FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Absinthe... discuss.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
Absinthe... discuss.
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-21 5:23 pm   Permalink

I just got a big honking bottle of absinthe from the guys at a music house I use a lot... now, besides getting stoned of my keyster on green wormwood liqueur, what else can one do with it?

Do you think it might be good poured over ice cream? How might you cook with it?

There's lots of info on the old sugar-spoon thing online, but not so much on getting creative in the kitchen with it.

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-21 5:59 pm   Permalink

fish
You can send that bottle to me and I'll try to figure something out to do with it. When I'm done I'll send back the bottle. Promise!

www.flounderart.com

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-21 8:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-12-21 17:23, tikifish wrote:
besides getting stoned of my keyster on green wormwood liqueur...

Whoah! Why you wanna go down that path? Don't play with the green fairy juice, just get your keyster stoned and don't pour it on no ice cream or flambe anything. Besides, it's very bitter and would probably make anything taste pretty awful.

I hope you have better luck with it than I have had. I found a bottle at a local liquor store but I didn't get any noticable psychotropic effects. Since absinthe is technically illegal to sell in the US I figgered that this might've been a non-wormwood version. I mail ordered a kit to make my own absinthe (absinthe is illegal to sell in the US but not illegal to make (non-distilling method) or imbibe) with wormwood and all the other ingredients. No luck. Just got the same buzz I would've gotten from any 151 proof grain alcohol (the recommended 199 proof is not available in Florida). No green fairies. Maybe I should've snorted it. I might try making another bottle someday.

You probably have the real deal stuff. Enjoy it. Have you had it before? Let us know what you think of it.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-21 8:20 pm   Permalink

Indeed, it is the real deal, wormwood and all. Imported from some place like Bulgaria or something. Somewhere where laws are lax and life is cheap.

I must admit, I am a little a-feared of the thing.

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-21 8:43 pm   Permalink

I wouldn't be a-fearing it. Most of the "bad press" that absinthe got, back in the day, was due to it's effects on chronic users. Try it when you don't have to get up early the next day. It really does taste bad though. Really really bad..have the sugar ready.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-21 9:11 pm   Permalink

Quote:

..have the sugar ready.

......and an extra ear!

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-21 11:25 pm   Permalink

There was a good article on absinthe in Modern Drunkard

http://www.moderndrunkardmagazine.com/issues/11-02/11_02_absinthe.htm

I've wanted to become an absinthe addict ever since reading John Glassco's charming "Memoires of Montparnasse" -- a recommended read (it may be out of print). I've yet to try it but I see that there are about a half dozen different brands on our (privatized) Alberta liquorstore shelves.

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-12-22 12:58 am   Permalink

Absinthe can be used to make one of the best cocktails ever. Even in New Orleans, where the drink was invented and is still served, it is made with pernod or herbsaint instead of absinthe, but Absinthe was what was used in the original recipe 100 years ago (give or take).

Put 2 or 3 icecubes in a cocktail shaker. Throw in a sugar cube (or a little simple syrup - I like a little falernum too), a half dozen shakes of peychauds bitters, and a jigger of good bourbon or rye whiskey (the original recipe called for rye). DO NOT USE CANADIAN WHISKEY. Shake it up until it's good and cold.

In a separate small rocks glass, put in about 1/2 teaspoon of absinthe. Roll the absinthe around in the glass so that it coats the sides of the glass. Strain the contents of the shaker (strain out the ice) into the absinth coated glass. Garnith with a lemon twist.

Now THAT is a cocktail!

PS: I have never had the real thing with real absinthe. The closest I got was using Absente, which is an absinthe substitute that uses southen wormwood rather than wormwood. The thujone content in Absente is just under the legal limit.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-22 03:51 am   Permalink

PiPhiRho, what's the name of that cocktail?

I think Absente was what I bought at the liquor store.

Kon-Hemsby
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-22 05:59 am   Permalink

I bought some absinthe a little while ago and drank it with some friends. We soaked a sugar lump in anbinthe, burnt it for a while and then stirred it into a glass of absinthe. It tasted bitter, but after about 10 minutes I was lying of the floor giggling. Great stuff.

You can also make a cocktail using a sugar cude, absinthe and champagne. Haven't tried it myself though.

View Profile of Kon-Hemsby Send a personal message to Kon-Hemsby  Email Kon-Hemsby     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suzywong
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-22 06:19 am   Permalink

SAZERAC (cocktail)

The following web page has some history and a picture of the famous Sazerac glass from the Roosevelt (now Fairmont hotel)....

http://cocktails.about.com/library/weekly/aa040898.htm

More info:
While not the city's most common drink, the Sazerac is another New Orleans original. The cocktail used to call for a splash of absinthe to wet the glass before rye whiskey was added. Eventually the mildly toxic and hallucinogenic spirit was outlawed and Sazerac drinkers had to settle for Herbsaint for a hint of licorice in the glass. The Sazerac Bar in the Fairmont Hotel (123 Baronne St., 529-7111) is the home of the cocktail.

Absinthe used to be popular in New Orleans but as its own cocktail. In the traditional preparation, the bitter absinthe was poured over a sugar cube to soften its taste. The drink was then diluted with water. Special spoons and funnels were created for serving it and can still be found in New Orleans antique shops. While absinthe is still illegal, the spirit Absente is a refined version that lacks the wormwood content that spiked absinthe. Absente is only legal in one other state besides Louisiana. The Old Absinthe House (240 Bourbon St., 523-3181) offers the cocktail.

View Profile of suzywong Send a personal message to suzywong  Email suzywong     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-22 06:20 am   Permalink

Yes Kno-Hemsby, the guy who gave it to me also reported tales of giggling to ones self...

Sounds like fun! Until the hangover...

Trader Woody
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-22 06:47 am   Permalink

Quite a lot of pubs in the UK serve absinthe these days, but you won't find many people going through the whole sugar-lump ritual. Usually it's downed in one, followed swiftly with a beer chaser! I actually quite like the aniseed drinks like ouzo & pernod on a hot day, but absinthe is just too brutal to enjoy as a taste experience.

The few times I've had with it have been pretty good, though I'd advise you to try the absinthe early on in your evening of drinking. The temptation to go onto absinthe while already tipsy should really be avoided at all costs unless you want to miss the following day...

Trader Woody

View Profile of Trader Woody Send a personal message to Trader Woody  Email Trader Woody     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
atomictonytiki
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2003-12-22 11:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-12-22 05:59, Kon-Hemsby wrote:
You can also make a cocktail using a sugar cude, absinthe and champagne. Haven't tried it myself though.

I think i'm right in saying the Cocktail you described is called "Death in the Afternoon" and was invented by Ernest Hemmingway, and a quick check on google brings up a recipe here..

http://www.absintheusa.com/cocktails.htm

View Profile of atomictonytiki Send a personal message to atomictonytiki  Goto the website of atomictonytiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-12-22 11:58 am   Permalink

I bought a bottle of Herbsaint a few years ago for Sazeracs and the occasional tropical drink that calls for Pernod. There's barely an inch gone in that bottle!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation