FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Beyond Tiki » » ??Tiki News??
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
??Tiki News??
aikiman44
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-08-22 8:39 pm   Permalink

Okay, I'll take my money back for the back issues I never received. I'm gonna hold my breath, now.

View Profile of aikiman44 Send a personal message to aikiman44  Email aikiman44 Goto the website of aikiman44     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rider
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-02 1:21 pm   Permalink

bump...still havent received any tiki news.

View Profile of Tiki Rider Send a personal message to Tiki Rider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AquaZombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-03 12:21 pm   Permalink

Otto is my upstairs neighbor. I've offered babysitting services (well, via my wife) so he can get the next issue out by the time his SECOND son arrives next month (Nov 2005). My impetus is I contributed an article and would like to see it actually printed. I kick his ass daily and he promises to have the new issue out before Vander's baby brother shows up, which means it'll be another four years till the NEXT issue.

I can confirm first hand Otto is very nice, very sincere, very apologetic, but also very preoccupied with parenthood. I can't relate since we don't have kids, though it does seem I've adopted Otto's cat, or vice versa.

Stay tuned, I'm workin' on him...

View Profile of AquaZombie Send a personal message to AquaZombie  Email AquaZombie Goto the website of AquaZombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-10-03 4:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-10-03 12:21, AquaZombie wrote:
Otto is my upstairs neighbor.

while you're there.. riffle thru his stuff, and find me issues 1-3, please!

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki No News

Posted: 2005-10-07 7:20 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-08-22 00:21, ErichTroudt wrote:
Well, that was 1 1/2 years ago we were promised we would be "duly rewarded". I must have missed the reward.

Man, you had to bring it up again and get me steamed up. It makes me mad that I never got any magazines, it makes me mad that my $12 vanished, his excuses and reasoning makes me mad, and I'm mostly mad at myself for not asking for my money back on Principle a year and a half ago.

Whats really wrong is that unsuspecting people can still go to the website, see the 3 issues for $12, and send money, without ever knowing the magazine has been defunct for 5 years.

The good thing is we have the new Tiki Magazine now.

Just add up all the $12.00 payments that he has collected. I too have not received squat for my money, just plenty of excuses. sad

View Profile of Tiki No News Send a personal message to Tiki No News      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mail Fraud Tiki

Posted: 2005-10-07 9:04 pm   Permalink

Someone might want to let Mr Otto know what that penalties are for mail fraud, which is what he actively engages in.

I have a postcard (from the closing of the Kahiki) signed BY him stating that I'd get my issues (intent), and I have my cancelled check (acceptance), showing he accepted my money.

His ass is grass if I have a bad day...

View Profile of Mail Fraud Tiki Send a personal message to Mail Fraud Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Rider
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-07 10:21 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-12-22 15:19, Otto wrote:
OK folks, here's the scoop
All of you are correct, I do not disagree with any of the posts here. A big thanks to those who have posted considerate responses in defense of Tiki News' publishing schedule (Vern, Woody, etc).
You’ve had your say now hear me out.

I have enough material to publish two or three issues right now but have not had the time to get it all together. There will be future issues of Tiki News. Please read below for justifications for Tiki News’ absence. In the meantime I will make you the same offer that I offer retail outlets which is an unparalleled good faith offer (imagine a real magazine making this offer) - all issues of Tiki News are fully guaranteed, if at anytime you do not want a subscription to Tiki News you may cancel it and request your money back. Please read on.

First off, besides Tiki News magazine I have produced quite a bit of stuff over the past two years - namely a beautiful son named Vander Vegas.
Anyone with children can stop reading now because they will understand what this entails. Say goodbye to Dana Countryman publisher of Cool & Strange Music - he had a kid and called it quits. I intend to continue publishing as time allows, I am not calling it quits. Anyone who does not have children please continue.

I have produced the Tiki Oasis event and continue to DJ around town and post events to my email list. All of which is time consuming considering I also have a day job.

I am currently working on a large Tiki art show to happen in SF in Sept 2004. Several artists will benefit from this. I don’t know if they are subscribers or not. I know Shag is a subscriber and I know he benefited from two previous art exhibits I held in past years (I made zero money off of those shows. Not even $12).

Second of all, those who have subscribed have gotten SOMETHING. If you were a subscriber a couple years back you got a free issue of Juxtapoz magazine - a deal I worked out with them as part of a cross promotion which cost me time and effort and cost Jux lots of mailing fees and cost you NOTHING.
You also benefit when I do mail outs which happens once or twice a year.
In the past subscribers received annual Christmas gifts like magnets, stickers, cards but I had to stop that cause the subscriber list got too big.
Upon subscribing to Tiki News, everyone gets a pile of old postcards with their order. Most people appreciate these, maybe some people don't but it is still a little extra effort on my part to store and stuff these cards into every order.

Thirdly, $12 is not enough money to really bitch about or lose a friend over so I think you should think about complaining before you launch into a rant. I understand that the real issue is that you want to read another issue of the mag. Believe me, so do I. I dig Tiki News I read the magazine over and over while I create it and then read it again after it comes out. It truly troubles me that I have not been able to produce more issues and to receive hate mail about this only bothers me more.

Fourthly (is that a word?), anyone who has produced anything – an event, a book/magazine, etc – knows that things that require effort take a lot of time. They also know that some projects die out for a variety of reasons and never see the light of day despite lots of work and time spent. So to produce ANYTHING at all is quite a feat and to produce something good is sort of an incredible feat. I have already accomplished that with Tiki News and will continue to achieve that incredible goal of actually finishing something. If you do not understand what I am talking about here ask Lee Joseph of Dionysus records how long he has worked to release records and how many have fallen through the cracks, ask Shag (someone who has an unbelievable work ethic and has produced hundreds of graphic projects) how many concepts have not come to fruition, ask Pizz (another successful artist) about his failed cartoon project.
Sven’s book was ready to be published nearly five years before it got published. Not that I am comparing a tome such as Sven’s book to Tiki News – I am just using that as an example.

Most other zines have fallen off the face of the earth or are on extended hiatus
Gearhead, Murder Can be Fun, Organ and Bongos, thriftscore, etc

All I can say at this point is hang in there and you will be duly rewarded.

Otto,
Tired of hanging on. Per your suggestion please stop my subscription and refund my money. Thanks. Your tiki oasis does kick ass though.
p.s. oh I did receive tiki news #17 (mar 2001).

View Profile of Tiki Rider Send a personal message to Tiki Rider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-10-08 10:42 am   Permalink

Oh, fabulous, another thread where people publicly post complaints!

Since opinions are being posted, here's mine. I'm fine with ANY length of time before the next issue of Tiki News. Vern's earlier post said it well - most "zines" in the heyday were one-man shows - no circulation dept, and practically zilch budget. I'm amazed that Otto offered refunds for those who won't wait - this is above and beyond the norm for this kind of thing. I've even had subscriptions to newsstand type magazines that went bust, and they made no refund offer whatsoever.

Otto's a busy guy, but a straight shooter. If he didn't reply to your email, send another one. What is the purpose of complaining on TC?

I especially don't get the melodrama about mail fraud, if Tiki News specifically didn't commit to a schedule. To "Mail Fraud Tiki" and "Tiki No News", you sound like you'll be real great contributors here on TC. Or are you explicitly breaking the rules here by using "multiple accounts to mask your identity" for public complaints? Do your principles against "fraud" apply to yourself?

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mail Fraud Tiki

Posted: 2005-10-09 7:10 pm   Permalink

"There's a sucker born every second"

Otto.

View Profile of Mail Fraud Tiki Send a personal message to Mail Fraud Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ErichTroudt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-09 9:59 pm   Permalink

Right after my last post on page 2, I received an email and a refund from Otto. No apology though.

I encourage all of those who feel slighted to request your refund.

I can't say I agree with Aquarj about complaining publicly on this matter. This thread could stop a newbie from sending their money, not knowing the product doesn't currently exist. To me this falls into the same category as the "Ebay slippery sellers" posts. Its people with a common interest looking out for one another. I'd be mad if nobody warned me of a problem.

I still feel the same as I did before about collecting money for something that hasn't existed in 4 years. Yeah, plenty of magazines have folded and never offered refunds, but how many are still actively collecting money?

I don't want to rehash this too much, because I did get my refund, and honestly, nothing is going to change. He's still gonna collect money, people are still going to send money, and most of the people that complain are still going to support his events.

View Profile of ErichTroudt Send a personal message to ErichTroudt  Email ErichTroudt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-10-10 10:13 am   Permalink

Quote:
This thread could stop a newbie from sending their money, not knowing the product doesn't currently exist. To me this falls into the same category as the "Ebay slippery sellers" posts. Its people with a common interest looking out for one another.

Sure, it makes sense to try to warn other TCers about "slippery sellers". But the Tiki News website clearly shows that the last issue was in 2001, so I don't quite see the "slippery" subterfuge that newbies have to be warned away from.

Otto made it clear in his earlier post that Tiki News has not folded - there's more to come, but there will be a wait. That should resolve it, right? For anyone who doesn't mind the wait, and wants to get on the list for the next issue, there's a way for them to subscribe. For any existing subscriber who finds the wait unacceptable, they can get a refund. But apparently it's not enough for those people to get a refund, Otto should remove any subscription possibility for everyone?

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mrs. pineapple
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-10 11:44 am   Permalink

FYI - Otto doesn't read Tiki Central with any sort of regularity. He checks in when he's got an event coming up (Tiki Art Show, Oasis, Etc.) or one of his friends alerts him to people posting slanderous comments about him
(YEAH, I SAID SLANDEROUS, HAVE AT ME....)

(I stand corrected... it IS libel, yeah so I've alerted Otto to the libelous comments...I slept through my law and ethics of media classes...)

Tiki Central has nothing to do with tiki news, so you're either preaching to a small choir when when you complain about him, or amusing the group of people who know Otto personally and who would all agree that:
A) TiKI News has been on hiatus for a long time, about 4.5 years, which coincidentally is the age + gestation period of one VanderVegas. (figure it out)
B) Otto is hardly a thief or even slightly dishonest, and to think he's living high on the hog with your ill gotten $12 is pretty ridiculous, but whatever.

Send him an email and then send him another one, but posting on Tiki Central won't get you anywhere, really.

[ This Message was edited by: mrs. pineapple 2005-10-10 17:24 ]

View Profile of mrs. pineapple Send a personal message to mrs. pineapple      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gigantalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-10 12:31 pm   Permalink

Slander is usually spoken, it's Liable if it's written.

View Profile of Gigantalope Send a personal message to Gigantalope  Email Gigantalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AquaZombie
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-10-10 2:50 pm   Permalink

Hanford and Mig would be the first to admit without Tiki News, there'd be no Tiki Central (much less a Tiki Magazine). You don't believe me, ask 'em. Otto virtually launched the entire tiki revival (with Sven). Along with being an innovator, a visionary and the guy who gave a voice to this subculture with his mag on his own dime and time, he's my pal and he's no crook. Both he and Baby Doe work their asses off for events like Tiki Oasis and Tease-o-rama with little financial payback. We're all in this to share our interests, talents and passions which are, let's face it, far outside the mainstream. No need to launch personal attacks based on erroneous perceptions. We're all on the same team here.

If money still bothers you, and I can understand, email Otto directly and he'll refund you, but it'll be your loss since that new issue is in the works and will be well worth the wait.

Aloha.

View Profile of AquaZombie Send a personal message to AquaZombie  Email AquaZombie Goto the website of AquaZombie     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2005-10-10 4:10 pm   Permalink

Quote:
Can you link me to this?

Not sure if you wanted an answer, but you can get there in two clicks from the subscribe page that indiscriminately preys on all those unwarned newbies.

The
subscribe page has only one link, for "more information on each issue". Click that.

Now click "Issues 13 - present". Most recent is Aug 2001.

Perhaps that's too much to expect for all those newbies this thread is supposedly helping, but if so, I wonder how they all find this thread to see the "warnings" posted here.

-Randy

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation