FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Making Fake Bamboo
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
Making Fake Bamboo
big daddy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-05 10:57 pm   Permalink

seriously, nice work

View Profile of big daddy Send a personal message to big daddy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seeksurf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2009-02-06 12:51 pm   Permalink

Nice work on sprucing up the yard. I like the lamp looks like you
captured the universe in there.

View Profile of seeksurf Send a personal message to seeksurf  Email seeksurf Goto the website of seeksurf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DejaVoodoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2010-03-18 7:47 pm   Permalink

It's next to impossible to find large diameter bamboo poles in the north east part of the country. Sure I can order it online but shipping ain't cheap and I'm on a budget! Plus, I only need a few pieces. So...I think I'm gonna try my hand at the PVC bamboo. I love a good faux painting project and this just sounds too easy NOT to try!

There's just one snag in my plan. I don't have a table saw and can't quite figure out how to rip the pipe down the center so I have two pieces with a flat back. If I buy my PVC at Lowe's or Home Depot, do you think they'd be willing to cut it for me? Also, is it better to slice the PVC in half AFTER you've done the torching for the knuckles or can I do it beforehand? Thanks!

View Profile of DejaVoodoo Send a personal message to DejaVoodoo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2010-03-19 5:27 pm   Permalink

DejaVoodoo, I think you will have a hard time getting the home improvement store to cut that PVC for you, but no harm in asking

Here's another PVC faux bamboo technique with a little more dimension at the knuckles. Posted by TC's Kewlava (who hasn't been around in a while). The PVC is heated with a torch and then compressed so the knuckle bulges out. This is a picture of unfinished "shamboo" but it shows the bunge well

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sir2u

Posted: 2010-08-02 3:21 pm   Permalink

I just made my first PVC bamboo piece. It took about 20 minutes and looks absolutely real. Burnt it with a torch to make nodes, then brushed simple amber shellac on, that's it. Thanks tikicentral website!

View Profile of sir2u Send a personal message to sir2u  Email sir2u Goto the website of sir2u     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sir2u

Posted: 2010-08-24 4:21 pm   Permalink

Here's a wood rack I built out of pvc to look like bamboo.

View Profile of sir2u Send a personal message to sir2u  Email sir2u Goto the website of sir2u     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
steppedup

Posted: 2011-08-12 5:57 pm   Permalink

Hey guys - thanks for the burn and compress/ amber shellac technique!

Used it to create a giant basket for my pool's inflatables.

The rope is not really holding it together - just for decoration.

I left one PVC end exposed because people refuse to believe it's not bamboo until I show them the white innards of the pipe.

Thanks again!

View Profile of steppedup Send a personal message to steppedup      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sur2baja
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-28 3:20 pm   Permalink

Great ideas here! I've been playing with this method and I think I've got it down. I have a tikified BBQ area with fairly soft lighting and I need some spotlights on my grill so I can see what the heck I'm cooking. I want to combine this fake bamboo idea with some sort of hanging spotlight idea. I can make a simple spotlight but hey, that's no fun. If any of you have any unique ideas, please post them and I'll try them out. Thanks in advance!

View Profile of sur2baja Send a personal message to sur2baja      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-01 1:36 pm   Permalink

I'm curious how the pvc faux bamboo is holding up in the elements for those that have their's outside?

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trailerpark Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-01 5:55 pm   Permalink

I live in Las Vegas and the sun can destroy anything. I have some faux bamboo under the patio and some in more direct sunlight. The protected bamboo can go a couple of years while the direct sun could use a touch up every year. I put several coats on my PVC when I originally make it. I start with a primer, then 2-3 coats of paint followed by a coat of amber shellac. When I 'touched up' the bamboo last year, I just put on a coat of amber shellac and it looked great.

View Profile of Trailerpark Tiki Send a personal message to Trailerpark Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jimsflies
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-02 04:27 am   Permalink

I don't think shellac is usually for outdoor use? I wonder if there is another product that would work better outdoors?

Does it crack and flake off? Do you have to do any prep before recoating (power wash, etc.)?

I'm contemplating using faux bamboo for the front of my outside bar. I don't want to create a future headache.

I wonder if tinted polyurethane or even trying to dye the pvc would be a better option.

[ This Message was edited by: jimsflies 2013-07-02 04:30 ]

View Profile of jimsflies Send a personal message to jimsflies  Goto the website of jimsflies     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Grand Poobah
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-02 06:28 am   Permalink

I wanted to use the pvc as a wire conduit. I actually worried about the outdoor use of shellac. I tired it and have had it outside for over a year and there has been little change in its appearance. Most of what I have spends a large portion of the day in shade, but the fake bamboo looks much better than regular conduit. I really sanded it down to get the barcodes and stamping off of the pvc. I tried to sand in one direction too. This created groves in the pvc which I think may help in the finish taking hold.

View Profile of Grand Poobah Send a personal message to Grand Poobah      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Gino
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-07-02 07:09 am   Permalink

So glad I stumbled upon this thread! Can't wait to give it a go as well.

View Profile of Trader Gino Send a personal message to Trader Gino  Goto the website of Trader Gino     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trailerpark Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-18 3:45 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-02 04:27, jimsflies wrote:
I don't think shellac is usually for outdoor use? I wonder if there is another product that would work better outdoors?

Does it crack and flake off? Do you have to do any prep before recoating (power wash, etc.)?

I'm contemplating using faux bamboo for the front of my outside bar. I don't want to create a future headache.

I wonder if tinted polyurethane or even trying to dye the pvc would be a better option.

[ This Message was edited by: jimsflies 2013-07-02 04:30 ]

I'm not an expert, but I was trying to find a coating that would give a nice finish and protect the paint from exposure. The shellac did protect the paint from peeling but it did fade in the direct sunlight.

View Profile of Trailerpark Tiki Send a personal message to Trailerpark Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-19 08:47 am   Permalink

These photos are from the Half Moon Inn.
This faux Bamboo, or foboo is made of metal then painted.
Thought it looked great!
Bamboo turns to $^%t here in Ohio fast.
As you can see this is a paint job, not shellac.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
‹(•Ώ•)›‹(•Ώ•)›‹(•Ώ•)›‹(•Ώ•)›•:*TIKISKIP™*:•:*MAKES*:•:*FLOAT*:•:*LIGHTS*:•‹(•Ώ•)›‹(•Ώ•)›‹(•Ώ•)›‹(•Ώ•)›

__‹(•Ώ•)›__‹(•Ώ•)›__‹(•Ώ•)›__‹(•Ώ•)›__‹(•Ώ•)›__

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation