FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Absinthe... discuss.
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
Absinthe... discuss.
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-28 08:45 am   Permalink

I received my spoon, glass and sugar cubes. Next month I hope to have enough money to purchase a decent bottle.

Is it OK to store Absinthe in the fridge? Seems like if you are going to all the trouble to use cold water to louche, then the Absinthe should be cold too.

I believe I read 5 parts Absinthe to 1 part water...so think I am almost good to go.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-11-28 09:50 am   Permalink

Vamp, I think you meant 1 part Absinthe to 5 parts water?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Moto
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-11-28 7:53 pm   Permalink

Hope so! 5 parts absinthe to 1 part water'll take the paint off your house!

No need to store the bottle in your refrigerator. In fact, doing so may actually cause the anethole (a product of the anise) in your absinthe to crystallize and come out of suspension, causing "floaties" to appear in your bottle. This probably won't harm the absinthe (the floaties will likely disappear if you bring the bottle to room temp), but it is unattractive.

Absinthe needs to be stored in a cool, dark place (like a cupboard or a cellar), at or just below room temp. You want to keep it out of the sunlight, since UV rays can break down the chlorophyll that produces absinthe's famous green tint, turning it a brown or "feuille morte" ("dead leaf") color. This won't affect the taste, but it isn't as pretty as the natural "verte" color.

Another thing: always store absinthe standing up, not on its side like a bottle of wine. Reason being that the high ABV (alcohol by volume) of absinthe--which usually ranges in the 55-72% range--will eat into the cork, eventually ruining the absinthe.

Finally, don't worry about your absinthe going bad once you open it. A little breathing time--contact with oxygen--is actually good for it. Helps the flavors open up. And because of the high ABV, it won't spoil for quite some time. I have bottles of absinthe in my basement that have been open for 2+ years (by "open" I mean exposed to oxygen--I still keep them stoppered with a cork, naturally) that taste great.

Actually, back to your original question: there's really no reason to keep *any* spirit in the fridge/freezer unless you're planning on taking shots of it. If you're using it for mixing or cocktails, it needs to be at room temp--otherwise it won't dilute properly when you shake it and you'll end up with an overly strong drink.

Other, low ABV mixers--like vermouth--should always be refrigerated, of course.

View Profile of Mr. Moto Send a personal message to Mr. Moto      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TorchGuy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-08 07:06 am   Permalink

Mr. Moto, have you ever found or heard of any good use for Le Tourment Verte? I first had this stuff, as I think I noted, at a friend's house - he bought and enjoyed Lucid in Washington, moved to California and, unable to find the storied BevMo, hit a local liquor dump, and it was all they had. I refused to finish my glass, which wouldn't louche, and he called it "barely tolerable" and later claimed he was able to get a weak louche using ginger ale, though I haven't seen this in action.

I have a mini of it, and it smells like aftershave - tastes like it smells, too. I took it to Murray at the Zig Zag in Seattle, who stocks about 8 absinthes, and he said "Nope, can't do anything with it. We were sent a bottle. Tried it, didn't like it, sent it back." Usually, I consider Murray's advice final, or nearly so, but have you ever seen any remotely good use for this heavily-marketed, Scope-blue, anise-light stuff? I guess this shows that not all bad absinthe is Czech...

View Profile of TorchGuy Send a personal message to TorchGuy  Email TorchGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Moto
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2010-12-08 4:20 pm   Permalink

I've never had a cocktail with LTV in it that tasted good. Ever. Admittedly, I've only tried a few, so take that for what it's worth. The official LTV website does feature some "signature cocktails," if you want to test your mettle. I feel dirty linking to it, but here ya go:

http://www.letourmentvert.com/cocktails.php

I hear it's swell for de-clogging drains too. Pardon my sarcasm; it's just dreadful stuff by any reasonable standard.

If you want to try a really nice absinthe cocktail (ahem), have Murray mix you up one of these. I call it the:

Green-Eyed Lady

1 1/2 ounces white rum
1/2 ounce passionfruit syrup (3/4 oz. if you make your own using 1:1 simple syrup and passionfruit puree)
1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice
1/4 ounce absinthe (Vieux Carre works very nicely--no LTV!)
1/4 ounce white creme de cacao
1/2 ounce fresh egg white

Add all ingredients to cocktail shaker and give a hard dry shake. Add ice and shake hard again. Strain into chilled cocktail glass and float a single mint leaf on top. Play Sugarloaf at top volume and smile.

View Profile of Mr. Moto Send a personal message to Mr. Moto      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jason Wickedly
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-08 8:19 pm   Permalink

Don the Beachcomber has added a 1934 Zombie made with absinthe to their menu. I tried it, it was pretty tasty. There's a $2 upcharge for it.

View Profile of Jason Wickedly Send a personal message to Jason Wickedly  Email Jason Wickedly Goto the website of Jason Wickedly     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-10 1:25 pm   Permalink

Ted Haigh once made me a "Monkey Gland". That was yummy. And the historic concept behind it makes it a classic.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-12-10 4:44 pm   Permalink

"some accused Voronoff's experiments of introducing AIDS to humans"

Gin, OJ, grenadine, and a slosh of absinthe - sounds harmless to me

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VampiressRN
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2010-12-10 6:16 pm   Permalink

Holy cow...good thing I checked on that ratio thing...LOL. Thanks for the info on storage.

View Profile of VampiressRN Send a personal message to VampiressRN  Email VampiressRN Goto the website of VampiressRN     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-15 12:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2010-12-08 20:19, Jason Wickedly wrote:
Don the Beachcomber has added a 1934 Zombie made with absinthe to their menu. I tried it, it was pretty tasty. There's a $2 upcharge for it.

Jason, thanks the post. I was at Don's this weekend and tried the original Zombie with the Absinthe. It was pretty good. The bartender Doug also had this handout that talked about the history on Don, the Zombie and Absinthe.

First time that I have read about Don's speakeasy Ernie's Place.

We need to have our Zombie expert John-O try the Absinthe version.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wayfarer
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-12-19 12:56 am   Permalink

I'd love to try the stuff, make a real zombie but I'm not sre if I can have it. The Marines in Japan are barred from using/having it because the Corps still considers it a hallucinogen. I'm looking into whether or not my branch of service has followed suite.

View Profile of Wayfarer Send a personal message to Wayfarer  Goto the website of Wayfarer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TorchGuy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-28 05:39 am   Permalink

The Zombie as made at TV's is quite tasty with absinthe instead of Pernod, but I don't have a preference; both are different, but equally good. Absinthe isn't sweetened, so it makes for a drier drink. Which way I order it depends on mood, and what else I've had.

Mr. Moto, have you tried Pacifique Absinthe from Pacific Distillery in Washington? I got a chance to try this; a friend bought a bottle, I brough my spoons, glasses and some sugar, and the result was very nice. Very pretty opalescent louche that had a flame-orange tint when held up to a bright light and a bluish edge.

View Profile of TorchGuy Send a personal message to TorchGuy  Email TorchGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Moto
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-01-28 09:59 am   Permalink

Yep. Pacifique is one of my favorites; I'd venture to say that it's one of the top 5 absinthes commercially available in the US at the moment.

congawa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-01-28 10:30 am   Permalink

The DTB "Original" Zombie with absinthe is indeed delicious. As is Dave of the Purple Orchid's powerful (and bubbling, thanks to the dry ice) French Zombie, which also tastes like there is absinthe present as well.

I'm still working through a bottle of Herbsaint I bought a year and a half ago (making a great deal of whiskey Sazeracs with it as well) so I haven't bought any actual genuine absinthe yet. However, I've noticed Bev Mo has 50ML airline bottles of a couple of brands, which I might try first.

Caltiki Brent

View Profile of congawa Send a personal message to congawa  Goto the website of congawa     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mr. Moto
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-01-28 12:20 pm   Permalink

You may want to check out the brand reviews at the Wormwood Society before you do:

http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/index.php?option=com_jreviews&Itemid=&url=Reviews-Directory_d1/

I'm not aware of any genuine absinthes that are sold in airplane size bottles. Oh, and I agree: a DTB Zombie made with absinthe is indeed a beautiful thing!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation