FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Beyond Tiki » » Caveman Restaurant?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Caveman Restaurant?
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-12-31 09:32 am   Permalink

Another fun themed restaurant is at Disneyland. Of coarse I don't remember the name, but I'm sure some of you TCers have been there. The restaurant that is inside/next to, the “Pirates of The Caribbean” ride.
YO HO!
Addendum -------------
I remember the name now, "The Blue Bayou".

Here is a stupid addition, while I looked for the name on the net, this woman posted a photo of the woman's restroom stall in Club 33(private restaurant in Disneyland), that has full size cane seat/chair covers over the toilette.
By chance, this just may be the best "Royal Wahine Throne" to be found.

[ This Message was edited by: Unga Bunga on 2003-12-31 10:07 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Unga Bunga on 2003-12-31 10:10 ]

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-01 09:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-12-30 22:25, tikifish wrote:
I have to wran you, don't get your hopes TOO high - just a cool chinese restaurant that has funny walls and a little fountain and serves exotic cocktails...

Thanks for the warning. But this is Michigan after all. I takes whats I can getz. My tiki restaurant routine currently consists of driving past WAVES to and from work everyday. Humph.

-Z

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
puamana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-01 12:53 pm   Permalink

Here's a matchbook with another view of the Caves:

View Profile of puamana Send a personal message to puamana      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
donhonyc
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-03 10:12 am   Permalink

Yup, this place sure did exist. In fact it was literally right down the street from the Mai Kai. The Caves was one of those places I missed the boat on. Us locals looked at it as another 'tourist trap'. Of course once I realized how cool it could actually be they tore the place down to, well.....rubble. I remember in the 70s that they did some advertising on television. Not a full commercial, just something like "Channel 7 News...brought to you by 'The Caves'".

Once again a difficult lesson learned: always go to underappreciated campy restaurants and attractions before they are extinct.

View Profile of donhonyc Send a personal message to donhonyc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikifish
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-04 5:56 pm   Permalink

Zombified, you have been to Chin's in Livonia, right?

View Profile of tikifish Send a personal message to tikifish  Email tikifish Goto the website of tikifish     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-01-05 06:43 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-01-04 17:56, tikifish wrote:
Zombified, you have been to Chin's in Livonia, right?

a billion times! but it's just over an hour away. Waves is only about 10 minutes. So getting my non-tiki friends interested in the drive is a challenge. Especially when sitting at Waves and one of them says about the music, "Ya know, I really like that Jimmy Buffet"

-Z

[ This Message was edited by: Feelin' Zombified on 2004-01-05 06:44 ]

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-05 5:17 pm   Permalink

I just discovered this place while doing some archival research.

blog

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Philot
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-05-06 07:29 am   Permalink

Just for the sake of completeness, and to document that such a place did once exist...

In the early 1990's (IIRC) there was a Resturaunt called Bedrock's in Brandon, FL (East of Tampa) that had a similar caveman / dinosuar theme. I seem to recall the building itself wasn't sculpted shotcrete on lath, but the interior was decorated that way. They had a brontosaurous sticking its head in from a trompe d oeil window. I think that the brontosaur head may have had some rudimentary animatronics in it.

View Profile of Philot Send a personal message to Philot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Slacks Ferret
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-19 8:37 pm   Permalink

I just got back from Saskatoon last week amd while I was there I convinced my wife that we needed to visit "The Cave" restaurant. (I mentioned it earlier in this thread)

Am I ever glad we did! The food was awesome. I highly recommend it if you ever find yourself in Saskatoon.

And if you go, get the spaghetti instead of fries or a potato. Their spaghetti is sooo gooood.

Some photos:

The Cave opened in 1976 .

I grabbed one of their placemats. It has a nice map diagram of the restaurant which really helps illustrate how the place is divided into little nooks and crannies...I'll post that later after I get around to scanning it.

Later!

View Profile of Slacks Ferret Send a personal message to Slacks Ferret  Email Slacks Ferret     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
pablus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-06-20 2:59 pm   Permalink

<<<In the early 1990's (IIRC) there was a Resturaunt called Bedrock's in Brandon, FL (East of Tampa) >>>

I live and work about a mile from that doomed, accursed spot. It's been 5 or 6 things since Bedrocks and is now a "coupon-buffet" type joint.

Bedrocks was very cool looking but as soon as The Flintstones movie played out it was over.

Brandon folk are the type of people that would eat warm, rhino fecal matter were it advertised on television or had a coupon.

Hence our lack of city government, even though there are well over 150,000 people within what would be the make-up of its municipality.

Largest unincorporated area, per capita, in the States.

When polled about whether they would like a city government or not, 96% of Brandonians responded, "...shhh, Judge Judy's on."

View Profile of pablus Send a personal message to pablus  Email pablus Goto the website of pablus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation