FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Caveman Restaurant?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Caveman Restaurant?
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-29 8:46 pm   Permalink

It existed...in Fort Lauderdale, Florida in the 60's and 70's! The back reads: "THE CAVES RESTAURANT, 2205 N. Federal Highway, Fort Lauderdale, Florida...Enter into glistening white tunnels leading you to your own private cave filled with brightly colored throw pillows. Caves seat from a romantic two to a jovial twelve. Serving great steaks, ocean-fresh seafood, grilled chicken breast, or a hearty slab of ribs. Unsurpassed service; sensational food". Check out the cave girl server's outfits! Lux Interior would have gone apeshit over this one!

[ This Message was edited by: Basement Kahuna on 2003-12-29 20:47 ]

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-29 8:56 pm   Permalink

is that Tiki Bree?

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Royale
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-29 8:57 pm   Permalink

"a jovial twelve"
Hellllo!?!?

View Profile of Tiki Royale Send a personal message to Tiki Royale  Email Tiki Royale     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-29 9:42 pm   Permalink

The photo reminds me of one of my favourite theme restaurants from my childhood called "The Cave". I remember visiting this Saskatoon, Saskatchewan restaurant at least a dozen times during the early eighties. I don't remember any "Lux Interior temptin" outfits, but it did have a cool waterfall wall behind the bar, and a virtual labyrinth of booths and tables. Thanks for sharing this BK!

[ This Message was edited by: Slacks Ferret on 2003-12-29 21:43 ]

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-29 11:58 pm   Permalink

CAPTAIN CA AA A V E MM AAA N!

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kanaka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-30 06:21 am   Permalink

I went to that one in Ft. Lauderdale as a kid a couple times. It was very cool but I don't remember much about the food. It was very Fred Flintstone. I was probably 8-12 years old. Yabba dabba doo......

Scotty

View Profile of Kanaka Send a personal message to Kanaka  Email Kanaka     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-30 07:07 am   Permalink

verie kewl... the 70's was all about creating biomorphic surfaces with expanded metal lath and sprayed-on-concrete...

there's a house in chevy chase, md with the exterior all curvaceous concrete like that. looks like papa smurf's house. perfect trip pad... groovy...

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-30 08:24 am   Permalink

There is a Szechuan restaurant (the name escapes me right now) in Ann Arbor, Michicgan that is like a cave inside, and they serve tiki drinks...

But no one dresses like a caveman!

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-12-30 11:28 am   Permalink

Me and Robin went there on our first visit to Fort Lauderdale a few years ago. We went there straight from the airport for dinner. We had ribs of course! They were OK but the atmosphere was great. After dinner we visited the Mai Kai for the first time. What a night! I have pictures I can post later.

Unfortunately, the last time I went to Florida (a couple of years ago) the Caves Restaurant was a mere shell of a building left. It had been gutted by fire!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Shipwreckjoey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-30 4:52 pm   Permalink

One brontoburger & a sabertooth tiger's milk comin' right up!

View Profile of Shipwreckjoey Send a personal message to Shipwreckjoey      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-12-30 9:15 pm   Permalink

Here's those pictures I took in May 2000:

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-30 9:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-12-30 08:24, tikifish wrote:
There is a Szechuan restaurant (the name escapes me right now) in Ann Arbor, Michicgan that is like a cave inside, and they serve tiki drinks...

But no one dresses like a caveman!

Should you remember, please post the name. or even it's general location. I'd love to check it out.

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-30 9:33 pm   Permalink

My last stay in Kona, Hawaii was at a huge resort decorated a la Space: 1999.... there was a bar there that was done up like you were in old lava caves. It had huge hollow lava columns that rose up thru the 2nd floor terrace of the resort, capped off with giant white dome skylights. I have photos somewhere, I'll post when I find.

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-30 10:23 pm   Permalink

I beleive the name is "Szechuan West". Hubby agrees. I will check on google...

Szechuan West
(Chinese)2161 W. Stadium
Ann Arbor, MI 48103
734-769-5722

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-30 10:25 pm   Permalink

I have to wran you, don't get your hopes TOO high - my tiki radar is set off kilter so ANYTHING remotely exotic gets me disproportionally excited. This is no Caveman Room or Mai Kai. It's just a cool chinese restaurant that has funny walls and a little fountain and serves exotic cocktails...

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation