[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Taking Political Correctness to a New Height
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Taking Political Correctness to a New Height
cybertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-20 10:20 am   Permalink

I just got my February Fortean Times, and the first article titled "Cannibal Apology" relates the story of a Fijian tribe apologising for killing and (predictably) eating a Missionary back in 1867. From the tribes perspective, they believe they have been living under a curse since the incident, and that in atoning for the dinner, the curse will be lifted. After reading the article which remarks upon some of the societal problems these people have, it sounds like they need more government assistance than curse lifting, but I guess it's up to them to decide what works best.

I found several links to the story online by searching Google with "Thomas Baker" "Fiji". Here's one link to the story on BBC.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3263163.stm

http://www.cybertiki.com

View Profile of cybertiki Send a personal message to cybertiki  Email cybertiki Goto the website of cybertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-21 1:05 pm   Permalink

UMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!, you said "missionary", I feel that relates to religion, hence banned!!!!!!, how dare you!!, lock down quick before my overly sensitive brain goes into bozo mode!!!, oh the pain!!!!! hey c'mon you moderators, lock it fast.....I am dying here........

View Profile of twowheelin'tiki Send a personal message to twowheelin'tiki  Email twowheelin'tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-22 8:43 pm   Permalink

I'm not sure the Fijians should be so hard on themselves, based on what happened to Hawaii.

Sanford Dole, the son of a missionary, caused the downfall of the Hawaiian kingdom by the Bayonet Constitution in 1887 and the imprisonment and dethroning of Princess Liliokalani in 1893.

If I recall correctly, the missionaries outlawed the hula, which, in my Catholic-based opinion was an act which was a mortal sin.

Maybe I'm biased against a "save them from themselves" attitude.

However, not all missionaries were bad - Fr. Damien, a Dutch missionary on Molokai, should be a saint for his work improving the conditions for the lepers and is revered in Hawaii, who successfully lobbied to have his bones (of his right hand) returned to his grave in Molokai because of the mana contained in one's bones.

Closer to home, the verdict is still out on Fr. Serra.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
twowheelin'tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-22 10:40 pm   Permalink

you dare speak of religion!!!!!!, what balls!.good for you.FREEDOM OF SPEACH!!!

View Profile of twowheelin'tiki Send a personal message to twowheelin'tiki  Email twowheelin'tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cybertiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-22 11:22 pm   Permalink

Actually, it was rather less about religion than it was about main courses ... as in "What's for dinner?"

I can almost hear the kids whining "Awwww Mom, we had Missionary yesterday!" or perhaps worse "Leftovers for dinner again!?!"

cannibal@cybertiki.com

http://www.cybertiki.com

View Profile of cybertiki Send a personal message to cybertiki  Email cybertiki Goto the website of cybertiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traitor Vic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-24 10:53 pm   Permalink

UMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!, you said "missionary!" I feel that relates to a Missionary's Downfall (Rum, Rock Candy Syrup, Peach Brandy, Lime Juice, Pineapple Slice & Fresh Mint Sprigs... Grog Log p.54)! If I were one of those Barbaric Fijians I would choose this as a opportunity to Celebrate with a Missionary's Downfall! As a matter of fact, I think I might just do that right now anyhow.

View Profile of Traitor Vic Send a personal message to Traitor Vic  Email Traitor Vic     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-26 07:49 am   Permalink

in a related story, lenny bruce was posthumoously pardoned by New York Gov. Pataki for his "obscenity" in 1964.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A26299-2003Dec23.html

j$

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-24 7:54 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2003-12-22 20:43, christiki295 wrote:
I'm not sure the Fijians should be so hard on themselves, based on what happened to Hawaii.

Sanford Dole, the son of a missionary, caused the downfall of the Hawaiian kingdom by the Bayonet Constitution in 1887 and the imprisonment and dethroning of Princess Liliokalani in 1893.

If I recall correctly, the missionaries outlawed the hula, which, in my Catholic-based opinion was an act which was a mortal sin.

Maybe I was being too hard on the missionaries, as they also reduced the Hawaiian language to writing.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Philot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-25 08:00 am   Permalink

Ahhhh, so CyberTiki is a FT subscriber...

Quote:

Norton sent frequent cables to fellow rulers offering surprisingly well-informed advice. King Kamehameha of Hawaii (then the Sandwich Islands) was so taken with the Emperor's insight and understanding that towards the end of his life Kamehameha refused to recognize the U.S. State Department, saying he would deal only with representatives of the Norton Empire.

That's right folks, the only "government of the United States" recognized by king Kamehameha was none other than San Francisco's beloved Joshua Norton I, Emperor of the United States and Defender of Mexico.

Interpert that as you will. ;)

[ This Message was edited by: Philot on 2004-05-25 08:02 ]

View Profile of Philot Send a personal message to Philot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-25 08:09 am   Permalink

UMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!

You said Missionary! Rare, Medium Rare or Well Done?

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
finkdaddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-25 08:20 am   Permalink

I'd like to read-up on some of this history. What are some good books on the subject?

View Profile of finkdaddy Send a personal message to finkdaddy  Email finkdaddy Goto the website of finkdaddy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sweetpea
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-25 09:27 am   Permalink

Hmmmm, missionary,
why are y'all thinkin of religion?
That's not what comes to mind
when I read it...
uh....
sorry, I'll git my mind outta the gutter someday...
PEa

View Profile of sweetpea Send a personal message to sweetpea  Email sweetpea Goto the website of sweetpea     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Atomic Cocktail
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-25 10:17 am   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2003-12-22 20:43, christiki295 wrote If I recall correctly, the missionaries outlawed the hula, which, in my Catholic-based opinion was an act which was a mortal si

It was King Liholiho (Kamehameha II) who abolished the Kapu system for his own political purposes in 1819, before the missionaries arrived in Hawaii. One could argue Liholiho made their work easier by presenting them with a society in turmoil.

For a good overview of Hawiian History check out this NPS site:

http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/kona/historyt.htm

As for the Fijians, I think their problems stem from them not using "Trader Vic's Long Pig Bar-B-Q Sauce".

View Profile of Atomic Cocktail Send a personal message to Atomic Cocktail  Goto the website of Atomic Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lanikai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-05-25 1:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-12-22 20:43, christiki295 wrote:

However, not all missionaries were bad -

ah, yes. that old joke.
"The missionaries; they came here to Hawaii to do good but ended up doing very well..."

hey; why didnt the cannibals eat that clown?!
cuz he tatsted funny.

View Profile of lanikai Send a personal message to lanikai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-05-25 2:32 pm   Permalink

moving to Beyond Tiki....

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation