[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki Stuff from my Hawaiiana Collection
Stuff from my Hawaiiana Collection
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-23 6:20 pm   Permalink

here are some easily scanned things from my hawaiiana collection. enjoy:

& this is actually tahitian:

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-23 7:02 pm   Permalink

Duke Kahanamoku is a dreamboat!

www.flounderart.com

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-23 10:19 pm   Permalink

Duke Kahanamoku was one of America's greatest athletes & brightest stars. Great stuff Chris.

[ This Message was edited by: Shipwreckjoey on 2003-12-23 22:26 ]

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-23 10:21 pm   Permalink

And he was yummy.

Tiki Chris, what's the story on that weird shirtmaker ad?

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-24 06:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-12-23 22:21, Humuhumu wrote:

Tiki Chris, what's the story on that weird shirtmaker ad?

It's from THE POLYNESIAN, which was a magazine "issued at sea on board Matson Liners." I don't have a date but I'm guessing it's pre-fifties. It appears to be a joke ad, but I honestly don't know.

It seems to be a pretty good example of a considerably less PC time. & it offers a glimpse into the sort of goofy exotic expectations that passengers aboard a liner to Hawaii thought they might have in store.

Anyway, that scan's a bit fuzzy. Here's what the ad says(misspellings etc. are intentional):

MUSA-SHIYA
THE SHIRTMAKER
(Also kimonomake, pajamamake & Dry good sell)

I hope you have a good healths today. Then if you came Honolulu I was glad your kindly purchase very often me. I was possetion the supreme works to shirt, kimono, pajama, robe, Japanese clothes, etc. and etc. One my friend shis propritor owned silk mill Japan, I had anything very cheaply. Also Japanese rarely curious sell. Then I fell hanpy at the time you came until my shap Honolulu. By your utmost confidence I am now your highly attentions at the directing find its.

Until find shap, small obscured places, please until become fish market North King Streets makai sides. Pass away. Then little more River nice sign look my shap nambers 179 between this place.

I hope your favorable majesty my shap.

This time paper no more. Maybe tomorrow emit somethings also. Sayonara.

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Chris on 2003-12-24 06:14 ]

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kanaka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-24 06:43 am   Permalink

Humuhumu,

MUSA-SHIYA was one of the original and probably most famous (besides Duke's lines)aloha shirt makers. His ad's cleverly used pigeon english of the island to entice customers to buy his exotic wares. The is a great detailed story about him in the
Aloha shirt Book alos available at Paradise on a Hanger

Scotty

View Profile of Kanaka Send a personal message to Kanaka  Email Kanaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-24 06:46 am   Permalink

thanks for the info scotty! wow.

U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation