FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki The Root of Jimmy Buffet Bashing
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
The Root of Jimmy Buffet Bashing
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-23 1:23 pm   Permalink

I'm no Buffet fan but I just heard the easy listening guitar version of "Margaritaville" by Anthony Arizaga. It was ZAZZ!

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bwana Tiki
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-03-23 8:56 pm   Permalink

okay,
I was WRONG in my last post when I said I don't hate JB much more than anything else. as I dosed off last night some nasty canadians who send their half assed infotainment out to real americans on PRI via public radio felt it would be a neat idea to do a goofy little segment on parrotheads and ended it by playing margarittaville... the whole damn song, on a station that NEVER PLAYS MUSIC! jesus, he's like a god damn plegue. I hope the next time I hear about him is because the coast guard caught pirates drinking out of a mug made from his skull! and when they dump his mortal remains in the briny deep I hope they have the sence to dump his master tapes in with him. those nasty canadian even had the nerve to say the song was the sailors anthum, Hey man I sail a lot and no one ever hipped me to this little gem if they had I'd of sunk their boats on the spot and never set sail again. JB MUST BE STOPPED BEFORE HE RUINS EVERYTHING FOR EVERYONE. Maybe we could ship him off to canada.

May an angry god eat JB's spleen,

View Profile of Bwana Tiki Send a personal message to Bwana Tiki  Email Bwana Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikijackalope
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-24 02:54 am   Permalink

I recently asked the manager of our favorite quasi-tiki restaurant why they stopped playing exotica and went to so much Jimmy Buffet. He was sympathetic that we wanted a return to exotica and told us he'd keep it in the mix, but said that back when he used more exotica, the relaxed quality of it slowed the pace of his employees. He also noted that a lot of his customers were parrotheads. I'm not sure there is a counter-arguement to that as long as Buffet fans make the cash register ring and we're the only two asking for more exotica. I *do* know is that listening to entire Buffet albums in a tiki environment is like a Chinese water torture to me.

View Profile of tikijackalope Send a personal message to tikijackalope  Email tikijackalope     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-13 12:19 pm   Permalink

Just a friendly little bump, this is a good and interesting thread.

Appologies to those that get e-mail-outs.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-13 12:23 pm   Permalink

and let us remind ourselves that tikiwahine is a very NICE and CHARMING canadian!

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki mick
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-13 12:24 pm   Permalink

Die Buffy die!!!!!!!

View Profile of tiki mick Send a personal message to tiki mick      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-13 12:54 pm   Permalink

Oh, sh*t... duck & cover!

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-13 1:30 pm   Permalink

I think I just contracted foot-in-mouth disease from Tiki-Toa.

I promise, on my honor, to let this thread die.

Great Minds Drink Alike

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-13 11:21 pm   Permalink

I just did 2 Big Ass Bamboo shadow boxes for 2 1900's vintage hula skirts for the people you love to hate. And a bar too!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-14 12:43 am   Permalink

Bump
Compliments of Tikiwahine!
No charge

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MachTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-14 07:45 am   Permalink

Unga! I can't believe you just did that. STOP IT!!!!.

oh... did I just... F*CK!.

View Profile of MachTiki Send a personal message to MachTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aikiman44
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-15 09:08 am   Permalink

Last night I met Jimmy Buffet at the Sag Harbor Whaling Museum 2nd annual Luau. Sag Harbor is one of the coolest places on Earth. I suppose it's the East Coast's answer to the best of CA. Buffet introduced a local band, Costa Del Sol that was terrific. I ran into him later and he was very nice. I mentioned TC and the discussions of Tiki vs Buffet. He gazed away and said: "Let's see Tiki to me is..."
"Polynesian pop?" I prompted after a few moments.
He wasn't familiar with the term but said that he had uncles who fought in the South Pacific in WWII and brought back great stories about the culture, as well as Hawaii, that influenced him. He also said that he played with Martin Denny before he died and was a real fan, and that he (Buffet) had traced an ancestor to the Bounty!
To everyone's suprise he got up with the band and played 3 great songs: Van's Brown Eyed Girl, a Buffet song I don't know (I really never listened to his stuff), and ended with the Stones' You Can't Always Get What You Want.
I encouraged JB to join the discussions regarding his music and influence on TC. He was nice and friendly and played some great tunes.
All in all a great evening. Here's hoping we hear from him.

View Profile of aikiman44 Send a personal message to aikiman44  Email aikiman44 Goto the website of aikiman44     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-16 4:37 pm   Permalink

If a TIKI bar is pushing out exotica in favor of Buffy, then that is not a good thing. If all you really like is tropical decor and fruit-based drinks, then that's ok. But if (like me) you would like to see real TIKI culture have it's rightful place as a true art form, then watering it down for mass consumption by using Buffy instead of Baxter should be a crime with heavy jail time.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rev. Griz
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-07-17 09:40 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-07-16 16:37, lucas vigor wrote:
If a TIKI bar is pushing out exotica in favor of Buffy, then that is not a good thing. If all you really like is tropical decor and fruit-based drinks, then that's ok. But if (like me) you would like to see real TIKI culture have it's rightful place as a true art form, then watering it down for mass consumption by using Buffy instead of Baxter should be a crime with heavy jail time.

The problem is economics and education. Most people drink "tiki" drinks because they're sweet and you can't taste the booze. They don't differentiate between a daquiri, a margarita, and a mai-tai. The educated tikiphile drinks these drinks BECAUSE they're "tiki" and WANTS to taste a good rum in them. There are a lot more casual parrotheads than dedicated tikiphiles in the world, and if the true educated tikiphiles cannot keep their local tiki bar afloat playing exotica and serving Fogcutters, then the tiki bar is going to cater to the crowd that comes in and plunks down the money (yes I'm talking to you, Drift Lounge, Scottsdale, AZ).

Those of us here (and I can barely include myself since I'm only a novice tikiphile) are educated, but you can't fault the dog for licking his balls, it's what dogs do. You can't fault the uneducated for going to a real tiki bar and ordering a cosmopolitan, they don't know any better. The bar owner may be a true tikiphile, but he/she is a businessperson first and they have to keep the doors open.

As far as Buffett is concerned, I don't believe for a moment that he had anything at all to do with the decline of Tiki any more than he had anything to do with the decline of Googie and Space Age that happened at the same time. Fashions change, and what goes around comes around. Hip hugger bellbottoms and peasant blouses are back (thank the fashion gods!) and so are tikis in the popular consiousness, and Buffett, whether you like it or not, has contributed a great deal to that resurgence. Why? Because he's become very popular over the last few years, and everyone wants to ride the money train. So every retail crap outlet in the world is scraping the bottom of every barrel for anything even remotely tropical to throw at the wall and see if it sticks. Tikis are undeniably tropical, and everyone has good memories of Adventureland and the Tiki Hut at Disney, so here they are. They'll be gone again before you know it, but the tikiphiles will remain as always.

Now, if I put on my Parrothead hat, I could make a case that you tiki people are trying to hijack OUR bus. Margaritaville is not a place in space/time, it's a state of mind. As you variously pity, deride, or haranuge the uneducated tiki posers out there, so you also may be committing the same sin towards the Church of Buffett by running it down for its impact on you without understanding what it's really about. Jimmy Buffett is about living your life for now and doing what you are led by your inner desires to do. It's realizing that you truly can do anything you want if you try hard enough. The Parrothead lifestyle is not about Polynesia or the Caribbean or Mexico or Florida, although it touches on all those places. It's about taking what's right about all those places and putting them together into some sort of archetypal tropical paradise that you carry with you whereever you go in life. You don't have to physically travel to Margaritaville, in fact you can't, it doesn't exist, but you can take yourself to Margaritaville while you are sitting in the conference room enduring a boring meeting, or making dinner for your screaming kids...

Or even sitting on the beach somewhere.

View Profile of Rev. Griz Send a personal message to Rev. Griz  Email Rev. Griz Goto the website of Rev. Griz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Coco Loco
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-08-03 09:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-07-15 09:08, aikiman44 wrote:
Last night I met Jimmy Buffet at the Sag Harbor Whaling Museum 2nd annual Luau. Sag Harbor is one of the coolest places on Earth. I suppose it's the East Coast's answer to the best of CA. Buffet introduced a local band, Costa Del Sol that was terrific. I ran into him later and he was very nice. I mentioned TC and the discussions of Tiki vs Buffet. He gazed away and said: "Let's see Tiki to me is..."
"Polynesian pop?" I prompted after a few moments.
He wasn't familiar with the term but said that he had uncles who fought in the South Pacific in WWII and brought back great stories about the culture, as well as Hawaii, that influenced him. He also said that he played with Martin Denny before he died and was a real fan, and that he (Buffet) had traced an ancestor to the Bounty!

I encouraged JB to join the discussions regarding his music and influence on TC. He was nice and friendly and played some great tunes.
All in all a great evening. Here's hoping we hear from him.

I'm still waiting for JB to join our forums.

View Profile of Coco Loco Send a personal message to Coco Loco      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation