FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Absinthe... discuss.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
Absinthe... discuss.
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-14 08:14 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-13 09:43, MadDogMike wrote:
I try to keep myself educated on various subjects so I decided to look up the word "louche" and here's what I found;

Origin: 181020; < F: lit., cross-eyed; OF losche < L luscus blind in one eye
Definition: (Adjective) Disreputable or sordid in a rakish or appealing way

Aha, basically a combination of a lush and a douche! Actually, here is a nice description of the reasons, tradition and poetry behind it:

http://www.absinthefever.com/absinthe/ritual

I must say, coming from the Polynesian pop ritual traditions (as shown in Tiki Modern chapter 4), I was rather predisposed to fire, so the lighting of the sugar cube appealed to me, but I bow to the above mentioned reasons to fore-go it.

Since I don't have much to ad to the wonderful and wise ruminations on this thread, here is another image to illustrate it:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-14 10:39 am   Permalink

Wonderful informative posts, truly enjoying them. I just got my two books yesterday so have some reading to do (Conrad, Absinthe History in a Bottle & Guthrie, A Taste for Absinthe/cocktail recipes). I am carefully planning my first Absinthe encounter. I am not going to try an inferior brand or taste improperly. I am waiting for my spoon/glass to come and will buy a decent brand and louche it properly. I like licorice flavor, so should be a positive experience.

I keep seeing that you should use cold filtered water. Is a cold bottled water appropriate? Should I use the sugar cubes that are made for Absinthe...or is that just a hype?

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-14 2:13 pm   Permalink

I was in Barnes & Noble today and looked through Kate Simon's Absinthe Cocktails (not to be confused with Kate Simmons aka Tiki-Kate)

I don't know if you consider the sacrilege but check out this recipe

My Oh My Ty!
"Absinthe meets the mai tia meets the French Caribbean in this tiki-fabulous cooler. Absinthe and rum are old friends (see Dr Funk), and this drink's almond and orange elements are gorgeous with the anise-forward spirit"

1 oz aged rum
1 oz white rhum agricole
1 oz freshly squeezed lome juice
1/2 oz Clement Creole Shrubs orange liqueur
1/2 oz orgeat syrup
1/4 Absinthe vert
1/2 oz Simple syrup*
Fresh mint for garnish

OK, so I took a picture of the page with my cell phone and it's not real clear, I think it says 1/2 ounce Another recipe I found on the internet said 3-4 dashed simple syrup.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-14 2:45 pm   Permalink

I see that same named recipe in the [A Taste for Absinthe/Guthrie]...with some call names. Have you tried it yet Mike? I don't have most of those ingredients but will get them, if it is a decent cocktail.

1 oz fresh lime juice
1/8 oz Simple Syrup
1/2 oz Rhum Clement Creole Shrubb Liquor
1/2 oz Premier Essence Orgeat
1/4 oz Viex Pontalier Absinthe
1 oz La Favorite Blanc Rhum
1 oz Flor De Cana Rum
Sprig Mint for Garnish

Place ingredients in shaker with 3 ices cubes, shake well, strain and pour into ice filled mug and serve with mint garnish.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-14 6:11 pm   Permalink

Marlene, most of my cocktail information is only what I have read - I'm not a big drinker and I've never tried anything with Absinthe in it. So I'm afraid I can't offer any help

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-15 04:42 am   Permalink

I'm in the same boat...LOL Kind of a lightweight but willing to experiment. I tend to find my favorites and stick to them. When I go to Forbidden Island I suck down 4 or 5 Monkey Pods...they are delish!!! I make Beach Bum Berry Mai Tais for some of my parties, but they are not my favorite drink...shhhh don't tell any body, I would prefer a Gin & Tonic. One of my favorite drinks is a Brave Bull (Kahlua & White Tequila over ice) which appears to be my staple now at The Hideaway (our Sacramento Tiki Bar).

I have always been intrigued by the mystery of Absinthe, so looking forward to trying it and hope to get it right the first time.

Mr. Moto
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-11-15 7:07 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-11-14 10:39, VampiressRN wrote:
I keep seeing that you should use cold filtered water. Is a cold bottled water appropriate? Should I use the sugar cubes that are made for Absinthe...or is that just a hype?

Bottled water is really only necessary if the tap water where you live has an "off" flavor that might adversely affect the taste of the absinthe. If your tap water is good, use it; if not, I like to use bottled spring water. And, yes, the colder the better. A carafe, brouilleur, or fountain filled with ice water that you can slowly pour or drip into the absinthe is ideal, but a sports bottle filled with water and stuck in the freezer 20 minutes beforehand will work. Any kind of sugar cube is OK; the Domino dots work just fine. Some folks find that properly prepared absinthe is sufficiently sweet on its own, however. I personally rarely use sugar. Try it with and without and see what you like best.

Regarding the My Oh My Ty. I've tried it (the recipe in A Taste for Absinthe) and it's actually pretty good. I did substitute Clement Premiere Canne for the La Favorite Blanc, Cockspur for the Flor de Cana 7 year, and Trader Tiki for the Premier Essence Orgeat, since that's what I had on hand. A little on the sweet side at first--largely thanks to the Creole Shrubb, I think--but it mellows as the ice melts a little. The Vieux Pontarlier (a nice, fruity absinthe) complements the rhum agricole, orange, and almond flavors nicely. I still prefer the Trader Vic original, but this is not a bad Mai Tai.

By the way, there are also recipes in this book for absinthe-fueled versions of the Dr. Funk and Ti Punch. Worth checking out!

View Profile of Mr. Moto Send a personal message to Mr. Moto      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-16 8:04 pm   Permalink

I was at Hi-Time liquor store last year when I bought my Absinthe, they recommended Pernod and told me that I didn't have to use the water and sugar mixture and that I could just drink it as it is with this particular brand. I am no expert so this thread is helping put things in perspective. However I would like to use up this bottle. I wish we could get more recipes. Also I already have the regular Pernod which I use whenever the recipes call for it. Maybe I should just use it by itself as was recommended previously. I wish I had the proper glass that you are suppose to drink it in, they are quiet costly so I haven't bought them yet. Any other recipes will be appreciated specially ones that use more than an 1/8 of an oz.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-16 8:11 pm   Permalink

This is not too badly priced. That is the kind of glass and spoon I am going to order.

http://www.amazon.com/KegWorks-Absinthe-Accessories-Starter-Kit/dp/B001ID6UT8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289967058&sr=8-1

ka'lenatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-18 7:15 pm   Permalink

I've tried it both ways, (orig. slow way with the iced water and cubes and As a mixer) must say that as not a big fan of black liquorish, I kinda like it. It works well with raspberry vodka and also mixed with champagne I did notice the quote from the trader himself.
"The usually directed method for the following is a rigmarole that nobody's going to do to make a drink. Do it this way: pour Pernod and a little sugar syrup over shaved ice in a old fashion glass, fill with water. stir gently- not to bruise to much."
Trader Vic bartender's guide

View Profile of ka'lenatiki Send a personal message to ka'lenatiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Moto
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-11-19 5:53 pm   Permalink

That's called an absinthe frappe and it's quite tasty. Try this recipe some time:

1 oz. absinthe
1 oz. Cointreau
3 oz. cold water

Shake with ice and strain into a tumbler filled with crushed or shaved ice. Serve with straw.

Great on a hot summer day.

Quote:

On 2010-11-16 20:04, hiltiki wrote:
Any other recipes will be appreciated specially ones that use more than an 1/8 of an oz.

The aforementioned book, A Taste of Absinthe, features a number of very good cocktail recipes containing absinthe. You also may want to check out the classic cocktail recipes with absinthe as an ingredient (over 100!) listed at the Wormwood Society:

http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=25&Itemid=218

In addition to the tiki drinks calling for absinthe, I'm partial to the Sazerac, the Cocktail a la Louisiane, the Corpse Reviver #2, the Fourth Degree, the Arsenic and Old Lace, the Monkey Gland, the Brunelle, the Chrysanthemum, and the Death in the Afternoon, among others.

View Profile of Mr. Moto Send a personal message to Mr. Moto      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TorchGuy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-20 04:58 am   Permalink

Oh my, Death in the Afternoon.

I'll say this about absinthe: While it doesn't make you hallucinate, it does have a different effect. Case in point:

I'm not usually a heavy drinker. I drink for flavor above effect. But once a year, I attend a local fantasy/sci-fi convention, and I tend to drink heavily at its after-hours parties. This year, the first night I drank an awful lot of good stuff - by now I know the people to talk to, so consumption included some $300-per-bottle anejo tequila a party's bartender had a friend retrieve from his hotel room in a glass (most parties use plastic cups for good reasons, mainly the packing of 60 people into hotel suites built to hold 15). I got home at 5 AM, ate something to try to cut the alcohol, and went right to bed. I woke up at 2 the next afternoon, not hungover but actually still drunk.

The following night, I attended a friend's birthday party as my first event of the night. Someone brought Lucid, I brought Kubler and the sugar, spoons and glasses. At first, just basic louche prep absinthe was going around, but then someone showed up with Champagne. For those who don't know, Death in the Afternoon (supposedly an invention of Ernest Hemingway) consists of your standard prep, sugar and water, with Champagne substituted for water. It's very potent and very tasty. That night, I had easily as much, if not a bit more alcohol than I had the previous night, but about 50% of that was absinthe. Result: I got home at 5 AM, ate something, went to bed, and woke up 8 hours later feeling absolutely great - sober and well-rested!

Your mileage may vary, but...

Mr. Moto, what is my best option for buying a relatively inexpensive absinthe fountain? I don't mind it being simple, or having plastic spots - I just can't pay $150-200 for anything right now. There used to be a $45 glass model sold by one "Bonnecaze & Cie" on Amazon.com, but I can't find it now.

View Profile of TorchGuy Send a personal message to TorchGuy  Email TorchGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Moto
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-11-20 05:53 am   Permalink

The Death in the Afternoon cocktail was indeed invented Ernest Hemingway; it first appeared in print as his contribution to a book of celebrity cocktail recipes published in 1935 and it's named after a book he wrote in 1932 on bullfighting entitled Death in the Afternoon. Supposedly he invented it one afternoon aboard a fishing boat that had been swamped on a sandbar by a storm. Absinthe makes an appearance in a number of his novels and short stories too, by the way.

It's a delicious drink, but beware: it's highly intoxicating. I rarely drink more that 1-2 at a time. Interesting idea using the traditional preparation method and substituting champagne for water. Never tried it that way. Hemingway's original recipe reads: "Pour one jigger absinthe into a Champagne glass. Add iced Champagne until it attains the proper opalescent milkiness. Drink three to five (!) of these slowly." I typically use 1/2 oz. of absinthe and top with champagne; I find that more absinthe overwhelms the drink if you're using a traditional champagne flute. I'd also recommend using a sweeter absinthe; I've tried it with Lucid once or twice and wasn't impressed with the results, though it might not be bad with sugar added. My current favorite is Delaware Phoenix Meadow of Love, which presents with notes of candied anise and violets.

And if I may, here's a recipe of my own that you might enjoy. It's a variation on Hemingway's drink:

Death at Dawn

1 oz. blanche (white, or clear) absinthe (I use La Clandestine, but Kubler would work)
1/2 oz. St Germain Elderflower liqueur
2 large slices fresh, ripe white peach
2-3 oz. chilled Rose champagne

Muddle the peach in a mixing glass. Add absinthe, elderflower liqueur, and ice. Shake well. Strain (or double strain if you don't like peach puree floating in your drink) into a champagne flute and top with rose champagne. Enjoy!

Torch Guy, regarding your question about absinthe fountains, I'd recommend Absinthe Devil, an online vendor of absinthe accessories. I've dealt with them many times in the past (I bought my own fountain from them several years ago) and have always been impressed with their service:

http://www.absinthedevil.com/Absinthe_Fountains_s/3.htm

They have some nice glass fountains that are fairly inexpensive (they start at $49.95). Also, they have sales several times a year (anywhere from 10-30% off) that you can take advantage of if you register at the site and sign up to receive their e-mail updates. Hope this helps!

TorchGuy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-21 03:09 am   Permalink

Thank you for the recommend. And the recipe -- I adore St. Germain. As does the local bartender I like*, so I'll pass him this recipe.

*I refer to St. Germain as "magic in a bottle". His comments on it: "St. Germain is to a bartender what bacon is to a chef. If a drink isn't very good, you can add a bit of this and it stands a fair chance of getting better"

View Profile of TorchGuy Send a personal message to TorchGuy  Email TorchGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-11-21 1:29 pm   Permalink

I picked up a bottle of St. George Absinthe Verte yesterday, and I must say that I'm very impressed with it. The botanicals are really front and center, and aren't overwhelmed by the anise. Something in the mix (the stinging nettles?) gives it a mild numbing effect. It has very dark and cloudy louche, which I find quite lovely, this photo doesn't do it justice. My hat's off to the distillers.

Weblog:
Eye of the Goof

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai  Goto the website of MrBaliHai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation