FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Making Fake Bamboo
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
Making Fake Bamboo
pariartspaul
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-08-01 07:34 am   Permalink

I received a message this morning from Jeanne asking to see the original images I posted in this article. Unfortunately I don't have them anymore. However I just went outside and took this picture of my old project to show how good this fake metal bamboo looks after all these years. The metal bamboo pole there is part of a shade structure I made some years back and now it has a big trumpet vine growing all over it. You can see the trumpet vine's twisted trunk there. The fake bamboo was made using a chain link fence metal pole from Home Depot. I cleaned the bare metal with alcohol and gave it a good sanding before applying the bondo treatment and Rustoleum paint. You can see it still looks great, and there it is next to real bamboo poles and you really can't tell which is which, lol. By the way all the other pictures people posted of their projects on this thread are wonderful. And yes PVC pipe also makes a great looking bamboo, you can even have water running through it! Use a torch on a scored line on PVC to make the node bulges, then paint with Rustoleum. Good luck with your project Jeanne, please post some pictures!

View Profile of pariartspaul Send a personal message to pariartspaul  Email pariartspaul     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
coldwarspacemonkey
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-03-01 12:06 pm   Permalink

So, the hummingbirds needed a feeder. The feeder needed a support. And the smart people on TC had a solution! Thanks to all of you for the detailed instructions on making fake bamboo - good results on the first try. Oh, and the hummers like it too!

View Profile of coldwarspacemonkey Send a personal message to coldwarspacemonkey  Email coldwarspacemonkey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-03-01 1:02 pm   Permalink

That looks pretty sweet, Space Monkey! I, too, am thinking of going the fake bamboo route for a future project. Nice to see the concept is flexible enough for multiple uses!

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
coldwarspacemonkey
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-03-01 1:29 pm   Permalink

Thanks Prikli! Just make sure to burn it outside - the fumes are nasty!

View Profile of coldwarspacemonkey Send a personal message to coldwarspacemonkey  Email coldwarspacemonkey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation