FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Tiki Past: Seattle, Wash
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Tiki Past: Seattle, Wash
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-05 01:24 am   Permalink

Sigh, yes, the demise of sign art from neon sculpture to plastic sheeted can. All in the name of the x-tra buck saved. That style of sign with its triple/quadruple native shields, double torches and Tiki head was used for other places too, as can be seen at the Kon-Tiki Tuscon and the Leilani Wisconsin...(there was another that I can't remember right now...not the Kapu Kai, that one is different...)

But I am happily amazed that they kept the Tiki and the torches as graphics on the sign at least!

Yep that big thing on the Polynesian is a Witco mask, there is a second, different one hidden by the porte cochere, on the other side. The trim on the the p.c. is Witco too, compare it to the Tiki Motor Inn Lake George on p.206 BOT.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Mayor Of Exotica
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-06 11:21 am   Permalink

Great posts, great images! Thanks, folks!

View Profile of The Mayor Of Exotica Send a personal message to The Mayor Of Exotica  Email The Mayor Of Exotica Goto the website of The Mayor Of Exotica     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-14 09:48 am   Permalink

Sabu, that Polynesia postcard is one of of my favorite pieces of paper ephemera from there ! I've got to find one of those one day.

Here's a few more :

Page on Canlis, also from the "You Can't Eat Mt. Rainier" book :

Polynesia postcard:

Tropics postcard:

Molokai Apartments, on Capitol Hill :

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Double Crown
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2006-02-16 11:35 am   Permalink

This may be old news, but appropriate to this topic. Trader Vic's will have a new restaurant in Bellevue, WA, just 8 miles east of Seattle. I believe it's just a few weeks away from opening! Their website is: www.tradervicsbellevue.com

Sean
Double Crown Records / The Continental Magazine
P.O. Box 4336 - Bellingham, WA 98227-4336
www.dblcrown.com
http://www.doublecrownrecords.com

View Profile of Double Crown Send a personal message to Double Crown  Email Double Crown Goto the website of Double Crown     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-04-21 9:51 pm   Permalink

I've devoted a complete thread to the Hawaii Pavillion at the Seattle World's Fair here:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=19214&forum=1&start=last&

Sabu

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
woofmutt
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-10 9:15 pm   Permalink

A few years back I noticed an apartment building not far from me (West Seattle). The building itself was fairly nondescript midcentury but the fence surrounding it had molded concrete posts decorated with a tiki/primitive face. Somewhat crude, with the image slightly off center, the posts looked very DIY. Age had made them look much better. The place didn't have an exotic name or any other signs of once greater glory.

A while back they replaced the concrete fence posts with white picket. (Better yet: Plastic white picket!) But I was walking by the other day and saw that the lampo postst by the gate was still original. (Topped with clashing Victorian gas lamp style fixture.)

This lo-fi picture is a phone image. I had to hold the phone over a high gate.

View Profile of woofmutt Send a personal message to woofmutt  Email woofmutt Goto the website of woofmutt     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DJ Terence Gunn
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-13 5:37 pm   Permalink

The Tradewinds was before my time in Seattle, and it later became My Suzie's Lounge, and now the Pampas (Pompous) Room. Apparently there had been a fire in the place and most of The Tradewinds decor had been destroyed. I'm not sure how large The Tradewinds had been, as I know My Suzie's Lounge was fairly small, but The Pampas Room (Club), which is very large and has a stage, by-passes and goes below what was once My Suzie's Lounge, just below El Gaucho. Judging by the current structure and layout it's difficult to imagine what the space The Tradewinds occupied looked like, and if it went underground as The Pampas Room does. And to add confusion, there's a place, or used to be, called The Big Picture, which is accessible via the El Gaucho entrance, continuing underground round the North side of The Pampas Room and filling out directly underneath what was once My Suzie's Lounge.

The second time I met Otto Von Stroheim was here in Seattle in the mid-1990s and myself and a few friends, all of us dressed in vintage suits, took Otto round to a few places of potential interest to him, one of them being My Suzie's Lounge. Otto had his camera and was hoping to shoot a few shots of any remaining decor that had survived and been leftover from The Tradewinds, no doubt to include in Tiki News. I recall us walking into My Suzie's and seeing 3 or 4 motley, stereo-typically white-trash-looking patrons at the bar, who excitedly pleaded 'Hey, Guys! Come on in and have a drink!' We were all a bit uncomfortable and perhaps a little scared (believe me, if you saw these folks, you'd have been a bit scared, too!), and the place was dark and a total shambles, so we replied, almost in unison, 'No thanks. We're not stopping.' We did, however, inquire whether there was any decor left over from The Tradewinds, and to the left of the entrance (we noticed just as we were told) there was a large pile of Polynesian/Tiki items, bamboo, and decor. I believe there was some kind of waterfall and bridge or a pond or something. Otto took a snapshot or two. Perhaps he still has the shots? If so, now's an apt time to post 'em. 'Course, that was a while ago.

Has anyone on TC ever been to The Tradewinds in Seattle? It would certainly be interesting to hear about it, what it looked like, the drinks and food it served, etc. It would be even more interesting to see photos of the place.

[ This Message was edited by: DJ Terence Gunn 2008-04-14 05:21 ]

View Profile of DJ Terence Gunn Send a personal message to DJ Terence Gunn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TorchGuy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-04-26 04:30 am   Permalink

I only recently got into tiki and Poly pop in a big way, but I've lived just outside Seattle for my entire 29 years. I can go check up on some of those listed addresses, bring my digital camera, and come report on what I find. Another friend of mine, who drives and has a car (unlike me) will love this idea! So far, here are a few things I know:

That motel, with the Space Needle in the background? Oh, how I wish it still had a tiki sign! But... it DOES have a very funky-looking pool building, and I've often considered going in to explore. This gives me a great excuse!

The Seattle World's Fair (Century 21 Exposition) Hawai'i Pavillion building survived into the early 90s in the Fun Forest amusement area. It was used as storage, and I was inside it a few times. It consisted of a circular roof, with peaks and carved wood top beams, walls... and not much else. Not even a light fixture hanging in the center.

No remains exist of anything Poly on Pier 51. I don't know exactly which pier that is, but I do know that building is no longer extant.

One bit of Seattle Tiki culture was Leilani Lanes, a spectacular bowling alley in the Greenwood area of north Seattle. It had, amoong other things, a lot of carved wood ceiling beams, a circular fountain in the lobby, a lunch counter with some wonderfully tacky 60s decor in gold and Chinese red, and a lounge complete with leather swivel bucket chairs, a carved tiki on the wall, and the coolest fireplace I've ever seen: a hammered copper hood on six chains, which hung further down to hold a thick wood frame surrounding a smoked glass pane on which sat a metal trough filled with lava rocks, with gas flames flickering through. Beneath it was a lava rock waterfall lit by a green spotlight, and one could stand directly in front of it and look down through the glass into the waterfall! Does anyone know whether these were actually as-built equipment: the many, many bowling lanes had the usual gold-and-white screens with lights to indicate which pins remained, and an oval with what would normally the the Brunswick crown, which lights up when a strike is hit... Instead, the light covers were tikis, all molded plastic and all identical. They definately LOOKED original!

I'm still kicking myself over this: it was running well, had great food and good (if ordinary) drinks, was popular... and then suddenly I find out it's gobne. It was all so fast. Closed-and-contents-auctioned-and-demolished, boom, just like that. That was over a year ago. Anyone guess what's there now? If you guessed a parking lot...

...it's worse. NOTHING is there. It's a vacant lot. The buyers (who paid a lot for it) did nothing.

I'll do some investigating and see what I can dig up. If I'm lucky, I'll find some tiki bits poking around... I'm already starting to get that hair-standing-on-end sensation I'm told is common when one pulls back some bushes or looks in a dusty corner of a bar and finds a mysterious, ancient-looking tiki carving glaring out at them.

View Profile of TorchGuy Send a personal message to TorchGuy  Email TorchGuy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-31 10:15 am   Permalink

I think I found a fresh discovery!!!!!! Its taken me about 1/2 hour to find this thread Im bumping it up so Its ready for the picture.
Yesterday Iggi and I were sailing in the hood. (West Seattle) and completely by accident we found a HUGE tiki face on the side of a mid century house. I could have kicked myself for not having my camera. Im going back this morning to snap a few shots and attempt to make contact with the native inhabitants of the dwelling. Wish me luck!!! at the very lest I will return with pics and post them shortly. Dawn

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-31 12:15 pm   Permalink

Ok here's the pics. Its kinda gloomy out today so the pics are on the dark side. If the sun goes out i will go back and re shoot. I left a note inquiring about the tikis origins and history. Hopefully i will get a call soon.

View Profile of Sophista-tiki Send a personal message to Sophista-tiki  Email Sophista-tiki Goto the website of Sophista-tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-31 2:18 pm   Permalink

Sophista-tiki, Here is what looks to be the Origin of your Great find! Nice going.

Is the shield a Witco?

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-31 2:43 pm   Permalink

sure looks like the same one. I guess I didn't make the connection because of the scale. The pics from the Polynesian dont really give you the sense of its actual size . In person its HUGE! and it also looks like the botton tips under the mouth were cut off. Ok, Ive been making comparisons to the 2 pics and its definatly the same one. The top points have also been cut off. but where the lines of the induvidual planks are match up perfectly. cant wait to find out how it ended up in a carport

[ This Message was edited by: Sophista-tiki 2008-08-31 14:55 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sophista-tiki 2008-08-31 16:42 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sophista-tiki 2008-09-01 08:01 ]

Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-08-31 6:46 pm   Permalink

OK, dont laugh at me but I just moved the page over to the left and NOW I can see the GIANT TIKI MASK ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE BUILDING!!!!! I never saw it in the picture before because it was off my computer screen.

What a goob Im cracking up. so please ignore my previous comment about how I couldn't tell the size >...

[ This Message was edited by: sophista-tiki 2008-09-01 07:50 ]

sweetpea
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-02 09:46 am   Permalink

super cool Dawn!
Where is it?

Also, to answer about going to the Tradewinds, actually I did, still back in high school.
It was dark enough that we snuck in and no-one bothered to card me. The place was super cool, and the neon outside was fab! We were too worried about getting kicked out that we didnt order drinks, so no comment on those.

View Profile of sweetpea Send a personal message to sweetpea  Email sweetpea Goto the website of sweetpea     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sophista-tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2008-09-02 1:52 pm   Permalink

I made contact! The owner called me this morning and I immediately went over for a visit. we spent the whole morning chatting,as I suspected she had no idea that there was current interest in tiki history. She told me great stories about going to the Polynesian and how it really was the nicest restaurant in Seattle at the time.
Long story short, the giant mask was found floating in Elliot Bay. Apparently pieces of decor were being chucked in the water before they hauled the building away.

[ This Message was edited by: sophista-tiki 2008-09-02 21:15 ]

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation