to fruition, ask Pizz (another successful artist) about his failed cartoon project.
Sven’s book was ready to be published nearly five years before it got published. Not that I am comparing a tome such as Sven’s book to Tiki News – I am just using that as an example.

Most other zines have fallen off the face of the earth or are on extended hiatus
Gearhead, Murder Can be Fun, Organ and Bongos, thriftscore, etc

All I can say at this point is hang in there and you will be duly rewarded.

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thebaxdog
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-22 3:43 pm   Permalink

And that is that about that.
Making an enemy was never the reason for my rant.
Only a 3rd grade attempt to gather information.
Now that the information is out I will shut my fucking pie hole.
Thank you for answering.
(slowly hang my head and fall under my desk in shame)
Happydog (What can I do?)

View Profile of thebaxdog Send a personal message to thebaxdog  Email thebaxdog Goto the website of thebaxdog     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
manic cat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-23 4:28 pm   Permalink

Don't feel bad, Baxdog. You really only asked a question that probably every subscriber thought one time or another. I'm glad that you had the balls to ask it!
My suggestion would be to get involved in your own Tiki project--contribute to the spirit while others need time for their families and non-tiki personal lives. You'll be so busy with pulling the work and energy source (i.e money) together that if another 2 years pass without a new Tiki News, you would have been too busy to notice. And your tiki itch would have been scratched a little bit.

M anic NYC

View Profile of manic cat Send a personal message to manic cat  Email manic cat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-12-23 5:57 pm   Permalink

I thought it was cool that when I subscribed, Otto took the time to personally write me a card (on the Kahiki closing card no less). It made me feel accepted in Tiki News.

I'm cool with waiting.

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-23 6:59 pm   Permalink

I'm not actually paid up through 2015. I don't even have a subscription. In all my business dealings with Otto, he's always been great. I was just joking around.

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mrs. B
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-23 9:33 pm   Permalink

Kiss ass much?

[ This Message was edited by: Mrs. B on 2003-12-23 21:35 ]

View Profile of Mrs. B Send a personal message to Mrs. B      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-24 12:40 am   Permalink

Well......I don't wanna really rock the boat any further, but.... While I may understand and appreciate how people get busy, have family commitments, day jobs, etc, Mr. Otto's explaination was lacking one thing in my opinion, The words "I'm Sorry".

Making excuses (legitimate or not), comparing yourself to other failed projects, and having a "hey its only $12 bucks" attitude doesn't sit well with me, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

While others may have been sent stickers, free magazines, hand written notes, others, including myself haven't. All I have is a cashed check from 2 years ago.

Otto may be the nicest guy in the world, (I've never met him) but I really would have appreciated the words..."I'm Sorry".

I thought it was nice to offer the refund policy....something I may choose to exercise.

Erich

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-27 6:39 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-12-22 15:19, Otto wrote:
OK folks, here's the scoop
All of you are correct, I do not disagree with any of the posts here. A big thanks to those who have posted considerate responses in defense of Tiki News' publishing schedule (Vern, Woody, etc).
You’ve had your say now hear me out.

I have enough material to publish two or three issues right now but have not had the time to get it all together. There will be future issues of Tiki News. Please read below for justifications for Tiki News’ absence. In the meantime I will make you the same offer that I offer retail outlets which is an unparalleled good faith offer (imagine a real magazine making this offer) - all issues of Tiki News are fully guaranteed, if at anytime you do not want a subscription to Tiki News you may cancel it and request your money back. Please read on.

First off, besides Tiki News magazine I have produced quite a bit of stuff over the past two years - namely a beautiful son named Vander Vegas....

And he was noble enough to step in on the Tiki Gardens tiki endevor.

TG

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-27 7:26 pm   Permalink

I try.

Okay, now I take it all back... Mainly just for my own sake.

It's too late... isn't it....

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-12-27 9:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2003-12-27 18:39, TikiGardener wrote

TG

Did he get his dough back ?

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGardener
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-28 01:38 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-12-27 21:21, Tiki_Bong wrote:
Quote:

[i]On 2003-12-27 18:39, TikiGardener wrote

TG

Did he get his dough back ?

Exactly what are you talking about? To my knowledge, he returned the money that was in the trust.

So I guess he would have if he contributed more than his time.

TG

View Profile of TikiGardener Send a personal message to TikiGardener  Goto the website of TikiGardener     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rider
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-21 11:20 pm   Permalink

Bump! No Tiki News is bad news

Aloha

View Profile of Tiki Rider Send a personal message to Tiki Rider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-22 12:21 am   Permalink

Well, that was 1 1/2 years ago we were promised we would be "duly rewarded". I must have missed the reward.

Man, you had to bring it up again and get me steamed up. It makes me mad that I never got any magazines, it makes me mad that my $12 vanished, his excuses and reasoning makes me mad, and I'm mostly mad at myself for not asking for my money back on Principle a year and a half ago.

Whats really wrong is that unsuspecting people can still go to the website, see the 3 issues for $12, and send money, without ever knowing the magazine has been defunct for 5 years.

The good thing is we have the new Tiki Magazine now.

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
alohabros
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-22 5:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-12-23 17:57, Tiki_Bong wrote:
I thought it was cool that when I subscribed, Otto took the time to personally write me a card (on the Kahiki closing card no less). It made me feel accepted in Tiki News.

I'm cool with waiting.

that's cool, for sure...

View Profile of alohabros Send a personal message to alohabros      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation