[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Making Fake Bamboo
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Making Fake Bamboo
pariartspaul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-22 09:52 am   Permalink

Here are some tips on making fake bamboo for your backyard projects that will last for years and years:

1. For structural members like sign posts and supports - use steel poles (the steel poles they sell at Home Depot for chain link fences are perfect). For the bamboo segment seams use good old Bondo to get the shape, smoothing it out with stiff paper. To paint use Rustoleum brushed on. I use a real piece of bamboo as a model when I paint.
You can bolt these metal bamboo pieces together to make a lot of strong projects that youd never be able to do with real bamboo. (Or you can weld them together if you know how to do it.) To hide the bolts wrap gardening twine around the connections and it will look like the poles are lashed together. For sign posts, sink the pole into a 2 hole and fill with Quickcrete You can really fool your friends with this fake bamboo they wont know its not real until you tell them.

2. This second method is pretty amazing and you can use it for decorative pieces as well as for any project you want to pipe water through like fountains or drainpipes. An artist friend told me about it years ago and it works great.
Use pvc pipe in whatever diameter you like. For the bamboo segment seams, first score lightly around the diameter with an exacto knife. Then carefully heat the segment with a little blow torch until the pvc starts to soften keep turning as you heat it - it will naturally start to raise. When you get it to where it looks good take the torch away and let it cool. Repeat for the other segments. When done, paint with Rustoleum.

I tried this on one of those pvc mister kits and it turned out great!

You can make just about anything you can dream up with these two methods. If anyone has any other ideas I'd love to hear about them!

View Profile of pariartspaul Send a personal message to pariartspaul  Email pariartspaul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-22 11:05 am   Permalink

Lets see some photos.

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pariartspaul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-22 3:04 pm   Permalink

Okay, hope these images upload okay, I'm just learning how to do it!

This is a project I did about 5 years ago in our old house - converted a 1935 garage into a tiki bar.

In the first picture you can see welded steel for the overhang supports and also for the window on the right. The steel was attached into the framework before the stucco was applied to the building. On the far right what looks like a bamboo ladder is made of welded steel and was bolted to the wall to provide access to the roof.

In the second picture you see welded steel doors made of steel tubes painted to look like bamboo. The bamboo in the center under the overhang is actually a functional drainpipe and it is made of pvc.

The third picture is a far shot of the same building about a year later. Look closely and you will see a waterfall on the right overhang falling into the pool. There is a fake water tower up on the roof and it looks like the water is being fed from the tower via bamboo (pvc) piping - but the waterfall is fed from the pool from a hidden pipe and routed up to the overhang.

You can see a lot more pictures of the finished project at:
http://www.pariarts.com/mus/hq/tikibar1.html

[ This Message was edited by: pariartspaul on 2003-12-22 15:11 ]

View Profile of pariartspaul Send a personal message to pariartspaul  Email pariartspaul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-22 6:13 pm   Permalink

Damn, it looks like your taking things to a new level of unattainability. In other words...awesome work! Me? I can't even hang my pictures right.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiStitch
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-12-22 10:12 pm   Permalink

That is the most beautiful backyard i've ever seen! Absolutely incredible! Keep the tips coming guys. Thanks so much!

View Profile of TikiStitch Send a personal message to TikiStitch      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-23 09:44 am   Permalink

The Mai Kai sign actually had me fooled. It is of course steel, about 6 inches in diameter, but painted to look like bamboo. I felt like such a dolt when I had to touch it to be sure. So much creativity in the tiki community!

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-23 2:24 pm   Permalink

I am absolutely amazed....!

Must.... go.... spend..... countless hours.... working on East Indies Room..... to... catch.... up....... !!!

Incredible work.... I'd love the chance to see in person some time!

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bike Shack
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-12-26 10:33 am   Permalink

Hi all
I have a pic of the the bondo way,under "Creating Tiki", called "Bamboo BMX Cruiser".

View Profile of Bike Shack Send a personal message to Bike Shack  Email Bike Shack     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-26 9:56 pm   Permalink

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pariartspaul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-27 08:38 am   Permalink

Yes, that's exactly it! And a great job too, the paint looks real good. Too cool!

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-27 11:15 am   Permalink

But we must add lots of twine wrap on that bike's joints to make it "right." ; )

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bike Shack
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-01-01 7:55 pm   Permalink

Hi all
Thanks a bunch.
This method works so well that no body even mentions the recktangle Bamboo on the back part of the frame.

View Profile of Bike Shack Send a personal message to Bike Shack  Email Bike Shack     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-01 8:02 pm   Permalink

Bike Shack-

You ever been to Sams? Tons of square Bamboo in the bar. It was real popular a while back. Edit your post fast and no one will even notice. There is such a thing as squared bamboo.

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bike Shack
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-01-02 12:22 pm   Permalink

Hi
No worries,,I woundn't hide the fact that I'm a novice Bamboo guy.

Thorsten Hasenkamm
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-02 1:39 pm   Permalink

VERY nice backyard!

View Profile of Thorsten Hasenkamm Send a personal message to Thorsten Hasenkamm  Email Thorsten Hasenkamm Goto the website of Thorsten Hasenkamm     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation