FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Making Fake Bamboo
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Making Fake Bamboo
Tiki-Atari
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-07 7:17 pm   Permalink

Wow. Just wow. I'd like to second the request for the step by step (such as can be done).
I'm really amazed by how nice this looks.

View Profile of Tiki-Atari Send a personal message to Tiki-Atari  Goto the website of Tiki-Atari     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vinman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-09 4:48 pm   Permalink

Here is my attempt at PVC bamboo. I used 1 1/4 160 psi pipe from Lowes I sanded off the printing and rip sawed it into half round. Next I scored with a carpet knife and used a butane torch to create the nodes. Then they were painted with Krylon Fusion spray paint, glossy buttercream color and finally a coat of thinned amber shellac. These are gonna go on my pool shed with some Lauhala matting to create a hut facade. I'll post pics of the final product when we are through.

View Profile of Vinman Send a personal message to Vinman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-09 6:55 pm   Permalink

Pretty amazing results - wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen the pics!

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bogielocks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-20 5:19 pm   Permalink

Hey experienced fake bamboo makers...

I found some cheap plastic shelving at a local store for $6. My plan is to show some of my mugs on them. I was wondering if it would be easy to turn these shelves into a fake bamboo shelf? One problem I have is they are a black pvc plastic. Any ideas if it would work with black? Maybe painting white first. Too much trouble? Hey, maybe I'll find some white ones at another of the same store chain.

Here's what they look like, just so you have an idea...

Cheers!

Rick

View Profile of Bogielocks Send a personal message to Bogielocks      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vinman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-20 11:08 pm   Permalink

Well white tubing would be better, but Krylon Fusion would probably cover well enough to hide the black. I found the buttercream color to be just about perfect as a base coat.

View Profile of Vinman Send a personal message to Vinman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Benzart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-21 05:26 am   Permalink

Are you sure that's not the real Stuff and you're not trying to pull the bamboo over our eyes?
Looks like lot of work but with Perfect results.

View Profile of Benzart Send a personal message to Benzart  Email Benzart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bogielocks
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-21 4:00 pm   Permalink

Hey Vinman,

Thanks for the pointers. While shopping today I found a few identical shelves in white. Woo Hoo! I'll keep ya posted on how they turn out.

Cheers!

Rick

View Profile of Bogielocks Send a personal message to Bogielocks      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vinman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-21 8:17 pm   Permalink

Benzart- It's 100% fake I swear.

Bogielocks- If you use the torch method to create the bamboo nodes be very careful not to over do it or your shelves might wind up crooked and it could weaken them. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Good luck.

CheekyGirl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-21 11:14 pm   Permalink

Wow, looks great. Can't wait to try these methods.

View Profile of CheekyGirl Send a personal message to CheekyGirl  Email CheekyGirl Goto the website of CheekyGirl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vinman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-09-23 9:57 pm   Permalink

Here's where the lions share of my faux bamboo went...

Still not done, but almost there.

djflex

Posted: 2008-12-29 7:30 pm   Permalink

Hello everybody,

well it was christmas and my lovely New Caledonian wife wanted something special so i went to the nearest hardware store and bought a heap of stuff to build my first water feature as a gift.

here is the result.

let me know what you think?

View Profile of djflex Send a personal message to djflex      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kountzyro
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-12-29 11:05 pm   Permalink

I'm in the scenery business, so I know a good fake-bamboo when I see it. And I must say damn fine results all around.

View Profile of kountzyro Send a personal message to kountzyro      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Vinman
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2008-12-29 11:22 pm   Permalink

Looks great! You have a much better touch with the larger stuff than I do.

pia tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2009-02-05 10:42 pm   Permalink

This is a lamp I made in my dorm. Well, went outside for the blowtorching and spraypainting. I must say, I got plenty of odd looks from the drunks wandering by.

With Flash

Without flash

Also, I have it plugged into one of those remote controll outlets you can get during Christmas so i can operate it with the push of a button. Keeps the ladies impressed.

View Profile of pia tiki Send a personal message to pia tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-05 10:56 pm   Permalink

the clapper. you rock.

bd

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation