FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu?
Sneakytiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-27 01:16 am   Permalink

Bring a flask of rum for the firedance show!!
It makes the evening at the PCC a bit more enjoyable.

View Profile of Sneakytiki Send a personal message to Sneakytiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-27 03:20 am   Permalink

Eh howzit Chris,

Go to da PCC, bring lotsa film and have a good time. Make sure you catch da Samoan show during the day, thats my favorite. Get there(Samoan show) a little early or you'll be baking in da sun.

The Tongan show would be my next best show. Dem braddahz gon pound da drums!! afta go to any show. Da souvenirs are expensive though.

shopping: yes da Hunter is a good wun. There are a few antique stores in da Waikiki area to.

Whale watching is going on right now also.

If I think of anything else I'll post it for you. You have my numba so, give me a ring wen you have a unplaned day.

Alohaz

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-27 12:58 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the great advice, everybody! The Hunter in Kailua sounds cool. I'm sure we'll check it out.

Yes, MANIC, we are going to Hawaii next week. We'll spend half our time on Oahu & half on Molokai. Really looking forward to it!

There's a wealth of info about Oahu on TC. So, I didn't see the need to start another "things to do on Oahu" thread, but I did want to know about the PPC.

QUESTION: Should we book in advance for the PPC or is it possible to just show up?

GECKO: I'll definitely call! Let me know what your schedule's like so we can hang at a time most convenient for you!

Mahalo & Happy New Year,
Chris

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
manic cat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-29 09:42 am   Permalink

Bon Voyage!

have a beautiful time.

manic c

View Profile of manic cat Send a personal message to manic cat  Email manic cat     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Chris
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-20 2:53 pm   Permalink

hey thanks everybody for the advice! we loved our day at pcc. the marquesan compound & the boat parade were highlights. i'd recommend this place to anybody too. however, both em & i felt that we could have foregone the luau & the evening show & still been satified (w/ more time to roam around too).

we had a lot of fun on this trip (5 nights on oahu - waimanalo bay & 5 nights on molokai). in addition to meeting gecko & his wahine, the best moment during the trip was probably when this happened (what seemed like) 15 ft away from us:

[ This Message was edited by: Tiki Chris on 2004-01-20 15:01 ]

View Profile of Tiki Chris Send a personal message to Tiki Chris  Email Tiki Chris Goto the website of Tiki Chris     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-20 6:12 pm   Permalink

We've booked our trip and it includes 1 day at the PCC. Thanks for posting about this. I wouldn't have known otherwise.

Oki NiKsoKoWa
(Hello all my relatives)
TikiJungle.com

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Zeta
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2009-04-06 1:56 pm   Permalink

1969 Postcard found in Mexico City

Samoan Village Chief Tapusoa demonstrates Samoan kitchen skills at Polynesian Cultural Center, Laie, Oahu; Hawaii.
Photo by Larry Witt

View Profile of Zeta Send a personal message to Zeta  Goto the website of Zeta     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-04-25 11:38 pm   Permalink

I just saw photos of my parents visit in the 60s!

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-08-20 11:45 pm   Permalink

The Rapa Nui exhibit looks incredible:

Apparently, it was carved and recreated, in substantial part, by an authentic Rapa Nui carver (although upon reflection, those Moai were not carved in the lifetime of anyone still living).

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-11 5:30 pm   Permalink

Found these postcards today

jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-12 1:22 pm   Permalink

Ahh, PCC. I used to work there in the early 80s. I was a VIP tour guide and head Spanish guide. Since I'm totally Caucasian looking I would always start my tour by saying my name and that I'm Chinese Hawaiian, but I look Scots and I speak Spanish. What a mixed up world I'm from. I would say this because I didn't want my group to feel cheated out of a non-native experience. Most employees at the Polynesian Cultural Center were students next door at the little BYU-Hawaii campus. The Center was built, yes by the "Mormon" church for two reasons; the first one was to give the poor students (90% of us) an opportunity to have part-time employment (it put me through school with literally pennies to spare) and the second reason was to share with the world the beautiful cultures of the Pacific along with teaching the world the difference between the island cultures. Because after many decades of modern Western media mixing the cultures as one. We see this in movies, TV and yes in tiki bars. The mixing is not a bad thing (because they all still come from the same place - Oceania) but it nice that john-Q public can know the difference. I notice the pure tikiphiles on TC know well the difference between tikis from Hawaii, the Marquesas or Aotearoa and I'm impressed.

Another important purpose of PCC, although indirect, was the teaching of the indigenous cultures of the Pacific to native islanders raised outside of the Pacific. I was raised in central Washington State and I only met one other Hawaiian there, I had Californian/Samoan, Utah & Missouri/Tongan and Hawaiian New Yorkers as classmates, for example and it was great to learn our roots. Perhaps this is where my love of tiki germinated. At BYU-Hawaii (which was set up by the church to teach Pacific Rim students) there where a lot of real island students who's first language was a Polynesian dialect and it was these students (from the islands) that I learned the most from at PCC and I hoped they learned from me at the University next door.

I'm not trying to sound preachy or anything but I'm proud as a Hawaiian/Mormon to know that when the 1st Mormon Missionaries arrived at Hawaii it was 70 years after the other Christian Missionaries arrived but within just a handful of years these few missionaries (plus early Hawaiian converts) converted more Hawaiians than all of the the other Christian Churches combined even with the 70 year head start. One reason is the church embraces other cultures, it does not change them to a western one. The early Mormon missionaries learned and taught in Hawaiian, they DID NOT try to teach English to the natives then preach to them in English (of course there were exceptions to the rule but it was the rule). Also I just read the new revision of the book "The Hula" a chronological volume on the history of Hula. I was almost shocked to know that in an crucial chapter in our hula history (turn of the last century when hula was oppressed by children of early missionaries in Hawaii) there were only about a dozen or two Hula practitioners left and they danced in secret behind closed doors. The book states that the majority of these now historical figures in Hawaiian history where Mormon women. Without these women authentic Hula would of been lost forever.

Lastly we had a running joke at PCC and some of you who toured the place may have had this experience; yes because PCC is sponsored by the "Mormon" (a nick name) church there is a dress code for all our guest, no beach attire, more specifically bikini tops or 2-piece clothes by women. Of course people visiting Hawaii with its year around warmth get a little preturbed by the rule but we tell these angry guest (and it never fails to cheer them up again) that; "It was the western Christain Missionaries that made our ancestors put on clothes, now it's our turn to make YOU wear clothes!" haha, now enjoy a couple screen savers of Elvis at PCC from PARADISE HAWAIIAN STYLE:

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2013-03-12 13:32 ]

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2013-03-12 13:37 ]

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2013-03-12 13:39 ]

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2013-03-12 23:02 ]

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-13 12:31 am   Permalink

After writing the above post (with its many edits) I went to Laie home of the Polynesian Cultural Center for personal business and I took these picts on the way for my tiki tour of the east coast of O'ahu. Enjoy.

Tiki carvers house past Kaneohe:

Colored tourist masks along road

Still empty Rainbow Castle building from Roberts WAIKIKI TIKI

More tikis for sale right before Laie

We've arrived! The next 15 tikis are on the outside of PCC.

Can you imagine what's on the inside?

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SandraDee
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-13 12:43 am   Permalink

Creativenative thank you for your PCC post and the pictures! I'm sitting in Kailua now near the end of my Oahu vacation and may be heading to the PCC tomorrow. Every photo you posted of the sights I just took yesterday you should of got some shots of the Aframe next to the PCC--blew me away!

Hope I get over to the PCC before I head back to the mainland--so great to read your insight/tie in with the Mormon church.

Mahalo!

View Profile of SandraDee Send a personal message to SandraDee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-13 12:46 am   Permalink

Thanks so much for the first hand account of the PCC, creative native. I'm definitely going to visit the next time I'm on Oahu!

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-14 01:41 am   Permalink

Thanks guys. For Ms Dee, sorry I thought the now McDonald's A-frame photo was already posted in page one of this thread but I was wrong. I saw it somewhere, anyway I did take a picture of it below. It's a Maori Polynesian Pop design, rare. Use to be a Polynesian (tiki) restaurant and when McDonald's bought it, they only renovated the kitchen & serving area and kept the rest intact. Should of took picts of the inside. Next time.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation