FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Making Fake Bamboo
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Making Fake Bamboo
Tacky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-05 7:33 pm   Permalink

Hi guys!

How about paint colors? Any that work better than others? I'm a landscape design student and I'd love to be able to make some fake bamboo!

Bondo-at auto parts stores?

Mahalo!

Tacky

View Profile of Tacky Tiki Send a personal message to Tacky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pariartspaul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-06 2:59 pm   Permalink

Yes, Bondo that you get at the auto parts place is the stuff! You have maybe 5 minutes to work with it before it get rock hard. After you can sand it.
For paint, I found Rustoleum works great and lasts for years (for outside stuff). The have an ochre kind of color that's good for a base coat. You can tint it with brown, black, white - all standard Rustoleum colors. I think they come in pint or quart cans - and you brush it on. Make sure to get paint thinner too.

View Profile of pariartspaul Send a personal message to pariartspaul  Email pariartspaul Goto the website of pariartspaul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Biotron2000
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-18 1:46 pm   Permalink

Would you (or anyone) mind sharing the painting techniques used to attain the bamboo look? I can roll paint onto a wall but my expertise ends there.

...when drums begin to pound, my head full - BIG sound!
[img]http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/images/avatars/3fc1bc033d70dcbbea619.gif[/im

View Profile of Biotron2000 Send a personal message to Biotron2000  Email Biotron2000 Goto the website of Biotron2000     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pariartspaul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-21 08:12 am   Permalink

Yes, as I said Rustoleum works really well on the metal and bondo. I use the regular glossy Rustoleum, it gives a nice finish. First a light sanding overall, then I mix an ochre type color for the base coat using Rustoleum's off the shelf yellow ochre mixed with just a little brown and white to tone it down and give a more natural look. Then let it dry all day.
Once the base color is dry, I wet blend the finish colors by starting with the ochre base color again, and then blend some brown where the segment separations are, and then some lighter areas (ochre mixed with white) on the longer sections. For variety, you can mix a little green in here and there to make it look like newer bamboo.
After this coat is dry to the touch, you can come in with some matte black and a teeny brush to paint cracks and splits in here and there, this really finishes it off well and makes it look authentic.
And really, I find the best thing to do is to have some real bamboo with you to use as a color model.

View Profile of pariartspaul Send a personal message to pariartspaul  Email pariartspaul Goto the website of pariartspaul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-28 8:58 pm   Permalink

I have seen the PVC bamboo before, but it was a commercial product called "Duracane". It is PVC and already painted exactly like bamboo some one in Flordia sells it.

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiboy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-03-31 01:08 am   Permalink

This PVC trick works great. I used it for a bar rail around the edge of my Tiki Bar. I used 2inch PVC and glued it together using elbows at the corners. Next I used Plumbers Putty, a epoxy product with the consistancy of clay. I just sliced off a piece of it, kneaded it until pliable, then wrappped it around the PVC and formed it into a ridge like bamboo has at the joints. I even poked it with a pointy stick to form the little holes where the branches would have been. A little sanding and paint and Voila, Instant Bamboo.
Tikiboy

View Profile of tikiboy Send a personal message to tikiboy  Email tikiboy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pariartspaul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-03-31 08:23 am   Permalink

tikiboy, great tip! That plummer's putty is amazing stuff, it can get it expensive if you need to to a lot of areas, but it does sculpt wonderfully and dries rock hard.

Spaceboy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-07-31 9:00 pm   Permalink

I just tried the score with a knife and blow torch method on some old PVC I had laying around. Wow! I was amazed. Look:

This is just painted with amber shellac afterward, no paint. I'm sure with some paint it would look better. I think the shellac melts the surface of the PVC a little, so it's difficult to get a smooth coat.

It's easy to bend the PVC once it's hot. You can make it slightly crooked if you want and you can control how much the nodes bulge out by compressing or pulling the segments. The thinner PVC works better (faster).

Thanks Paul!

-Don

View Profile of Spaceboy Send a personal message to Spaceboy  Email Spaceboy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2007-08-01 8:40 pm   Permalink

Those look great Don!
Now lets see that Kahiki fireplace replica
you did.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tornhalo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-01 8:57 pm   Permalink

I'd really like to see a step by step photo series for that one Spaceboy..

View Profile of Tornhalo Send a personal message to Tornhalo  Goto the website of Tornhalo ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vinman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-02 08:30 am   Permalink

Wow, that looks great. I'm definitely gonna have to try that for some of my backyard projects. What is the diameter of the larger piece in that picture?

View Profile of Vinman Send a personal message to Vinman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Central
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-02 09:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-01 20:40, tikiskip wrote:
Those look great Don!
Now lets see that Kahiki fireplace replica
you did.

View Profile of Jeff Central Send a personal message to Jeff Central  Email Jeff Central Goto the website of Jeff Central     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-02 11:23 am   Permalink

COOL!

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
harro
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-02 6:25 pm   Permalink

great thread!!!
love to see some more pics too.

View Profile of harro Send a personal message to harro  Email harro     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Spaceboy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-08-02 10:43 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-08-02 08:30, Vinman wrote:
Wow, that looks great. I'm definitely gonna have to try that for some of my backyard projects. What is the diameter of the larger piece in that picture?

Thanks. It's a piece of schedule 40 2" (inside diameter) pipe. The smaller one I believe is schedule 20 1.5"

View Profile of Spaceboy Send a personal message to Spaceboy  Email Spaceboy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation